Heritage Owners Club

building a 2-12 solid hardwood cabinet

hammerboogie

Dovetails are a bitch; 'till you get the router set. Then they are quite fun. They add a level of flair and detail - an extra level of attention added to your work. It appears they came out very nice. Congrats!

I built my own cabinet for 2 x 12s about 15 years ago. Turned out perfect and I still have it. Covered it with Tolex and collapsable handles on the sides. I got the dimensions from an accoustical engineer in the automotive industry. I used marine plywood as I was covering it, so this cab is heavy and sturdy. This baby has such a great sound. Back then, I had a radial arm saw, so it was fun to build. Today, the cabinet is one of my main cabs. I use it upright as my 3 bay 19" rack sits on it perfectly with my Mesa Express Plus on top of that. Nice looking combo.

At one time, I had the 19" rack, the Mesa, a Marshall and an Egnater all stacked. What an awesome sight that was. A giant monolith of sound.

You'll love that new cabinet. Making your own brings another dimension of pleasure to playing.

Nothing so satisfying as playing through something you built yourself :)

I built a cab from Quartersawn Oak for my tweed Deluxe a couple of years ago. It's murder to route, isn't it? :)

a562b42f.jpg

Love it, or them.

Geeze, so many of you are far better at woodworking, tech, and amp building than I am at guitar.

I think we would like a "show us your cab making" thread sometime...or would this be one?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys, it took 4 hrs of messing around to get the jig set just perfect, ive been working on it every night, so as it is now, i routed the dovetails off rounded, then a smaller route of the front and back edges, using 3/4 birch ply on the back fully closed and i got some gold speaker fabric from the a church organ builder so are you ready? here it is with 3 coats of tung oil so far i

how do you add a pic?

Nothing so satisfying as playing through something you built yourself :)

I built a cab from Quartersawn Oak for my tweed Deluxe a couple of years ago. It's murder to route, isn't it? :)

a562b42f.jpg

wow thats sharp looking hows she sound? and i cant even imagine what mine will weigh!

i want a mesa 2-12 horizontal cab, so im building my own, but with a artistic flair, 4 woods, quarter sawn oak, brazilian mahogany,walnut and cherry, alt on the sides and learned how to dovetail today!

That's really nice!

I love things like that, I'm going to be building a 2X12 pretty soon as well, but mine will be utilitarian, It's going to get beat up. :icon_scratch:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived