Heritage Owners Club

I just bought a hand wired amp

PunkKitty

I decided to sell 3 Chinese amps that I have. I ordered a hand wired Princeton Reverb from Frugal Amps. This means that I won't be buying a 535 any time soon. I'll be selling my 2 Kustoms and my Marshall.

Rather than acquire new guitars, I'm sticking with the 3 Heritages that I have. I have a 335 sized Ibanez Artcore that I can use for a backup. As for the amp, I decided that I wanted one good hand built amp as my main amp. I also have a 5f1 that Kbp810 built for me, another 5 watt amp built from a kit, and a Mahaffay HiLo Plexi that I play through a 1x12 cabinet. My amp needs are covered.

It's all part of a gear consolidation process that I'm going through.

Here's the amp that I'm getting. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=411733002252178&set=a.411732982252180.1073741827.237868412971972&type=1&theater

Nice. It looks like an original Fender cabinet with a new chassis. Good move to a hand wired amp. They are easy to service and can be "fine tuned" if you are a strict single coil or humbucker player. The last picture shows some good old stock tubes, specifically a nice set of JAN Sylvania 6V6GT's/VT107's..

I don't think you'll ever regret sacrificing quantities of gear for better quality. This new one, the Mahaffay, and the KBP810 champ are definite keepers.

BTW, is the speaker a 10 or 12 inch?

Wow, PK, you're buying my absolute favorite amp: The Princeton, and way to go with getting a hand wired one! I was just playing on the other day in GC and am always struck with tone.

I get the impression that the guy I'm buying it from (Mark @ Frugal Amps) is primarily a hobbyist that sells the amps when he finishes building them. He has some really interesting models and he's done some nice mods. Frugal Amps seem to have a good rep on TGP. This is costing me less than a new Princeton '68 RI. My birthday is Thursday so this is a birthday gift to myself.

Do you think a Celestion Greenback would be a better speaker choice?

Maybe. It's supposed to come with a '72 Utah that is in great condition. I'd rather have a good vintage speaker. But if I need to change the speaker I'll look to Weber or WGS.

Congratulations PK.... I love hand wired amps. I'm a ham radio operator too and have built many transmitters, receivers and linear amps and other ham gadgets, so I really appreciate good hand wired gear.

Outstanding...it's a beaut ! Good Luck with it. You'll have lots of hours on that baby.

It is an original Fender cabinet. There is a cigarette burn or two in the tolex. The mojo is standard.

Mojo Good!! :icon_smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe. It's supposed to come with a '72 Utah that is in great condition. I'd rather have a good vintage speaker. But if I need to change the speaker I'll look to Weber or WGS.

If you haven't received the amp, and can change your mind on the speaker choice, then please do. Utah's were some of the worst sounding speakers Fender ever used.

It's the internet, so I can disagree. You might like the early 70's Utah played at volume and in context. I once bought a PRRI with a V10 (98 db) that was quickly swapped for an EV Force 10 (99 db). Much better for my uses around the house, but I kinda got lost when playing in a group. I put the V10 back in before I sold the amp and took it to one last jam - I wasn't proud of my efforts but for some reason I was heard.

According to the maker, this should fit a Princeton 1x12 cabinet. I picked up a used one with a good 12 inch Eminence speaker for $20. The speaker sounds awesome. If this amp will fit, I will install it in that cabinet. The vendor is interested in buying back the 1x10 cabinet.

According to the maker, this should fit a Princeton 1x12 cabinet. I picked up a used one with a good 12 inch Eminence speaker for $20. The speaker sounds awesome. If this amp will fit, I will install it in that cabinet. The vendor is interested in buying back the 1x10 cabinet.

I love the Patriot. $20 is a smoking deal. The only one I've liked better is the Texas Heat by Eminence. You did well.

Archived