Heritage Owners Club

henriksen jazzamp?

jazzam

Anyone out there use a Henriksen jazzamp 10?

Just curious as to your thoughts....

The Henriksen is a well respected amp in jazz circles. There are a couple users on here and I'm sure they will speak up. I'd love to play through one as I have really liked the tones I've heard people get from them. There's also the Mambo amp that's getting a lot of love.

I have an older Henriksen head tethered to a 12" Eminence, which is the same speaker the combo Henriksen 112 uses. I also have that head driving a 12" Celestion.

This older model has a couple of differences. First, there's no reverb. Second, it is designed to shut down like a tube amp. The volume persists for a few seconds after killing the power then rapidly tapers. It's a gimmick.

I also have a Henriksen 112ER, which is a combo amp with the same 12" speaker plus a tweeter that can be toggle off and on. Plus it has luscious reverb.

I'll give you my opinions but will state up front that some people I highly respect disagree with me.

I have a bias toward solid state amps, not because they sound better but because they don't sound worse. I wasn't born feeling that way. It evolved over many years using tubes and transistors.

Solid state amps don't require any maintenance generally. Their tone doesn't change as they age, at least not noticeably. They are lighter. They are less likely to hiss.

Of course some solid state amps are crap. Henriksens are among the top of the heap. Jazzkat, Polytone, and Evans are its peers. (I'm sure I forgot some.)

I use my Henriksens and an Evans, and I'm happy with them. It takes a while to dial in the tones for each and every guitar. But once you get used to using the equalizer (or the six tone controls on the Evans), it's easy and natural.

Someone I know put this amp question another way when I asked her about one. She said it's no worse than any of the rest.

I've got a 110R. It sits in my computer room as my practice amp but I've gigged with my 575 and

an Eastman as well as a nylon string Godin. Sounds just as good with my Tele and 335.

One of the better purchases I've made. Only regret is not buying a 12" as I understand

they work a little better for bass and I'd love to use it for that too.

Archived