Heritage Owners Club

To re-purpose a Hammond tone cabinet, or not.

HANGAR18

To re-purpose a Hammond tone cabinet, or not.

That is the question.

Having seen a few of the documentaries of those of you who set out to build their own guitar amplifiers, I can't help but wonder if this Hammond RP40 tone cabinet could be re-purposed somehow into an electric guitar amplifier. I don't feel like I would have the required technical knowledge or attention span required in order to hand wire my own tube amp from a kit, but I do wonder if it would be plausible for someone to convert this Hammond tone cabinet into a guitar amp. Or maybe it just isn't worth the effort.

What is a Tone Cabinet? Well, it is a combination of amplifier and speaker cabinet which was connected to a HUGE Hammond concert organ which was built around 1964, as the organ did not have any amplification of its own. It has two 15" speakers and two 12" speakers. (One of the 12's is aimed upward.) My wife and I sold the organ on Craigslist but the buyer didn't want the tone cabinet.

Looking at all those tubes inside this thing got me to thinking as described above. So, I have to make a decision as to what to do with this monstrosity. Keep it, sell it, turn it into a Frankenstein project? What should I do with it?

I'm no expert, but I'd pull the tubes for possible future use, and either use the cabinet as a side table to hold stuff (you wil probably have to put a similarly stained piece of wood on the top to do this or put it on the curb. Possibly pull the amp chassis, as I know there is at least one company that pulled Hammond organ guts and put them into small guitar combo amps. As it stands, I don't see it as a viable guitar amp, but again, I'm no expert, and this is all in my humble opinion. Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Analog Outfitters: ORGANic 15

http://www.gbase.com/gear/analog-outfitters-organic-15-2011#

p1_uvi2ihmst_so.jpg

p2_ufjdiozfn_ss.jpg

• Year: 2012
  • Manufacturer: Analog Outfitters
  • Model: ORGANic 15
  • Case: None
  • Color:
  • Condition: Brand New
  • Description: Hand crafted with premium parts from Vintage Hammond Organs that were no longer in use, taking superb tonal advantage of some of the finest output transformers ever made. The fine wooden cabinet is also from old Hammond consoles, and may include some minor scuffs and/ or nicks that quite possibly derive from a New Year's Eve party in Grandma's living room in 1961(?). We "love" the beautiful vintage tone, lush & controllable natural overdrive and funky vibe from this very limited availability amp. 15 watts of tonal nirvana (no, not those guys). No 2 are alike, and just about 100 will ever be made. (4 ohm cabinet, and available metal box version in 8 ohms at just $799- see pics, and more pics on request) Wolfe Guitars: * Jupiter, Florida @ 561-746-2209 DEMO VIDEOS- LINKS AT LEFT ALSO shown with 2 x 10 Analog Outfitters cabinet.

p1_uvi2ihmst_so.jpg

p2_ufjdiozfn_ss.jpg

• Color:
  • Description: Hand crafted with premium parts from Vintage Hammond Organs that were no longer in use, taking superb tonal advantage of some of the finest output transformers ever made. The fine wooden cabinet is also from old Hammond consoles, and may include some minor scuffs and/ or nicks that quite possibly derive from a New Year's Eve party in Grandma's living room in 1961(?). We "love" the beautiful vintage tone, lush & controllable natural overdrive and funky vibe from this very limited availability amp. 15 watts of tonal nirvana (no, not those guys). No 2 are alike, and just about 100 will ever be made. (4 ohm cabinet, and available metal box version in 8 ohms at just $799- see pics, and more pics on request) Wolfe Guitars: * Jupiter, Florida @ 561-746-2209 DEMO VIDEOS- LINKS AT LEFT ALSO shown with 2 x 10 Analog Outfitters cabinet.

Ah, yes, THAT'S where I've seen the guts of a Hammond Organ in an amp head; at the now-closed Brentwood, TN, Wolfe location. Ironically, these are made about 40 miles from my house, in Champaign, Illinois. Go Fighting Illini!!

p1_uvi2ihmst_so.jpg

p2_ufjdiozfn_ss.jpg

• Color:

Wow! That's interesting.

man, I would keep that thing and get a keyboard to plug into it!!

if you are set on getting rid of it, it's probably better to keep it stock than to spend a bunch of money you'll never get back in resale?

I would be more likely to just get a modern keyboard product of some sort which sounds like a Hammond than keep this huge thing around as a permanent fixture in the living room. It's in the way of where I want to put the new drum set. :)

Guest HRB853370

There is an amp builder in Atlanta that uses components from those old units. Goodsell Amplification. I am sure he would purchase it from you.

It was really interesting to see that my guess was right, in that yes, you can make a guitar amp out of the amplification circuits in a Hammond tone cabinet.

I'm still not inclined to take on the project myself so I reached out to a few places today to see if the cabinet or parts of it might have some value so that I could sell all or some of it. I didn't hear back from everyone but I am not thinking that the value of the cabinet or the parts of it are worth my personal time to mess with any of it much further.

So here's the deal. If there are one or more of you HOC amp building gurus out there who would like to build a vintage tone sounding amp or two from this unit, let me know and you can have some parts FREE so long as I don't have to spend any money to get the parts to you. (ie you pay shipping for whatever parts you want.) There are two circuits in there so I guess that should make two amps, and the cabinet and tolex might be able to be halved to make tow enclosures as well. Whatever doesn't get claimed (soon) will be relocated to the nearest recycling facility. I'm done with it.

Let the dibbs calling begin.

doh! I missed the part where you said you sold the organ :D

I bet there's some guys on the rhodes/etc keyboard forum who could use that, and keep it intact as what it is....want me to ask them?

otherwise you could donate it to a church, they have organs etc? in fact I got a leslie speaker cab for $10 from a church!! would be karma to give one back ;)

doh! I missed the part where you said you sold the organ :D

I bet there's some guys on the rhodes/etc keyboard forum who could use that, and keep it intact as what it is....want me to ask them?

otherwise you could donate it to a church, they have organs etc? in fact I got a leslie speaker cab for $10 from a church!! would be karma to give one back ;)

Whatever works. It needs to be gone before Friday the 13th.

A couple of the speakers look like some pretty nice, efficient low power alnico ring magnet alnicos, they will sound grreat. The lower thang with the big iron is a power supply, the chassis with more tubes is the power amp. Just find a way to connect the preamp of a Marshall into that sucka, you will get religion real quick. That is one heck of a slave cab as it sits if the amps and tubes are in good shape, if the caps are old not too spendy to fix up back to glory.

Archived