Heritage Owners Club

Those Old Yamaha SS Amps

schundog

When somebody posted recently about the Yamaha SS amp he had recently picked up, I knew I had seen the model SOMEWHERE. Today, I figured out where; two different pawn shops in Decatur, IL, had different models of them. The first was vastly overpriced, and, as the model started with a "B," I assume was a Bass Head.

C695B735-4F43-414A-AD4C-6CE2F5C15686_zps

FF1B5334-022E-4A20-8FEC-1DB447D42ED5_zps

The second one was a combo, and I asked to plug it in. Ground plug had been snipped off. I plugged in a MIM Tele, and played it a bit. Nice, if sterile, cleans, VERY nice reverb, and I really didn't get much of a chance to crank it up, as there were people trying to talk nearby. $139. I didn't bite.

As I was picking out the Tele on the other side of the shelves from the amp, I nodded to an old Black man who was closely inspecting a MIA Peavey Predator. He had on one of those 70's narrow furry hats with the feather in the side, and a polyester long overcoat. He nodded wisely and knowingly at me as I picked out the Tele to play. I asked the guy behind the counter for an instrument cable, and tried the amp out. As I finished, the guy with the Predator asked me politely to use the instrument cable, and "which amp were you using over there?" I told him the Yamaha. He seemed surprised, but plugged it in, and started playing some raw, imperfect, yet perfect, Blues licks on that Black Peavey with the white pickguard, sans pick, just using his fingers. I listened for a bit, then left, glad I hadn't made a bigger fool of myself than I could have.

Oh yeah, the amp....

91FFFF18-FF1D-4DAA-A858-8155561BA7F3_zps

B00974E4-8E41-4FBE-8A4F-DE8305BFB963_zps

......stay tuned for a sneak peak of next week's installment of "Pawn Shop Confessionals".

:icon_study: Keep working those literary chops Schun......your writing style reminds me of a local Detroit sports writer turned novelist named Mitch Albom.........and he's sold millions of books!

Cool story once again. Keep an eye out for this model below, which came in a 2x10, 1x12, and 1x15 combo. Below is the G50-112ii ("2nd generation"). Quite a few still out there. Sold the one below a few years ago for (think) $150 along with a '66 PR and another amp to fund... something. Probably the Allen. Lotsa folks like the cleans, but to me they weren't as nice as a good BF sound. The drive sound was pretty dang good, tho.

guitamps_005_zpsec9a7ab4.jpg

......stay tuned for a sneak peak of next week's installment of "Pawn Shop Confessionals".

:icon_study: Keep working those literary chops Schun......your writing style reminds me of a local Detroit sports writer turned novelist named Mitch Albom.........and he's sold millions of books

PFFT! Hardly, Matt, but thanks for the compliment! He's a great writer. I read "Have a Little Faith" recently, where he talks about having his Rabbi from childhood ask him to perform his eulogy once he's gone, and how he gets to know the old man as an adult. The side story is about a former drug dealer turned minister in inner-city Detroit. Heartwarming, quick read.

That is the amp that I just picked up! See my recent posting.

I know Keith! That, along with Randy's posts about these amps being what he used in the old days is what got me thinking about it. Believe it or not, I ran across ANOTHER one today, a 4-10 speaker model. The Wayne's World look alike employee asked me if I had any questions about it. I wanted to try it out, so he got me a cable, and steered me away from a double humbucker Squier. "They make some great guitars, but that's not one of them," he said. I picked up a Laguna super-Strat type, started the inevitable task of bringing it up to pitch, only to find it was missing it's high E string. I then picked up an Epiphone Flying V, got it going, and tried the amp out. Pretty cool. I knocked him down a little bit on the price, and got it out the door for $125. Just what I (don't ) need, but I don't think I'll get hurt too badly when it moves on down the road. That is, if I can manage to get it back UP the stairs from the basement! I just have too much fun playing with crap like this for my own good. It barely fit in the backseat of my Chevy Malibu. I'll get the pics up next.

I spent the evening tonight cranking up this 4X10 combo with my H-150, with and without my Line 6 HD300 Processor. It's a cool change from the 1X12 combo I'm used to playing through. Very loud, very full sounding. I used a bunch of amp models, delay models, reverb models.... Good Clean (and Dirty) Fun!! I'm not saying it will be a permanent fixture, but I think I'll get my money's worth out of it and THEN some, in smile-inducing fun, before it eventually moves on down the road.

• 4 weeks later...

could you gig with these amps? I know Yamaha make superb quality instruments and what they make is excellent. I take it that these amps are transistor amps, or are they tubes?

Dave's Guitar Shop has a clean G100 2x12 with an asking price of $250, for anyone interested. I bet he'd either come down a bit...or reduce shipping if you really want one of these clean machines.

http://davesguitar.com/products/yamaha/g100-212-combo-80s/

Yamaha G100-212II Combo, 80′s
loader.gifUpdating...

Solid state 2-12 combo, EC

Condition: Used Item Code: ISI1358
$250.00 Call or e-mail for availability loader.gif Updating cart...

Images Click any thumbnail to enlarge
ISI1358-70x57.jpgISI1358B-70x55.jpg

Archived