Heritage Owners Club

Fishman Loudbox

peterbright

I own one of the Loudbox Performer amps. Picked it up for an ensemble in which I needed several combinations of acoustic instruments: cello/violin, two acoustic guitars, etc. It works like a two channel PA --you adjust the input gain, then have masters, so, it is able to work well with incoming signals of greatly varying levels, which is really handy when some instruments have onboard preamps and some don't. Also has phantom power on the inputs, so you could use it, say, for a dynamic vocal mic and then a condenser mic on your guitar.

It also has some anti-feedback features (not active) like phase reversal, but, to be honest, I haven't worked with it enough in a feedback-prone situation to really have a strong feel for the best way to use it or how effective it is or isn't.

It has a lot of headroom, and the little drivers (it has an 8", a 5" and a tweeter) sound surprisingly strong and full, so I've also used it as a keyboard amp. (Again, walks all over the entry level Roland keyboard amps, which I really find useless for anything but personal monitoring.)

So, I've been pleased, Good bang for the buck and versatility --and, it is light. I think the Schertler (sp?) stuff is probably gold standard for sound (I haven't heard their latest amps, but use a pickup), but, the Fishman stuff works well and is affordable.

I own one of the Loudbox Performer amps. Picked it up for an ensemble in which I needed several combinations of acoustic instruments: cello/violin, two acoustic guitars, etc. It works like a two channel PA --you adjust the input gain, then have masters, so, it is able to work well with incoming signals of greatly varying levels, which is really handy when some instruments have onboard preamps and some don't. Also has phantom power on the inputs, so you could use it, say, for a dynamic vocal mic and then a condenser mic on your guitar.

It also has some anti-feedback features (not active) like phase reversal, but, to be honest, I haven't worked with it enough in a feedback-prone situation to really have a strong feel for the best way to use it or how effective it is or isn't.

It has a lot of headroom, and the little drivers (it has an 8", a 5" and a tweeter) sound surprisingly strong and full, so I've also used it as a keyboard amp. (Again, walks all over the entry level Roland keyboard amps, which I really find useless for anything but personal monitoring.)

So, I've been pleased, Good bang for the buck and versatility --and, it is light. I think the Schertler (sp?) stuff is probably gold standard for sound (I haven't heard their latest amps, but use a pickup), but, the Fishman stuff works well and is affordable.

I forgot I have a pic --part of my Beatles' ensemble gear spree....

003-11.jpg

I have played several louboxes, I ended up with the Fishman SA220 amp. It is amazing for a singer songwriter, and expandable if you want to play with others... I only play in my basement currently but the thing is loud, disperses sound amazingly, and is priced great for what it is. I would suggest trying one out. They are very portable and are tons of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option that you may want to consider is a powered speaker and a small mixing board. I just purchased an Allen and Heath Zed10FX and a QSL K10 speaker. You have more input and routing options. If you eventually need more sound, you can add another powered speaker. If you wanted to play anything other than acoustic instruments however, you may need to use some kind of modeling software to simulate an amp.

Is the SA200 similar to the Bose unit?

Yes, they have similiar tonality. I play a Bose L1s 4 days a week at my day gig, and I used to own a SA200 which for smaller crowds

was a pretty good rig and more flexible than the Bose with all of the in and outs. It also had a nice reverb in it. The Bose with one of

it's Bass cabs though has way more low end.

That said I would go with this... http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Item/sr-jam-150-plus-natural

or this... http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/Item/schertler-jam-400-natural I bought one of these a few months ago and it blows my mind how loud and good sounding it is!

Archived