Heritage Owners Club

Delta Blues died-help!

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I plugged my 137 into my Delta Blues 210 tonite, and I had wonderous bluesy tones, for perhaps 15 seconds. Then, it was as if somebody unplugged the amp. The sound garbled and faded out into oblivion and that was it. Turned the amp off, waited a minute, powered it back on, NOTHING!

So did I blow a tube? A rectifier? Where should I start? Is there any simple tests I can perform before hauling it off to the amp repair shop?

Had this thing for 2.5 years with zero problems.

Does the light still come on?

If no, then probably just a fuse; if yes, my first suspect would probably be a preamp tube - take a peek and see if all the tube filaments are lighting up. You can try swapping a few around if you have some to borrow from another known working amp

Guest HRB853370

Does the light still come on?

If no, then probably just a fuse; if yes, my first suspect would probably be a preamp tube - take a peek and see if all the tube filaments are lighting up. You can try swapping a few around if you have some to borrow from another known working amp

The pilot lamp is on, yes.

IMO take it to a repair guy

I'm no expert, but if the fuse blew, it blew for a reason...could be a tube died, but it's probably a good idea to get the bias checked anyway, if you are replacing a tube?

preamp tubes usually last for years

AXE-FX/ End of Story...

While the Axe FX is certainly cool, I fail to see how this helps Slammer repair his Delta Blues... unless you are saying that on top of amp/speaker simulations the Axe FX can also repair tube amps; in which case, I would provide a stern warning that this is probably the sort of thing that creates skynets, terminators, and the matrix as well. So at this time, for the benefit of humankind, I think I would advise maybe trying to replace the $0.50 fuse on the delta first.

IMO take it to a repair guy

I'm no expert, but if the fuse blew, it blew for a reason...could be a tube died, but it's probably a good idea to get the bias checked anyway, if you are replacing a tube?

preamp tubes usually last for years

It is certainly plausible that it may have failed due to a mechanical failure as opposed to a high current draw condition after years of being subjected to speaker vibrations; but in either case, unless you feel 100% comfortable in opening up the chassis to take a peek and/or replace (and know how to do so safely... i.e. discharge the caps and check for any remaining residual charge), the above is good advice. Might as well just take it to a tech and let it get a full "check up" while its there.

While the Axe FX is certainly cool, I fail to see how this helps Slammer repair his Delta Blues... unless you are saying that on top of amp/speaker simulations the Axe FX can also repair tube amps; in which case, I would provide a stern warning that this is probably the sort of thing that creates skynets, terminators, and the matrix as well. So at this time, for the benefit of humankind, I think I would advise maybe trying to replace the $0.50 fuse on the delta first.

It is certainly plausible that it may have failed due to a mechanical failure as opposed to a high current draw condition after years of being subjected to speaker vibrations; but in either case, unless you feel 100% comfortable in opening up the chassis to take a peek and/or replace (and know how to do so safely... i.e. discharge the caps and check for any remaining residual charge), the above is good advice. Might as well just take it to a tech and let it get a full "check up" while its there.

LOL.............Skynets, terminators and the matrix :laughing4:

Guest HRB853370

I talked to a tech here in Greenville who is highly regarded. He said it is not the fuse because my indicator lamp is lit. He thinks it is the heater rail something or other (whatever the hell that is). He will install an upgraded one in place of the stock one if that is what it is. He said all the innards in these amps are Chinese crap and it just does not last.

I talked to a tech here in Greenville who is highly regarded. He said it is not the fuse because my indicator lamp is lit. He thinks it is the heater rail something or other (whatever the hell that is). He will install an upgraded one in place of the stock one if that is what it is. He said all the innards in these amps are Chinese crap and it just does not last.

He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. A friend had this happen to his Classic 30 and it was the heater lines. Many of these cheaper tube builds have "ribbon wiring" which is not a good thing. Chinese crap is the kind way of saying it.

of course it will not help- it was a joke, an attempt at levity...and as i understand your comments, they are good for a laugh as well...

So, even though it says Made in USA on my Classic 30, the components are made in China? Bummer.. :icon_pale:

Archived