Heritage Owners Club

Delta Blues died-again!

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

Took the amp to my amp tech (an authorized Peavey service guy) on Tuesday, got it back today. Appreciated the quick turnaround, paid the $60 he charged, got it home, plugged it in, and in less than 5 minutes of playing it, it died exactly the same as the first time. No tubes lit, but pilot lamp is lit. When he had it the first time, he said the fuse was fine, but he got it to come back on by resecuring the tube sockets and then he said he re soldered down the line because on a Peavey Delta Blues, the tubes are chained together like a string of christmas tree lights-one goes, they all go. I guess I will have to take it back tomorrow. He gave me a one year warranty on his work (not counting tube failure). I just hate the inconvenience!

Guest HRB853370

I took the tube cage off, powered it up, pushed on each tube to see if that would cause any to light up, nothing. That was his recommendation before bringing it back in. What was so weird was he had the amp on all night last night, then plugged a guitar in this morning, and it was fine. It was playing fine when I picked it up. I get it home, power it up, plug in a guitar, and after less than 5 minutes its gone again. Just plain freakin weird.

I took the tube cage off, powered it up, pushed on each tube to see if that would cause any to light up, nothing. That was his recommendation before bringing it back in. What was so weird was he had the amp on all night last night, then plugged a guitar in this morning, and it was fine. It was playing fine when I picked it up. I get it home, power it up, plug in a guitar, and after less than 5 minutes its gone again. Just plain freakin weird.

Irregular voltages at your residence? Surges, fluctuations or maybe above 110 volts?

Guest HRB853370

With that pesky warning label on the back about "no user serviceable parts" I think I'd just wait for the tech.

I didn't see such label, but I am not opening up the chassis.

There is no visible ribbon cable.

Most solid state amps with pc boards have them. It's common enough that the wires inside come loose or break. That, or connections to sockets, or other components break. There's a lot of heat generated inside an amp that cause parts expand and contract. Over time, they sometimes fail.

Guest HRB853370

Most solid state amps with pc boards have them. It's common enough that the wires inside come loose or break. That, or connections to sockets, or other components break. There's a lot of heat generated inside an amp that cause parts expand and contract. Over time, they sometimes fail.

Exactly Blunote, there are 3 pc boards inside there and lots of jumpers, etc. Its a crapshoot and ANYTHING can go wrong. The good part is he wont charge me anymore but he may have it a while, which is ok, as long as it come back fixed!

My Delta Blues used to get so hot it scared me. I finally rigged up a cooling fan and I would run the fan between sets. I did have the amp serviced once before I rigged the fan, but never after that. Probably went overboard with the size of the fan, it keeps the amp too cool to let it run continually. My Classic 50 has an internal fan and never gets hot. Since they both use the same tube configuration, they probably generate the same amount of heat. Mabee that's a design oversight.

Guest HRB853370

You mean the Delta Blues is the only amp you have? I thought you had some other fun toys to use?

Yes DB I do. I have been playing my Gibson GA40RVT more now, its a Class A hand wired amp and it just sounds incredible. Its heavy though, heavier than even the Delta. I also have my Deluxe Reverb RI.

Yes DB I do. I have been playing my Gibson GA40RVT more now, its a Class A hand wired amp and it just sounds incredible. Its heavy though, heavier than even the Delta. I also have my Deluxe Reverb RI.

Then you've got nothin to worry about. Besides, you can find those amps used for $300. I think you're getting close to that. I'd consider buying it broken and turned into a Bassman Combo...

Guest HRB853370

UPDATE! Amp tech called me this morning, he diagnosed it as the power transformer shot. He said he thinks there is a 5 yr warranty and should be able to get one for free since he is an authorized Peavey repair center!

UPDATE! Amp tech called me this morning, he diagnosed it as the power transformer shot. He said he thinks there is a 5 yr warranty and should be able to get one for free since he is an authorized Peavey repair center!

Well, that's cool and it sucks too. Sucks that it happened.. but cool it is covered! Hey, if it is gonna fry, please let it fry under warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived