Heritage Owners Club

Possible trade-opinion needed!

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

I dropped into my local GC today, and there was a "new looking" Fender Twin Reverb amp, priced at $899 inc cover. I was thinking of seeing what kind of trade deal I could work out with my Delta Blues 210 towards it. The Delta Blues amps seem to average around $400 on Ebay. If I can net this Twin for $450 (with a little haggling) I think I could come out ok.

I like the TR because it stays cleaner at higher volumes. If I want to overdrive it, I have pedals for that. The PV starts sounding dirty at around 4 on the volume knob and seems to lack low end, probably because mine is not a 115.

I'd expect the guitar store staff to be clued up enough to use the same resources as you have when assessing the resale value of an item they take in a trade. They will then factor in their required profit margin on both sides: the amp they're selling and the one they'll try to sell afterwards.

If they're anything like my local guitar stores, you'll be lucky to make $250-300 for your amp.

I must be confused... Peavey=Fantastic because they are Made in the USA. Never mind that it took a crap on you....twice?! Fender Twin Reverb Reissue, probably Made in Mexico.... Mexico=NOT Made in USA, therefore no good, of course..... I messing with you, of course, but a Twin is a beast, as Rob says. The only advice I'll give is don't try to trade it in to GC. You'll get raped.

Guest HRB853370

I must be confused... Peavey=Fantastic because they are Made in the USA. Never mind that it took a crap on you....twice?! Fender Twin Reverb Reissue, probably Made in Mexico.... Mexico=NOT Made in USA, therefore no good, of course..... I messing with you, of course, but a Twin is a beast, as Rob says. The only advice I'll give is don't try to trade it in to GC. You'll get raped.

Not necessarily Brian. GC will deal if you hold your cards. Second, my PV only crapped once, not twice. The tech could not detect the faulty transformer the first time. So only one crap. Third, the TR is made in Corona. I think it is a 2007. I like the BEAST! And the weight is not much more than the Delta.

Guest HRB853370

Why not keep the PV and install more efficient speakers that don't break up as soon?

You think it is a speaker issue? I think it is more of an amp issue. I have not problem with the Blue Marvels!

Guest HRB853370

You'll get about $150 for the Peavey...$200 of you're lucky

Ha! You don't know the used gear trade in business obviously. When trading gear on other gear, you get a bigger trade in value. If I don't get at least $350, well I am out of there.

You think it is a speaker issue? I think it is more of an amp issue. I have not problem with the Blue Marvels!

If I'm reading the right spec sheet, then the blue marvel 1020 has a 96 db sensitivity. You want more headroom? The eminence red fang should accomplish the task at 102 db and $180 per. You could put the old ones back in if you're still not satisfied and want to sell the amp.

Guest HRB853370

If I'm reading the right spec sheet, then the blue marvel 1020 has a 96 db sensitivity. You want more headroom? The eminence red fang should accomplish the task at 102 db and $180 per. You could put the old ones back in if you're still not satisfied and want to sell the amp.

That is interesting! I didnt realize speaker swapouts could change the entire characteristics of an amp

Ha! You don't know the used gear trade in business obviously. When trading gear on other gear, you get a bigger trade in value. If I don't get at least $350, well I am out of there.

I buy/sell/trade at GC frequently, so obviously you don't know... They'll give you 50% of what they'll sell it for. Remember I bought a used 1x15" Delta Blues for $299?. Look on their used gear section. They'll buy your amp for 50% of the lowest priced one on their website. I do my research before I ever walk into their store.

Yep, I know what I'm talking about.... If your lucky, you may get a 10% trade in/Trade up off that Twin....

I'll be waiting for your results and most likely, "You're right DB!"

Guest HRB853370

I buy/sell/trade at GC frequently, so obviously you don't know... They'll give you 50% of what they'll sell it for. Remember I bought a used 1x15" Delta Blues for $299?. Look on their used gear section. They'll buy your amp for 50% of the lowest priced one on their website. I do my research before I ever walk into their store.

Yep, I know what I'm talking about.... If your lucky, you may get a 10% trade in/Trade up off that Twin....

I'll be waiting for your results and most likely, "You're right DB!"

Why don't you buy it then? I will give you a lower price than GC...

The policy in our local GC on used gear trade-ins is 1/2 of what they think they can sell it for. That's right from the manager's mouth. I've taken gear to him, just to be told to try selling it first, since he couldn't give me anywhere near it's real worth. I took an older bass amp in for trade and got exactly what I was going to sell it for. That one caught me by surprise! If they've had a good day, and they know you, you might get a decent trade.

I'd love to have a Twin Reverb again. But no way I'd haul that puppy around. Not anymore. I won't even take my Mesa Lonestar out anymore. Can't handle the poundage. Even my AC30CC1 1x12 has hit the ceiling. Head and cab for me. Not that it has anything to do with Will's trade question. :) Just chiming in on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Why not keep the PV and install more efficient speakers that don't break up as soon?

I'd go this route. I like a twin reverb, but the new ones are pcb unless they are from the custom shop, I"m guessing this one is not.

If anything goes wrong with them it's costly and usually requires shipping to Fender I believe.

PCB Twin not the choice for that Fender circuit, wait, save yer $$ for something else, like Sligo, Marsh, Allen. These are all affordable, handwired, reliable AND repairable, made in USA amps that will fill the bill. Their tones have a great reputation. They do Fender circuits uncommonly well and have done so for a long time. Getting into just one more decimal place on the price tag hurts much less five years later... still happy with what you got because it was excellent sounding and reliable from the start. Have done that several times over. May not be for everyone, but wow, nice to have a stable of classy hookers to choose from now instead of one sorta reliable. Yep, I do live in the land of fundamentalist polygamy, and I only had to pay once for each of 'em. The ones I picked are not any cheaper now than when I got them, either. And they love to be accessorized with unusual, vintage glass jewelry and speakers that also don't drop in value. And man, alone any one of 'em are great, you oughta see what they do when they two or threesome on my Heritage…

guitars.

Doesn't apply if you swap out equipment like changing the sheets on your bed. Churning does train the ear for what different equipment sounds like, though, not all bad. Happens a lot when habitually shopping at low, self limiting price points.

Boutique amps for boutique guitars,

Boutique guitars for boutique amps.

Archived