Heritage Owners Club

War Horse

bolero

I never bothered giving names to any gtrs, but I think this one deserves it...I dub thee: War Horse

it certainly has the battle scars!!

I made a beeline road trip thru Michigan & back on Saturday, to visit Brent & pickup the gtr ( thanks again dude, I love it!! and had a great time checking out your killer gtrs!! ) and then on the way back stopped to see Steiner & Nancy...had a blast cranking up some of his amps in the back yard!! thx again, it broke up the driving & I had a lot of fun hanging out

here is it beside the MelodyBird....and check out the cool guitar neckrest Steiner made!! cherry, purpleheart, and a bunch of other wood I cannot remember ;)

birds.jpg

open heart surgery, prepping for pickup swap:

warhorse.jpg

closeup, you can see all the wear thru the finish

close.jpg

luckily I didn't hit any deer, but I saw 4 of them on the side of the road...and two seperate car accidents. said my Hail Mary's :)

ps that Fender Roads makes a good workstand for gtrs

Well the pup swap turned into me pulling apart 3 guitars

I was originally going to put those Js Moore paf humbuckers in, but then thought the old grungy wolfetone legends i had in the 150 would suit it better

So the 150 came apart & got the moores

Legends into the 357

But then the chrome hw on the 357 looked out of place so I swapped it with another

I'd refinish that thing in gold and pinstripe it! That guitar screams hot rod to me:)

Yep Sure Does!!

War horse; is that anything like a war bride?

That guitar has some serious magic associated with it. At least that's my perspective, based on the music Bolero was firing out of the amp. It's such a cool looking ax. Beat to within an inch of its life, you can tell it has been a #1 guitar ever since it was built. The War Horse (if she could talk) would have some steamy stories to tell. Happy NGD Bolero! To echo Jack Baruth, Nice Snatch!

Hmmmmm. I can't see any of the pictures. URL is Roofleaks.comoj.com. Is that right?

ah, that's what I get for free hosting...sometimes the URL goes down. if you refresh the page they should show up?

"I'd refinish that thing in gold and pinstripe it! That guitar screams hot rod to me:) "

I thought of refinishing it, but I kind of like keeping the swashbuckling tales of adventure plain, for all to see....I think I'll leave it be!!

yes, there are some interesting differences between the older & newer 357's

older has a more medium C neck typical of the early '90's Heritages I have played. it appears to be all mahogany

newer one has a beefy '59 style neck. and it's korina with maple strips

the melodybird has a very different feel due to the vintage style ( ie: heavy ) tuners, but the neck is beefy like the new 357's. I like how the bridge pup is about 1/2" further away from the bridge, it mellows out the BRIGHT a bit. Someone else here has a millie spec'd similar, I have seen pics of it

did some measuring...my new ( korina) 357 has about 1/4" thicker body than this old one

the center block is 1/4" narrower on the old one. and at the narrowest point across the body, the older one is 1/4" narrower

the older one has two 1/4" strips at the outer edges of the center block ( presumably to save wood...they are outside the widest part of the headstock....why waste a huge wide board of mahogany for the full length of the neck, that is only going to get cut away? ) and solid wings. it appears to be 100% mahogany.

the old one has a barely noticeable center seam down the length of the neck/body. I wonder if they cut the blank & reversed it, similar to how G&L did their necks, for stability?

IMO the 357 design perfects the firebird concept....the thicker body & lighter headstock addresses the weight distribution/headstock dive...and furthermore the headstock design allows the use of regular tuners. and those smaller, lighter tuners

the old & new 357 both balance perfectly hanging on a strap

Archived