Heritage Owners Club

NMBAD (again!)

gpuma

Or maybe I should say N

this is a long story.

It is no mystery that I have a soft spot for Boogies, but when I started listening to the Mark V, I was sold.

I then inflicted GAS (or AAS) to myself posting this:
http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/25793-gas-inducing-video-watch-at-your-own-risk/

Add to it, that while I completely love my Single Rectifier, I wanted to switch to a head + cab configuration for obvious practical reasons and you know why I started replying to any possible Mark V listing, on eBay, CL, Reverb... you name it.

Originally my intention was to trade my H575 for it. That guitar deserves to be played, but I digress...

So I looked at the used section of GC and there is one in suburban Chicago... but it is combo and the footswitch is missing. Don't know why but I call anyway. That was gone... but the guy told me that he has a head and it comes with the footswitch.

Without any prior experience, I very naively think that I might trade the 575 in an even trade, so after work I jump in the car and go to suburbia...

I get there and the guy I was emailing back and forth with comes and starts apologizing in 5 different languages because... the fuse is missing. His colleague says that they are going to give me an extra discount for the fuse... and he throws is a ridiculously low price (so low, I am ashamed to make it public).

I start getting suspicious and I say "this is great, but even if it is a fantastic deal, would you buy an used amp without trying it first?"

The guys look at me and say "Dude... this is new, it's a NOS from when GC used to be a Mesa Boogie dealer".

Comes with 5 years warranty.

No more word needed. The 575 remained in the case, the VISA was out of the wallet.

Got home with the amp AND the guitar. I had to explain it to the wife...

PS: The irony of this is that If I knew what GC was going to offer for my 575, I would not even have bothered going there.

I've been looking for a Mesa myself, but I found they are very expensive on the used market and most have too much wattage for my uses. I've decide pedals might be a better solution. Also, I think I'm going to looking into a JCA head. The point for me is to keep my Traynor at home or limited use.

Honestly, Gio, how loud to you push that amp on stage, rehearsal, or at home? I sold my Super Sonic 60 combo because I could never get it up in volume to get that nice power tube saturation tone. Are you able to achieve that with a Mesa?

I'm not bashing your choices or the wonder tones your gaining. I'm just curious to know your plans for using it.

They've been doing the Simul-class thing for quite a while, and it sounds very sweet. (Sorry, I know you didn't ask me but I was at the computer and saw your question.) It mixes the head room of a hight power section with a low watt section and you get both, or you can switch to either. Their amps are all about built in options.

Are you able to achieve that with a Mesa?

One can achieve almost anything with a Mesa. The gain/EQ options are infinite. See the Trey Anastasio rig thread. Turns out he and I have been using the Boogie/Tube Screamer combo for decades. Covers all the bases.

DB, first of all power = loudness is only half of the story, IMHO. You obviously get a lot more headroom and probably much better "definition".

However, regardless of that, the Mark V goes from pure class A 10W to 45W to 90W Simulclass-ed. And altough, of course at different power stages the voicing is not the same (and we go back to the first statement), you can find easily a use case for the Mark V at lower volumes.

Will I ever "push" the 90W? Probably not but I think it is really beside the point.

I don't play 100 notes per second either, but that does not stop me from buying guitars. I am positive that, by spending some time with it I'll be able to dial in a great tone at low volume.

Coming to prices... yes they are expensive but so is most of the "good stuff". I love the Boogie tone and I pay a premium for it (even though in this case I did not :icon_santa:). If you find them too expensive, maybe it is simply because you like other trade-offs better. Or maybe you don't know the boogies well enough :icon_salut:

Edit: I hope you can make it to Chicago next week. You'll try a bunch of Boogies, even some that are neither too powerful nor too expensive

DB, first of all power = loudness is only half of the story, IMHO. You obviously get a lot more headroom and probably much better "definition".

However, regardless of that, the Mark V goes from pure class A 10W to 45W to 90W Simulclass-ed. And altough, of course at different power stages the voicing is not the same (and we go back to the first statement), you can find easily a use case for the Mark V at lower volumes.

Will I ever "push" the 90W? Probably not but I think it is really beside the point.

I don't play 100 notes per second either, but that does not stop me from buying guitars. I am positive that, by spending some time with it I'll be able to dial in a great tone at low volume.

Coming to prices... yes they are expensive but so is most of the "good stuff". I love the Boogie tone and I pay a premium for it (even though in this case I did not :icon_santa:). If you find them too expensive, maybe it is simply because you like other trade-offs better. Or maybe you don't know the boogies well enough :icon_salut:

Edit: I hope you can make it to Chicago next week. You'll try a bunch of Boogies, even some that are neither too powerful nor too expensive

This brings to mind Ren's "speech" at the end of PSPI. With most of us gathered around the Legend Himself, he looks right at us and goes (paraphrasing), "You spend $2000 dollars for our guitars. $1000 for an amp. Then you use a $10 cable. Whats wrong with you?" .............. :laughing7:

Guest HRB853370

Or maybe I should say N

this is a long story.

It is no mystery that I have a soft spot for Boogies, but when I started listening to the Mark V, I was sold.

I then inflicted GAS (or AAS) to myself posting this:

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/25793-gas-inducing-video-watch-at-your-own-risk/

Add to it, that while I completely love my Single Rectifier, I wanted to switch to a head + cab configuration for obvious practical reasons and you know why I started replying to any possible Mark V listing, on eBay, CL, Reverb... you name it.

Originally my intention was to trade my H575 for it. That guitar deserves to be played, but I digress...

So I looked at the used section of GC and there is one in suburban Chicago... but it is combo and the footswitch is missing. Don't know why but I call anyway. That was gone... but the guy told me that he has a head and it comes with the footswitch.

Without any prior experience, I very naively think that I might trade the 575 in an even trade, so after work I jump in the car and go to suburbia...

I get there and the guy I was emailing back and forth with comes and starts apologizing in 5 different languages because... the fuse is missing. His colleague says that they are going to give me an extra discount for the fuse... and he throws is a ridiculously low price (so low, I am ashamed to make it public).

I start getting suspicious and I say "this is great, but even if it is a fantastic deal, would you buy an used amp without trying it first?"

The guys look at me and say "Dude... this is new, it's a NOS from when GC used to be a Mesa Boogie dealer".

Comes with 5 years warranty.

No more word needed. The 575 remained in the case, the VISA was out of the wallet.

Got home with the amp AND the guitar. I had to explain it to the wife...

PS: The irony of this is that If I knew what GC was going to offer for my 575, I would not even have bothered going there.

But did you really get a good deal? From GC? I smell something here.............

This brings to mind Ren's "speech" at the end of PSPI. With most of us gathered around the Legend Himself, he looks right at us and goes (paraphrasing), "You spend $2000 dollars for our guitars. $1000 for an amp. Then you use a $10 cable. Whats wrong with you?" .............. :laughing7:

Hence GT cables were born

DB...there have been two different Boogie combos purchased or sold on this board in the last couple of months for well under 500. that's comparable to a new Blues Jr, or a smokin' deal on a reissue DR or similar. This is nothing like the prices routinely being quoted on here for Carr's, Vic's, Swart's, Heritage's, CBB's, etc etc etc. And these are 20 watt amps. Don't Dismiss the Boogies.

DB...there have been two different Boogie combos purchased or sold on this board in the last couple of months for well under 500. that's comparable to a new Blues Jr, or a smokin' deal on a reissue DR or similar. This is nothing like the prices routinely being quoted on here for Carr's, Vic's, Swart's, Heritage's, CBB's, etc etc etc. And these are 20 watt amps. Don't Dismiss the Boogies.

I'll keep looking. Originally I was looking for a combo, but now I have a huge 2x12 cab, I can look for a head.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to play it. Holy smoke.

First of all:

Contrary to the usual stereotype it is really easy to dial it in. I mean, if you just keep it basic, it is easy to get a good sound out of it.

Channel one: this is the cleanest thing I have ever heard. In the "clean" setting it is headroom bonanza. Jawdropping.

You can then set it to break a little up to a moderate dynamic crunch.

Channel 2 picks it up from there. Great rhythm crunch and also some.solo tone. The Mark 1 setting seemed pretty awesome.

Channel 3 is pure gain. Both the Mark IIC+ and the Mark IV setting sound awesome for lead tone. The "extreme" setting is, well, a little too extreme for me.

But the amp overall is pretty responsive, this is a tone quest that just started.

Ah,one more thing: you can play it At very low volume and still get a very good sound.

I just can't wait to explore more... Feels like there are endless possibilities.

I am happy like a baby.

Archived