Heritage Owners Club

Best Acoustic Pickup

peterbright

I have the L.R Baggs Lyric. I installed it myself, and it was very simple. Just make sure you have a mirror to see what you are doing and that's it. No holes anywhere. Technically not a pickup but the thing sounds just like your guitar's natural tone. That can also be good or bad depending on what you have ;) Combined with the SA220 it's my favorite acoustic tone I have ever had. You can still use pedals as well.

Can't say this one is the best ever, but I installed a K&K Pure Mini w/Volume control in my 30th Anni Taylor. Easy enough to not drill on the Taylor, as mine came with the end pin hole pre-sized for an output jack. I'd offer that was fairly forward thinking on their part.

Can't say this one is the best ever, but I installed a K&K Pure Mini w/Volume control in my 30th Anni Taylor. Easy enough to not drill on the Taylor, as mine came with the end pin hole pre-sized for an output jack. I'd offer that was fairly forward thinking on their part.

I installed the same pickup in my Hummingbird but had to drill the hole for the jack. Not a difficult job and the pickup is more than good enough for what I need.

I used an EMG magnetic soundhole pickup in my Epiphone.. You can get them in either single coil or humbucker version.. I used the humbucker because the wiring in my church goes back to the 1920s.. It sounds great!!

I have Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend in my Martin and I am very happy with the sound. You do not have to make a hole in your guitar.

http://www.fishman.com/product/ellipse-matrix-blend-1

+1

I've used the same set up in my Larrivee L-03 for 6 years now. LOVE it and it's very versatile with live set-ups and open mics where you don't know what you're gonna find. The onboard pre-amp is a life saver.

Easy access

P1060752.jpg

But still barely noticeable from a typical vantage point

photo20_zps2cb1c4d6.jpg

Well I didn't order the "best" one but one highly reccomended by one of the largest Martin dealers in the country who also is quite the picker. Got a K & K Pure Mini. Only $91 with free shipping. Now where is my reamer?

Although passive, it works without a preamp...but I have multiple preamps that I can use if necessary.

I have two guitars with K&Ks in them and IMNSHO they suck without a pre, and yes, they are both installed correctly!

With a pre though, I like them. My favorite pre that I've used with them is my Dtar Solstice which blends the K&K

pickup with a Dimarzio Angel soundhole pickup. I actually bought the K&K XLR pre, but it's cheaply made, and

frankly doesn't sound that good! K&Ks have input impedeance issues with a lod of preamps. but I recently heard,

through the grapevine, about a pre that is supposed kick ass with the K&K! I'm having a custom made one that can

be powered by my pedal board, and will feature post EQ 1/4" outputs. It's called the Archangel X7...

http://www.archangelelectronics.com/x7.html

I put a JJB 330 in a J35 Gibson acoustic and I'm very happy with the tone. The pickup is very similar to a K&K but at about 1/3 the price. Its made in the USA and the customer service was great. http://jjb-electronics.com/prestige-330.html

I helped develop the Marcato Violin series. That's my old fiddle you see in the pics. http://jjb-electronics.com/The_Marcato.html I need to do him a sound clip sometime. But I just suck at doing those.

Although passive, it works without a preamp...but I have multiple preamps that I can use if necessary.

For sure, it works. In the open mic I host and run sound for, I get a wide range of challenges each event. For sound hole and kk, I just can't get a " projectionable" sound through the rig without a pre. Plenty of sound with, however, so you're good to go.

Recording an acoustic and projecting one in a a noisy bar live are two very different situations, and I simply don't need the fine sound crafting capabilities many guys are concerned with when talking amplified acoustics. It's crappy, or not. Beyond that I can add a kiss of 'verb, some low or high end, and we're good. 3 songs later, I'm tweaking for the next performer. In that context, with a pre, the kk always does fine.

Archived