Heritage Owners Club

mesa ta-15

gpuma

I've played all of the incarnations of TA and most of the Express series.

The TA series is a pretty cool take on the Tweed and AC sounds. I rather liked it. The 15 breaks up earlier from what I experienced. But I didn't push them to much since I like clean.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I think Kenny (Tulk1) uses one. He'll give you the straight goods.

Yep. Sure do.

I use the TA-15 with a Mesa 112 Wide Body cab, nearly every weekend. What do you want to know? As Barry points out it's Mesa's take on the Vox sound. Plus a "tweed" sound. Plus a Hi-Gain and an ultra Hi-gain. I have never used those last two. I play my guitar and fiddle on the AC side, using the 15w (sometimes 25) Top Boost. Gives me all the chime and yummies of the Vox AC15 - 30. I use the Tweedy side for the banjo and mandolin, since it's a bit cleaner, more mid-rangy.

The Vox side can be clean or gritty. Like all Mesa's the Treb/Bass are very interactive and very sensitive. You have to tweak it. I have mine marked so I can reset the same as a starting point for each gig. I've had ZERO issues with it. Still even using the stock MESA/JJ tubes. It's a great size, doesn't weigh a ton. And is kinda cute sitting like a lunchbox up on top of that big 'ol cab. Lots of very musical tones and overtones. Never had an issue with it not being enough amp. All around, I'm very pleased with it.

The TA series is a pretty cool take on the Tweed and AC sounds. I rather liked it. The 15 breaks up earlier from what I experienced. But I didn't push them to much since I like clean.

how would you describe the differences between the TA-15 and the 5:25 Express?

Yep. Sure do.

I use the TA-15 with a Mesa 112 Wide Body cab, nearly every weekend. What do you want to know? As Barry points out it's Mesa's take on the Vox sound. Plus a "tweed" sound. Plus a Hi-Gain and an ultra Hi-gain. I have never used those last two. I play my guitar and fiddle on the AC side, using the 15w (sometimes 25) Top Boost. Gives me all the chime and yummies of the Vox AC15 - 30. I use the Tweedy side for the banjo and mandolin, since it's a bit cleaner, more mid-rangy.

The Vox side can be clean or gritty. Like all Mesa's the Treb/Bass are very interactive and very sensitive. You have to tweak it. I have mine marked so I can reset the same as a starting point for each gig. I've had ZERO issues with it. Still even using the stock MESA/JJ tubes. It's a great size, doesn't weigh a ton. And is kinda cute sitting like a lunchbox up on top of that big 'ol cab. Lots of very musical tones and overtones. Never had an issue with it not being enough amp. All around, I'm very pleased with it.

Thank you Kenny. That's informative

how would you describe the differences between the TA-15 and the 5:25 Express?

Assuming you mean the Express and not the Plus model.

I'd say they are good for two flavors of the same thing. If you dig a more Blackface sound, the Express is a fun take on that. I have a 5:50. Is definitely a rock or blues guy's amp. Doable for other things but cine to find that I ultimately just want a good SS amp.

Archived