Heritage Owners Club

Which amp for an acoustic flat top guitar

MartyGrass

I've got a Marshall AS50R -the older model with reverb tank. When I bought it I thought it sounded preferable to some other more expensive amps. I don't use it very much, so it could be for sale.

I've heard the Fishman Solo is highly regarded, as are AES amps.

The acoustic people I know use a lot of Fishmans....Loubox mnii, Loudbox Pro, Loudbox Artist, and the Solo (Like a Bose rig only smaller and with less low end)

in the circles I run in, when a DI to a PA isn't available, Fishman and AER are the most accessible/best quality, not cheap, but not insane either.

I've used the Fender acoustisonic 30's quite a bit, they're great, and I own and use a Marshall AS50D (2x8, 2 channel(one for vox) 'verb and chorus) extensively, and it's fine.

the pickup in the guitar is far and away the biggest variable here, and in my view amplified acoustics simply will only ever sound "meh"...relative to the natural sound, so why spend thousands when hundreds will do.

I've used an SWR Strawberry Blonde with great results with acoustic guitars, archtops and bass. They don't make it any longer.

If you need more oomph, then the California Blonde II can deliver the goods. It's the only acoustic amp offered by SWR these days.

http://www.swramps.com/products/search.php?partno=4460000010

4460000010_frt_wlg_001.jpg

Is it better to mic the guitar?

A mic like an SM57 pointed at the 12th fret produces a pretty natural sound. Again, RB69 will have better info on the best way to do this, I'd imagine.

If you can maintain a constant position, a mic gives you more of the "acoustic sound". If that's what you are looking for that is.

FWIW, it may be putting the cart before the horse to choose the amp before choosing the pickup design.

Am taking a big, spendy gamble right now personally, trying out a K & K power mix mini with the onboard preamp. The gain, treble, mid, bass controls for each of the two PU's sits on a small preamp board which is hidden inside the instrument after the initial adjustments are completed. The instrument is an Alvarez-Yairi Masterworks DYM94 factory one off prototype. The only thing attached to the top is a very small, light pair of volume control wheels, one for each channel.

When the installation is finished I'll be going into the pedalboard, then in to house soundboard or one of my Super Reverb's' or D-clones.

Definitely "AER compact 60" !!!

2nd choice : Schertler jam 150

I like the Schertler 1st and then the AER 2nd. Im probably in the minority.

Used an AER Compact 60 for quite a while.

Not as compact but by far bigger much warmer and fuller sounding is my wifes old Peavey bass head and old 115 PA box.

Last acoustic gigs I did was with that overkill. Never have I had such a good acoustic sound on stage. At least not as cheaply. AER sounded small, boxy and harsh afterwards. I Sold it.

Used to Use my Fender Concert. Sounded fine.

The thing that really bothers me is the "gummy" sound of the acoustic pick ups. I very selfishly hear an acoustic pick up that sounds somewhat close to an unplugged guitar. And if you try to overcome that, very often the sound becomes very harsh.

in the circles I run in, when a DI to a PA isn't available, Fishman and AER are the most accessible/best quality, not cheap, but not insane either.

I've used the Fender acoustisonic 30's quite a bit, they're great, and I own and use a Marshall AS50D (2x8, 2 channel(one for vox) 'verb and chorus) extensively, and it's fine.

the pickup in the guitar is far and away the biggest variable here, and in my view amplified acoustics simply will only ever sound "meh"...relative to the natural sound, so why spend thousands when hundreds will do.

Uh, Kip. Yeah, me too. This is getting weird. .. in a good way!! :wave: I think it's an okay amp. Not great.

Best sounding internal pickup on an acoustic I've ever heard is whatever the heck is in Tracy's Larrivee OMV-05E. I can get the FOH to sound exactly like her acoustic. No so much on my L-03E. Takes some real magic to get it to sound it's best when amp'd.

Yeah, I'd go with a mic if possible. You can get great sounds from a lot of mics. Anything from an SM57 to a Neumann U87 will work great. It can be easier with an amp though, and you don't have to solely rely on a good sound guy. One that will get good reviews that hasn't been mentioned are the Genz Benz Shenandoahs. I've never actually heard one in person mind you....I've owned one of their electric amps for a decade and it's been dragged to tons of shows, and has given me zero problems. Looks brand new and solid as hell.

Archived