Heritage Owners Club

Gigged a Twin Reverb

tulk1

This past Saturday was the MAFF Expo in Columbia MO. Missouri Fairs and Festivals. I'd mentioned in another thread about playing that gig. The venue provides a backline. I thought, why take my stuff when they'd have perfectly serviceable amps available. Oh yeah. And I drew the Twin Reverb. 100lbs/100watts of the cleanest cleans ever. I played one extensively in the '70s. Had used one briefly a couple of years ago. But Lordy, let me tell you .... Saturday that puppy just roared!! Vol on 4;,Treb- 6 ; Mid - 5; Bass - 6. If it weren't for the weight, that would be all the amp you'd ever need right there! My Tele spanked like a Tele when clean, growled like a mean machine when pushed and just flat out flew off the stage when over driven. Hey I like my Mesa TA15 for bar gigs. But would it ever be nice to have a Twin around for those outdoor and large stage/venue gigs. And yeah, I know about mic'ing. Do it at every gig. But there was just something magical about that Twin. Was telling my brother about it and his comment was, "yeah, guess you'd forgotten how good your Twin sounded". Guess I did. But at my age, I can't be lugging around a 100lb amp. So .... now what?

I remember playing a Vibro King in the old MARS stores. Loved it. But, isn't that about as much weight as a Twin? Seem to recall it was a big amp. Specs on the TwinRI say it's only 68lbs. That's not horrible. Like too many Twin players, I'd like to have just one side - like the non-reverb side. I could live with that. In a head version. Then again, guess that wouldn't be a Twin then, eh?

VK is only 72 lbs. Of course, if you add a 2x12 extension you begin to approach that 100 lb limit you set.

I have and still maintain that the best sonic bliss requires massive transformers. That's why I own a hand truck

Just had a wave of excitement hit me while reading your post.

Feel like I need a twin now.

68lbs is 31kg.....

My 112 combo weighs about 27kg and its not too much of a problem. 4kg more might actually be good for me. Exercise at least.

There is a lot to be said about raw unmitigated power. There is nothing like it and the Fender tone. I just had my '67 Super Reverb serviced. I pick it up this afternoon. I can't wait. I just picked up a country-rock gig with a barbecue band, it'll be my outdoor amp.

I hauled a Twin for years. You just need a buddy to help. Maybe 2 Men and a Truck.

I thought the world ended one day when I had the volume up with reverb on 10 and I jarred the amp. OMG. It couldn't have been louder if a bomb had been dropped on us.

Here's a site that was created by Fender maniacs. It has some soul stirring pix. http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys406/5G8_Twin_Amp.html

A real deal Twin or a Reissue?

For what that amp sounded like, don't care. Sounded like a Twin to me.

There is a lot to be said about raw unmitigated power. There is nothing like it and the Fender tone. I just had my '67 Super Reverb serviced. I pick it up this afternoon. I can't wait. I just picked up a country-rock gig with a barbecue band, it'll be my outdoor amp.

Thats a big amp! 4x10 isn't it? Think that was what my first "pro" amp way back when you and I were just kids!! ...... :laughing7: Seem to recall it was a darned good amp, too.

A twin on 4. No wonder it roared. Glad the gig was fun and hope it results in tons of premier future business.

For the 'now what'... get the best gigging amp ever made and be done with it. Deluxe Reverb.

A twin on 4. No wonder it roared. Glad the gig was fun and hope it results in tons of premier future business.

For the 'now what'... get the best gigging amp ever made and be done with it. Deluxe Reverb.

+1 on a Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb!!!!

Bingo, Randy! And I lugged a Twin, with JBL's around for the better part of a year-and-a-half. Still paying for that, although I had the best upper body fitness I've ever had then....

Guest HRB853370

This past Saturday was the MAFF Expo in Columbia MO. Missouri Fairs and Festivals. I'd mentioned in another thread about playing that gig. The venue provides a backline. I thought, why take my stuff when they'd have perfectly serviceable amps available. Oh yeah. And I drew the Twin Reverb. 100lbs/100watts of the cleanest cleans ever. I played one extensively in the '70s. Had used one briefly a couple of years ago. But Lordy, let me tell you .... Saturday that puppy just roared!! Vol on 4;,Treb- 6 ; Mid - 5; Bass - 6. If it weren't for the weight, that would be all the amp you'd ever need right there! My Tele spanked like a Tele when clean, growled like a mean machine when pushed and just flat out flew off the stage when over driven. Hey I like my Mesa TA15 for bar gigs. But would it ever be nice to have a Twin around for those outdoor and large stage/venue gigs. And yeah, I know about mic'ing. Do it at every gig. But there was just something magical about that Twin. Was telling my brother about it and his comment was, "yeah, guess you'd forgotten how good your Twin sounded". Guess I did. But at my age, I can't be lugging around a 100lb amp. So .... now what?

Could I roady for ya?

My brother's old Dual Showman had 2x15 JBL D150Fs. Magnets the size of a small moon. He had the taller cab. Made it darn near as tall as a Marshal stack. Lay the cab over and 3 people could sit on it. It sounded pretty dandy too. But again, the weight. Even that Dual Showman head weighed a ton.

My brother's old Dual Showman had 2x15 JBL D150Fs. Magnets the size of a small moon. He had the taller cab. Made it darn near as tall as a Marshal stack. Lay the cab over and 3 people could sit on it. It sounded pretty dandy too. But again, the weight. Even that Dual Showman head weighed a ton.

I had one of those rigs! It sounded great!

I remember playing a Vibro King in the old MARS stores. Loved it. But, isn't that about as much weight as a Twin? Seem to recall it was a big amp. Specs on the TwinRI say it's only 68lbs. That's not horrible. Like too many Twin players, I'd like to have just one side - like the non-reverb side. I could live with that. In a head version. Then again, guess that wouldn't be a Twin then, eh?

I worked at the Marietta, GA Mars Music for over three years until they locked it up tight.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

72 lbs. You'll probably want to wear a truss. Even with wheels, that moment always comes when you have to pick the dang thing up. "Could you move it a little over that way? Could you put it up on top of this?"

72 lbs. You'll probably want to wear a truss. Even with wheels, that moment always comes when you have to pick the dang thing up. "Could you move it a little over that way? Could you put it up on top of this?"

Seriously, I think the Twin thing is a dream for me. For these very reasons. I have an original Mesa Lonestar that I don't ever take because of the weight. Cab and head seem to be working great for this oldtimer right now.

There is a particularly clean specimen for sale at a pawnshop here in

Columbus.... I can check on the price & do a test run for ya!

Probably not. Altho' I do appreciate the offer. Unless you just want to go play it. :)

Archived