Heritage Owners Club

Frampton Ampeg Mercury: Live

slider313

After a few weeks of trying to tame this little beast I finally went with; a 1955 Jensen P12N, a pair of Sylvania 7408 blackplate power tubes, an RCA 5751 phase inverter and a Raytheon 12au7input tube. I found the Celestion blue to be a bit too middy and lacking definition.

I used the amp at last Saturday's gig. This is the amp with the volume on 2, the tone on 9 with a little verb from a Holy Grail Nano and being pushed with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. The guitar is my 2001 R8. I isolated the solo from Pink Floyd's "Time" to cut to the chase. Sorry in advance for the flubs, especially at the F# arpeggio.

Lead_solo.mp3

Great job Mike, or is that "Peter Frampton" playing on his old amp??!!!!

Sounds great, perfect mix of gain & clarity!!!!!

Thanks again guys.

Scott, I've tried three or four speakers and about the same with the tube sets, but I'm still thinking the amp could be just a bit brighter with a little more clarity. These amps compress early on. The volume is pretty much maxed out at about 3-4 on the dial and from there it's only slightly louder with more compression as you turn it up.

What sounds great in the house usually never translates to sounding great with the band. I have one or two more speakers, that are brighter than the P12N, with a large enough magnet to keep the bass tight enough. One is a '64 Oxford alnico 12L6 and the other a '58 Jensen P12P, both reconed by Weber.

John, thanks but I'm no Peter Frampton. I would love to hear him play through this one though! I'll probably put the P12P Jensen in it and use it on our next gig, March 14th. I'm thinking it will have a bit more chime on the top end.

After a few weeks of trying to tame this little beast I finally went with; a 1955 Jensen P12N, a pair of Sylvania 7408 blackplate power tubes, an RCA 5751 phase inverter and a Raytheon 12au7input tube. I found the Celestion blue to be a bit too middy and lacking definition.

I used the amp at last Saturday's gig. This is the amp with the volume on 2, the tone on 9 with a little verb from a Holy Grail Nano and being pushed with a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. The guitar is my 2001 R8. I isolated the solo from Pink Floyd's "Time" to cut to the chase. Sorry in advance for the flubs, especially at the F# arpeggio.

Really man? C'mon. We all blow stuff live. I didn't notice any of it and my Mom's 2nd favorite album is Dark Side. I've been hearing it 40 years. I usually dis people screwing up cliche Floyd songs but that one is a nice choice and the band sounded good. Gotta love those vintage Ampeg's at a fraction of the price everyone is chasing Fenders and Marshall's around for.

Archived