Heritage Owners Club

Need help with amp choice.

mps504

I know this has been likely discussed before, but I haven't seen any recent posts here, and you all have been so helpful.

I am getting back into playing after years of not....have no idea now why I stopped...kids, life...BUT I am enjoying it. I found a 535 and it will arrive soon.

Now, I need an amp. I am focusing mostly on jazz, but also want to play the blues and rock now and then. I play for myself, but will occasionally play with friends, but I don't need to blow the doors off.

I need help with regard to possible choices to give a try when I walk into the local guitar shop and plug in. Yes, maybe personal preference, but you all have years of experience, and more than 15 or 20 minutes with each amp at a store. I am into supporting local business, but if I find one, does it really matter if I order online?

I know there is the tube vs. no-tube question. Looking to not break the bank here...maybe around a 1000.00 or less is better, but I don't want to quibble over a couple hundred if the difference in amp is that big.

Also thoughts on okko diablo and boss rc2 looper versus ?????

I am really looking for an amp that does it all I guess....but like guitars, I am thinking that doesn't exist.

Help!

1959 Gibson Lg2

You may want to decide a few things beforehand; like do you want overdrive built into the amp or are you going to use pedals? Or do you just want clean? And you probably will have to come to some peaceful resolution regarding tube or not to tube. Your budget is plenty of money to do what ever you want if you shop. I have a 535 on the way and I'm dying to see how it sounds in my Deluxe Reverb. But I also have a Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber with OD capability and an Evans AE 200 which is a great jazz amp. And I'm toying with acquiring a forth of some ilk. Happy hunting!

Don't forget to check out the Fender Mustang III amp. I have a pretty good stable of fender tube amps and I am amazed at the versatility. Make sure you get the newer V2 version (which is what they sell new). It will set you back about $300 dollars. 100 watts with awesome built in effects. Works at Bedroom levels and I keep up with my other guitarists Marshall during rehearsal.

It comes with a 5 year warranty from fender (pretty good warranty service I might add). If you want to spend more, the deluxe reverb mentioned is a great choice.

I too am a tube snob but as far as bang for the buck goes, The Mustang III is hard to beat

Reading a little into your tastes and desires, I'd say look for an amp with a great clean sound. Blackface/silverface Fenders (and the reissues) will usually get you there. Afterwards, you can choose what flavour of overdrive you like best by trying out pedals.

Look out for Gregor Hilden on YouTube, he demos a lot of Heritage guitars through old Fenders using an OKKO Diablo amongst other pedals. Here's an example:

I have a friend who is a professional musician and he raves about the Fender Blues Jr III. It does have good reviews on Amazon and is around $500. A good versatile tube amp! I don't have one yet but it's the one I will be buying when I get back to the UK in a couple of years.

I would get an old silverface vibrolux

built like a tank, all-tube, gorgeous sounding, just the right size.....and if you need distortion get some sort of pedal like an OCD

Vibrolux73.jpg

This + 100000000000

You are describing is exactly a Fender Super Sonic 22. It's built to be identical to a DRRI but also has a separate channel with two different gain knobs. One is pure distortion and the other is a compressor. Between the two you can get almost any blues or rock tone you want.

The other channel is pretty much exactly a DRRI though it also has a fat switch that gives you a bit more oomph. But it is really clean and perfect for jazz.

I had a DRRI for years and loved it. When I bought the Super Sonic I compared them side by side and there was no difference in the tone when I used the first channel on the SS.

By the way, I play a 535 almost exclusively.

Princeton Reverb reissue? There's a couple for sale on the The Gear Page that are at good price points. Then add pedals as needed. A used Victoria Regal to throw something else out there...

+1 I love mine.. and it takes pedals very well!!

Hi guys new to Heritage guitars but been around guitars for 35 years. I like the Peavey Classic series of amp in 30 watts. Nice cleans and breaks up nice too. 30 watts is plenty of power. Just my two cents.

Thanks for all the input. My 535 arrives this Friday so I hope to head down to some local shops and plug in.

My one question regarding the older silverface deluxe or vibrolux built in the 60s or 70s is the question of the speakers. For example, I had a great set of high end stereo speakers that I bought mid-70s and kept for many years....that is, until the actual speakers disintegrated. My thought is that the same process would occur for these older, but coveted amps?

Thoughts?

Are the newer reissues essentially the same thing?

The newer reissues don't always match up sonically. The only one I have experience with in this respect is the Custom Vibrolux Reverb. I've played blackface VRs, silverface VRs and my own self-built VR. The CVR reissue just doesn't have 'it'.

If you can find an all original blackface amp, you'll probably have to budget for a recap as well as speakers! Speakers do deteriorate and the general advice is to remove and store them (so you can return the amp to original state for resale) and fit modern equivalents.

My one question regarding the older silverface deluxe or vibrolux built in the 60s or 70s is the question of the speakers. For example, I had a great set of high end stereo speakers that I bought mid-70s and kept for many years....that is, until the actual speakers disintegrated. My thought is that the same process would occur for these older, but coveted amps?

Thoughts?

Most times, its the surround of the stereo speakers that degrade and break up. The surrounds of most guitar amps will be sturdier than the ones on stereo speakers. I've got a Guild Thunderbird amp with original C12N speakers from the late 60s. They're fine. My 1953 National Supreme has the original Rola field coil speaker in it and is still in good shape 60 years later.

On the other hand, the midranges of my IMF 50s from 1980 fell apart years ago. You can get replacement surrounds, but I don't know if they will be exactly the same spec as the originals.

I've never gone the Fender route, but I have a Peavey Classic 30. Nice amp, and pretty versatile, especially if you want to change styles around. Its not going to match a Mesa or Two Rock or Red Plate, but you can get them for around $3-400 all the time. Then you can play that while you look around for that :"something special".

Good luck with your quest!

Then you can play that while you look around for that :"something special".

Good luck with your quest!

I do hate to pile on in these highly subjective discussions....but I also hate to see someone spend money needlessly. My humble opinion based on your tastes and your place on your journey is that you can get a very versatile little amp. Robust, with lots of options, STELLAR for jazz tones, with a tuner, a looper, drive tones, quiet for the bedroom and practice, loud for goofing with pals, and cheap. A single little grab n go with a single grounded plug. This will get you going NOW, while you reacquaint yourself with your craft and the "state of the art" as far as gear goes. Later, you can spend the time and money on a full rig, and always have this little box there for the impromptu porch jam, or trip away from home.

Roland Cube 40XL

Done.

Lots of good advice here.

IMO, I don't think you could go wrong with a Fender Princeton, DR, or Vox AC15. They're classic, versatile, and serviceable. If your feeling a little more adventurous, think about a hand-wired clone or pick up an older Silverface Fender. Personally, I prefer point to point hand wired amps. They have that extra vintage chime and are based on well known circuits that are infinitely serviceable (no circuit boards to fry).

Good luck and have fun on your quest. It never ends.

First of all, the OkkO Diablo is a great box. Another is the Mojo Hand FX Iron Bell. This box is amazing and you might be able to do it all with that box.

For an amp? My choice for all types of music is the Mesa Express Plus 5:25. Great amp with four channels and different EQ settings on each pair. From crystal clear, to muddy blues and anything that is dirty as can be. This amp is the best and my favorite. I have four amps and I play this one 99.9% for the time. The controls are so varied and adjustable to any sound you want.

Recommendation: Go to a store with your guitar (not theirs) and play this one and others. See what pleases you. Then you won't make a mistake. This is what I did and I love the Mesa Express Plus.

BTW..... Tubes.... I don't recommend sold state stuff. Only tubes.

One final question as the weekend approaches. I went to pick up my 535 from UPS tonight and they have LOST the damn thing!! How frustrating. Maybe tomorrow they will find it.

I have seen reviews of some of Fenders and one criticism is that they are noisy when when just sitting idle?

Thanks for all your great input. I have my list and will be doing a bit store hopping this weekend.

cheers

I have seen reviews of some of Fenders and one criticism is that they are noisy when when just sitting idle?

I've got two self-built Fender tube amp replicas. Both make a low hiss/hum noise when turned up ready for action. I can't remember having an amp of any brand - and I've had quite a few over the years - that didn't.

• 2 weeks later...
Another is the Mojo Hand FX Iron Bell. This box is amazing and you might be able to do it all with that box.

BTW..... Tubes.... I don't recommend sold state stuff. Only tubes.

+10000 I love my Mojo Hand Iron Bell. My favorite pedal on my board, period.

I have one of the Gries 35 Handwired amps that I run at 22 watts, basically a Blackface Deluxe Reverb. My 535 just sounds amazing playing through this amp! It just has a growl you can't get without tubes. Hard to really describe. They (Gries Amps) will set you back about the cost of a 535 though. I would never sell it, tone machine!

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread. Bought DRRI, and brought it home. Wasn't too happy with the sound...harsh, twangy, and the standby switch was faulty. I went back to the store and compared it to a 57 bandmaster (1-4 volume before the crunch hits) and the difference was astounding. Warm, creamy, with a better interaction with fretting for different tones. That was the "sound" I was looking for. However, this amp really is for neil young etc. However, anyone use these for jazz?

I have started to look at boutique builds of the fender blackface and silverface, but it is 'really' hard to get a good listen. I mentioned Vintage Sound Amplifiers earlier and have not gotten to play one yet. Any other custom shops that one would recommend?

Archived