Heritage Owners Club

Analog Outfitters in Champaign, IL

schundog

I first heard of this company while going through the now-closed Nashville Wolfe Guitar store. They had a couple of these wood-enclosed heads, made from the wood of old organs, and the Hammond transformers of old organs. Neat concept, and based not more than 40 miles from me. I thought I might check them out one day. Today was that day....

I battled yet another snowstorm today, traversing I-74 in near-white-out conditions to see a client that couldn't meet any other time. I had some time to kill before the appointment, and by chance happened to drive by the storefront of this business. I remembered the name from the trip through Nashvillle, and the Premier Guitar article that highlighted them. I pulled up on the busy street, hurried into the shop in the driving snow, and had to wait 2 or 3 minutes before someone even knew I had walked in. They are obviously not a retail outlet, but a repair/manufacturing shop. There were ancient Hammond organs, Leslie speakers, and wierd old amps everywhere I looked. The had some vintage Fender stuff for sale, way out of reach for me, and their own stuff is pretty pricey, too, but it was very cool to check out. The early 20's kid with a ponytail that eventually came out to greet me told me that he was their marketing guy, and that, while they try to utilize their dealer network, they WILL sell direct, if there is not a dealer nearby (likely, I imagine...) He offered me some of their swag, stickers and pics, as I left. Overall, a cool experience. I would have liked to have talked to the owner/ builder, but he wasn't there, and I didn't have a lot of time. Here's some pics.

94D0FF5B-5621-4079-AD41-74D9586B53AD_zps

AA65E805-14F4-4C9A-B93B-413BEE8E3B79_zps

ED9ABAB1-A680-4AF7-9046-0E3AF9F73096_zps

5C54C835-CCAC-4B74-8B4F-80B4B2E42475_zps

6FAD746E-FC35-4E55-996F-13F1949E0E74_zps

D26FEBBF-358C-4679-B88F-310E6693D67B_zps

2F7E0C11-5430-4E2D-9790-45EBE2E888C0_zps

2E193CBF-F136-4DF9-924A-CFF8D3D2CAD7_zps

0E7AAB74-D5B3-4063-AC3B-6F7F50D2D4E9_zps

I think I would have forgotten the client and got lost there. Thanks Schundog for yet another wonderful & wild vicarious vacation. I'm glad we made the trip. :)

I have played thru a Baldwin amp like the one in the picture. Battle of the Bands promotion inside the Carson Pirie Scott store on State St. in the Chicago Loop (1966?). Worst, gutless piece-of-crap lifeless amp I have ever played. Time may have clouded my memory a bit and maybe I'm a bit harsh.

Thinking more about that day my harshness might be because we got kicked out of the competition for playing, in the words of the judges, a vulgar song, the Rolling Stones "Lets Spend the Night Together".

As a related story we got kicked out of the NAMM show as well, back when it was held in Chicago at the McCormick Place Exhibition Hall (The Who "My Generation"). Good times.

This is from the Analog Outfitters Website.

http://analogoutfitters.com/amplifiers/ao-sarge

The SARGE

The AO SARGE is a 15-watt, EL84 based circuit that delivers BIG tone from a small package.

TECHNICAL SPECEFICATIONS: (spelled wrong)
Power: (2) x EL84 (15 Watts)
Preamp: (2) x 12AX7
Rectifier: 5Y3
Load: 8 Ohms
Controls: Volume, Treble, & Bass

$799.00

Same specifications as my '69 Fender Princeton but without a speaker and twice the price. I played one of these at Jay's. It sounded ok, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I guess you could say he e-MASCO-pated them :D

that one head with Mad Max's grill on the front used to be a Traynor YBA3 custom special, great amps stock....I wonder what they did to it :banana:

what, no dancing banana icon here?

ps maybe I meant de-MASCO-pated

This is from the Analog Outfitters Website.

http://analogoutfitters.com/amplifiers/ao-sarge

The SARGE

The AO SARGE is a 15-watt, EL84 based circuit that delivers BIG tone from a small package.

TECHNICAL SPECEFICATIONS: (spelled wrong)

Power: (2) x EL84 (15 Watts)

Preamp: (2) x 12AX7

Rectifier: 5Y3

Load: 8 Ohms

Controls: Volume, Treble, & Bass

$799.00

Same specifications as my '69 Fender Princeton but without a speaker and twice the price. I played one of these at Jay's. It sounded ok, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Your '69 Princeton uses 6v6 power tubes and a 5U4GB rectifier, different specs completely. I'm more of an EL84 guy, but I love Princetons!

The kid in the shop told me that Nels Cline had picked up a Sarge, really liked it, but wanted one with more OOMPH, so they built him the Super Sarge. I have no proof of any of this, but he really didn't have any reason to lie to me about it, either. The wood cabinets that they use come from the wood cabinets and foot pedals of old discarded organs, which is kind of cool. The REALLY cool part is that they use the transformers from some of those old organs, ie Hammonds, in the amps. They definitely are a boutique niche; There are many many other amps I'd buy before one of these, but they are pretty cool.

Archived