Heritage Owners Club

Dr. Z. Maz 18 Jr. 2x10....any experience?

Every Dr. Z I've played has been stellar. Every Dr. Z I've played has had to be turned up to ungodly levels to get the tone it's built for; even at 18 watts. So, depending on whats being traded ... I'd still go for a Dr. Z MAZ18.

Did that help? ....... probably not.

I have a Mini Z that I brought to PSP this year. However, I didn't get to play it as I had to leave early. I agree, you have to crank them, but you're rewarded with some beautiful tones. And my "Z" is horribly loud even at it's paltry 5 watt rating.

You can hit the sweet spot at lower volumes with an attenuator. Dr Z makes one called the Brake Lite. http://www.drzamps.com/products/brake_lite.html[/quote

My mini Z has the attenuator built in. Even with it in the fully attenuated position it's still way too loud for the house. So I have to wait til no one is home to Rawk-out.

I have a Dr Z Lite. Anybody want it? To me, all it does it make the amp distort at lower perceived volumes. Once you start turning it down the amp no longer sounds like the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this topic, but I'll weigh in anyway. I have a Maz 18 jr (but the 1x12 option). It's the best amp I've owned by far. Like many other good tube amps, it does like to be turned up, for sure -- like the master volume at noon or above. But I can control the overall loudness with the Brake Lite, using the Low input, and low gain (e.g., master volume at noon or above, with the gain at 10 o'clock). When I want more gain I use an OCD. It takes that and other pedals really well. In my experience the Brake Lite is nearly transparent (same sound, less volume).

It's NOT a bedroom amp. It's a be-heard-over-your-drummer amp. With a reasonable drummer, I can have the brake lite on its second lowest setting. Brake Lite all the way is OK for home practice, but maybe not late at night . . .

Tone-wise, it has its own thing, but it's closest to a vintage Vox (chimey) when clean, or a Marshall when using more gain. Not at all like a blackface or Fender tweed. Also, it's not a super-high-gain amp. Crank it and you'll get more classic rock vibe than modern metal.

I like it so much I also bought its little brother, the Maz 8 (which has a few added bells and whistles, but is basically a similar circuit with half the tubes). Even that isn't a bedroom amp!

Archived