Heritage Owners Club

prs amplification

gpuma

The other night I was at Chicaco music exchange for a seminary given by none the less than Paul Reed Smith in person. Crazy guy and interesting as you would imagine.

I thought that at the end of the event I was going to leave with an incurable case of PRS GAS, but that was not the case. Hoestly I think this did not happen not because the guitars there were not spectacular. They were. But what really intrigued me was tha amp he was playing. It sounded really awesome (and it was really pricey too).

PrS amps are not so common, though. Anyone has any experience with them?

Played thru a sweet 16 at a shop and liked it a lot. Went back and played thru a 2nd time even. It just LOVED teles. Okay with a 150. Man with a tele, tho, that amp was aptly named.

It was used and a good price. Wished I'd bought it.

I've heard some less than favorable reviews about their first generation amps but I'm under the impression that they are better now.

But for me, there are a lot of other brands I would buy before forking over a huge bundle of cash for a PRS amp.

The reason I own PRS guitars doesn't translate into a desire to own PRS amps.

I've heard some less than favorable reviews about their first generation amps but I'm under the impression that they are better now.

But for me, there are a lot of other brands I would buy before forking over a huge bundle of cash for a PRS amp.

The reason I own PRS guitars doesn't translate into a desire to own PRS amps.

Everything, exactly as quoted above, has been my experience & opinion. I played through a couple early PRS amps and nothing really caught my attention.

I had the chance to meet Davy Knowles. Just amazing up and coming artist. He's a big time PRS Endorsee (Endorser? how's that go? --- Rob?). Paul even gave him one of his early Custom 24s. I got to play that guitar. It's an amazing guitar. Davy endorses PRS Amps, as well. His comments were that other than being a tad bit mid-rangy, he really liked how well they've come along. Could be the earlier models just needed some tweaking. That said, I'm very confident I could find a great amp, capable of producing the same tones, with the same build quality, for a great deal less than those go for.

I really liked the used PRS "Dallas" amp I tried out at GC a while back but the price kept me away. The 2 channel H is really good too. I did end up getting a good price on the SE version of the ""H". It has the same circuit but on a PCB instead of hand wired. That gets it in a range a normal person can afford. I got the SE 50 combo. It's a Plexi type sound with the EL34's. I'm not selling my Mesa Lone Star or Fender but it does a great Plexi.

http://prsguitars.com/se50/

I really liked the used PRS "Dallas" amp I tried out at GC a while back but the price kept me away. The 2 channel H is really good too. I did end up getting a good price on the SE version of the ""H". It has the same circuit but on a PCB instead of hand wired. That gets it in a range a normal person can afford. I got the SE 50 combo. It's a Plexi type sound with the EL34's. I'm not selling my Mesa Lone Star or Fender but it does a great Plexi.

http://prsguitars.com/se50/

Hmmm, that was a cool tone demo at that link. I wonder if I could afford them on the used market. I also wonder if they are easy to make bias adjustments should I need to do so. I'll need to look into this and the "H" a little more.

Archived