Heritage Owners Club

SS Peavey's from 80's-90's

friendofjaco

I'm looking for opinions about Peavey solid state amps pre-transtube. Specifically the Speacial 112, Jazz Classic 400, and the Bandit 65 solo. I'm wondering how they sound for clean jazz. Anybody here play any of those now or back in the day? Black Widow speaker vs Scorpion?

Used to use Peaveys in the 70's. (Is that back in the day?) They had sooo many models and I wish I could address the specific ones you list. I had a Peavey Standard and earlier a Duece. I worked with a fellow who had a Studio Pro. They were reliable and sturdy but I never found them to be tone-full particularly. They also had the advantage of being inexpensive and that was the big deal I guess. To sum up, I would say practical workhorse.

Guest HRB853370

I'm looking for opinions about Peavey solid state amps pre-transtube. Specifically the Speacial 112, Jazz Classic 400, and the Bandit 65 solo. I'm wondering how they sound for clean jazz. Anybody here play any of those now or back in the day? Black Widow speaker vs Scorpion?

I have a Peavey Bandit 112 with the Blue Marvel. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It also has great clean jazz tones. I have an Express 112 with the Blue Marvel and also a TNT 150 bass amp with a Black Widow. It is capable of stadium volumes. BTW, the Blue Marvels are made by Eminence for Peavey. Can't say enough good things about their transtube circuitry. The Special 212 amps are great amps too, wish I had one!

I've just heard that the older ones ( real heavy w/heavy speaker) are suppose to sound very clear and articulate for clean. And since you can find them real cheap I was just curious what some of the jazzer's on here thought. New solid state jazz amps are expensive. Some of them sound incredible, like Hendriksen or Evans, but they ain't cheap.

Slightly off topic but another under the radar amp for jazz cleans is the Fender Ultimate Chorus. It was a 2x60 stereo solid state amp with two 12" speakers. Very loud and very clean. I had the earlier version with no DSP effects, just onboard reverb and stereo chorus. Traded it for a Cyber Twin over ten years ago now, I preferred the Ultimate Chorus clean tones.

Slightly off topic but another under the radar amp for jazz cleans is the Fender Ultimate Chorus. It was a 2x60 stereo solid state amp with two 12" speakers. Very loud and very clean. I had the earlier version with no DSP effects, just onboard reverb and stereo chorus. Traded it for a Cyber Twin over ten years ago now, I preferred the Ultimate Chorus clean tones.

how much does it weigh? Is it a beast?

Archived