Heritage Owners Club

Fargen Blackbird anyone?

Heritage525

I had Fargen do his rebuild on my Deluxe Reverb. I'm not really the type to engage in tone quest-type superlatives, but, I was pleased with the result --the amp with the mod was definitely more touch responsive.

It was a bit of a special case, in that I picked up the DRRI amp as a second owner after it had been through a well-known local music store fire and fire sale. It had some crackles and hisses in it that, given my limited knowledge (I can change tubes), I couldn't diagnose as indicative of major problems or minor fixes. I had been impressed with the sound of a Fargen DRRI rebuild that I'd had a chance to play, so, I contacted him and asked if a rebuild would cover any problems likely caused by smoke/heat damage, and he agreed that it would. The rebuild indeed fixed all of these problems --and I got the amp cheaply enough to begin with, because of its history, that the entire project, including a new Weber speaker, cost me significantly less than a new "boutique" Deluxe.

Fargen, in our communication through the process (pretty limited --he does the mod to his specs, not yours), clearly knew what he was talking about, and everything was ontime and as discussed. (He returns all the replaced components, which I appreciate). Seemed a quality operation, and I think the amps he builds under his own name would be quality products.

I have a Mini Plex II. Only thing I don't like about it is the over built cabinet the head comes in. It weighs a ton and is built like a tank like you would take a 12 watt on tour. It takes a couple of 6v6 6L6 Kt66 EL34 or similar power tubes and you can mix and match. From 1/2 a watt to 12-18 will do a Marshall Plexi - 800 or Bluesbreaker 45. The power soak and master volume can saturate at beadroom levels. Build quality is top notch. Sound is top notch. It does everything I wanted. Three amps in one head and all the gain needed for classic rock. Makes a strat sound like a strat and a 150 sound like Eric's 59 on Beano. Very impressed plus I got 15% off list from a big box store and it came in two weeks early.

The Fargen Blackbirds ate all my corn!

Nah; that was the Fargen Bastages. The Fargen blackbirds ate all your Fargen Iceholes!

I looked into Fargen amps some time ago. The only thing that stopped possession was the inability to try before buying. They seem to be well built and hold their value as well as any boutique amp. If you like the way it sounds, buy it! Then bring it out to PSP so we can all sign on her dance card.

If it's new, can understand the $$ reluctance. But frankly, given the credibility/quality of happy owner description previously stated. a used one won't drop much if at all in resale, depends on owner/operator behavior. Boutique responds better to the tweak...easy to fix and mod.

Nah; that was the Fargen Bastages. The Fargen blackbirds ate all your Fargen Iceholes!

I looked into Fargen amps some time ago. The only thing that stopped possession was the inability to try before buying. They seem to be well built and hold their value as well as any boutique amp. If you like the way it sounds, buy it! Then bring it out to PSP so we can all sign on her dance card.

I need to watch that movie again.

Archived