Heritage Owners Club

Why is Gibson still so prevalent and Heritage not so much on the major player scene?

skydog

I'm saying major guitar companys are happy with the positive exposure they get. No matter who builds the guitar its still a Gibson or Fender to the fans.
What benefit do they get by telling the world the guitar your favorite star plays isn't really one of theirs. Would Gibsons have their lawyers call Slash threatening a lawsuit

unless he changes the headstock on his non-Gibson Les Pauls? I bet they would call him and offer to make a signature version of his guitar.
The artists aren't going around Gibsons because they think Gibsons can't build them a great guitar they just have a relationship with a builder they like for whatever reason.
Its not just Gibsons its also Fender guitars that are built by luthiers other than Fender. Fender has a very accomidating custom shop but not all Fenders that you see on stage are built by Fender.

And although I'm not as well known worldwide as Slash I have a builder I like, his name is Marv. Hmmmm... maybe I can get Marv to build me a Tele. IMHO.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may bug some people, but this is my opinion.

I think Gibson is so prevalent because they are iconic. And people want to play what their heroes played, and what

inspired then from the very beginning. My heroes are Mick Taylor, Mark Knopfler, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Peter

Green, Jeff Beck early Billy Gibbons (I can't stand his modern concert tone), Toy Caldwell, etc. Basically what I'm

saying is, I like 50's Les Paul tones and always will. I've gone on record as saying Gibson custom shop Les Pauls,

specifically the Les Paul standard variants, are probably the best production guitars built at the moment. There are

others that may be more fine tuned (ie, Yaron, Bartlett, McInturff), but if you want a Les Paul style guitar, it's hard

to beat what Gibsons custom shop is doing right now. Other than the fake Bumble Bee caps, their LP guitars are

smoking good. They have ridiculously good lightweight mahogany, great custombucker pickups, which many are

now liking more than Throbaks, tight fitting hardware, some beautiful rosewood for the fretboards, tuners with a great

ratio, hide glue on the neck joints, no trussrod condom, etc. If I were a rockstar, I would sign with Gibson in a moment,

as the Les Paul is and will always be, my favorite electric guitar. The reason I got into Heritage guitars is that I wanted

to see if I could, with a minimal amount of money, turn one into the same type of guitar as a custom shop Gibson. Plus,

at the time Gibson was using two-piece fingerboards on the custom shop guitars because of the trouble they got in,

and rubbery heavy plasticizer nitro for their finishes, which they have since corrrected. I also thought that Heritage

has a good wood stash and both of my H150s have some great looking and decent weight woods. And, at that time,

USA Gibson Les Pauls were using weight relieved bodies and rocker joints at the tenon which I didn't like!

But, I am seriously considering selling my H150s, and my custom shop Gibson R0, to fund a 2013 or newer '59 reissue.

My friend Troy recently bought a '59 reissue that may be the best modern Les Paul I've ever heard, it's actually better

than a few vintage ones! Are they all that good, NO, but I heard 3 in one day that were all REALLY good sounding

and they were all bone stock. And the new '59 neck shape feels right to me, it's much closer to vintage.

Now, if Heritage would remove the condom on the trussrod, use hide glue, properly place and use an ABR bridge,

let me spec all the electronic and hardware components, source mahogany that would bring the guitar in around

the high 8lb mark, I would sign with them. I personally feel they could do it, and I the more I play my newer H150,

the more I like Marv's personal touch on the neck shape with it's slight radius. People that read my posts here at

the HOC know that I am a serial guitar modder so that's where this is coming from. I would just like the guitar

to be the way I like it, the day I buy it! And if I were a rockstar and a company would give me a guitar spec'ed

as close as possible to a 57-60 Les Paul that's who I would sign with.

Also another reason to sign with Gibson, is that they have so many other iconic intruments in their stable,

which not only includes the great electrics, but some of the most iconic acoustics, and mandolins. That

is probably even a bigger factor if an endorser has to stay with one brand in an endorsement deal!!!

For example, here's a who's who of popular instruments...

LP, SG, Firebird, ES335, Flying V, Explorer

L5, Byrdland, ES-5, Super 400

Hummingbird, J45, J200, Dove, Advanced Jumbo, L-00

F5 Loar mandolin

I believe Billy Gibbons most likely has permission. I mean, what are they going to do? SUE? And lose a shitload of free advertising dollars? He's got some "real" Gibson guitars, but he's got others that are so weight relieved that you can almost balance them on a finger.

Guest HRB853370

I'm saying major guitar companys are happy with the positive exposure they get. No matter who builds the guitar its still a Gibson or Fender to the fans.

What benefit do they get by telling the world the guitar your favorite star plays isn't really one of theirs. Would Gibsons have their lawyers call Slash threatening a lawsuit

unless he changes the headstock on his non-Gibson Les Pauls? I bet they would call him and offer to make a signature version of his guitar.

The artists aren't going around Gibsons because they think Gibsons can't build them a great guitar they just have a relationship with a builder they like for whatever reason.

Its not just Gibsons its also Fender guitars that are built by luthiers other than Fender. Fender has a very accomidating custom shop but not all Fenders that you see on stage are built by Fender.

And although I'm not as well known worldwide as Slash I have a builder I like, his name is Marv. Hmmmm... maybe I can get Marv to build me a Tele. IMHO.

Apparently, you are just not getting it. Like I said before Pressure, if it says Fender on it it was built by Fender. If it says Gibson on it it was built by Gibson. You are going to have a hard time convincing me that those companies "allow" it to happen. Like Soloway said, it may have happened long ago, but in today's world, I doubt it. I know the local Gibson rep that calls on GC in Atlanta, I may just give him a call. If another builder builds one that looks like it, they will put their name on it. You think Kirn is going to put Fender on his guitars? Why would he want to!!!

Guest HRB853370

I think Gibson is so prevalent because they are iconic. And people want to play what their heroes played, and what

inspired then from the very beginning. My heroes are Mick Taylor, Mark Knopfler, Duane Allman, Jimmy Page, Peter

Green, Jeff Beck early Billy Gibbons (I can't stand his modern concert tone), Toy Caldwell, etc. Basically what I'm

saying is, I like 50's Les Paul tones and always will. I've gone on record as saying Gibson custom shop Les Pauls,

specifically the Les Paul standard variants, are probably the best production guitars built at the moment. There are

others that may be more fine tuned (ie, Yaron, Bartlett, McInturff), but if you want a Les Paul style guitar, it's hard

to beat what Gibsons custom shop is doing right now. Other than the fake Bumble Bee caps, their LP guitars are

smoking good. They have ridiculously good lightweight mahogany, great custombucker pickups, which many are

now liking more than Throbaks, tight fitting hardware, some beautiful rosewood for the fretboards, tuners with a great

ratio, hide glue on the neck joints, no trussrod condom, etc. If I were a rockstar, I would sign with Gibson in a moment,

as the Les Paul is and will always be, my favorite electric guitar. The reason I got into Heritage guitars is that I wanted

to see if I could, with a minimal amount of money, turn one into the same type of guitar as a custom shop Gibson. Plus,

at the time Gibson was using two-piece fingerboards on the custom shop guitars because of the trouble they got in,

and rubbery heavy plasticizer nitro for their finishes, which they have since corrrected. I also thought that Heritage

has a good wood stash and both of my H150s have some great looking and decent weight woods. And, at that time,

USA Gibson Les Pauls were using weight relieved bodies and rocker joints at the tenon which I didn't like!

But, I am seriously considering selling my H150s, and my custom shop Gibson R0, to fund a 2013 or newer '59 reissue.

My friend Troy recently bought a '59 reissue that may be the best modern Les Paul I've ever heard, it's actually better

than a few vintage ones! Are they all that good, NO, but I heard 3 in one day that were all REALLY good sounding

and they were all bone stock. And the new '59 neck shape feels right to me, it's much closer to vintage.

Now, if Heritage would remove the condom on the trussrod, use hide glue, properly place and use an ABR bridge,

let me spec all the electronic and hardware components, source mahogany that would bring the guitar in around

the high 8lb mark, I would sign with them. I personally feel they could do it, and I the more I play my newer H150,

the more I like Marv's personal touch on the neck shape with it's slight radius. People that read my posts here at

the HOC know that I am a serial guitar modder so that's where this is coming from. I would just like the guitar

to be the way I like it, the day I buy it! And if I were a rockstar and a company would give me a guitar spec'ed

I didn't know Heritage used condoms! I thought their guitars were all bareback!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Funny you mention 59 reissue I was in Guitar Center today and snapped this picture of one.

post-194-0-60764000-1394498127_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-60764000-1394498127.jpg

Sorry, but I will take my McInturff Carolinas over mass produced R9s any day of the week (and it cost less)!!! I have never played a R9 that was better, but I did play one that sounded as good as my Carolinas.

Just my opinion, YMMV

I read once that Wendy's almost weny under because of the success of the Clara Peller "Where's the beef" campaign. Seems it brought on unrestrained growth that almost sunk the ship as they didn't have the infrastructure in place to handle it.

I guess I could see the same thing happen to a smaller guitar manufacturer such as Heritage.

Also another reason to sign with Gibson, is that they have so many other iconic intruments in their stable,

which not only includes the great electrics, but some of the most iconic acoustics, and mandolins. That

is probably even a bigger factor if an endorser has to stay with one brand in an endorsement deal!!!

F5 Loar mandolin

Allow me to add ES 175 to the list.

Sorry, but I will take my McInturff Carolinas over mass produced R9s any day of the week (and it cost less)!!! I have never played a R9 that was better, but I did play one that sounded as good as my Carolinas.

Just my opinion, YMMV

John, that's not an accurate price by any means, they are just fishing for people with loose wallets:) I am sure your Carolinas are excellent guitars, and I included McInturff as one of the more tweaked Les Paul variants with Yaron, Bartlett. But, I will hold to my opinion that I would prefer a new R9 as I was blown away by the build quality of the new models, but more importantly the guitar that I tried, played and sounded, exactly how I would want one to. And that is all I need! If my friend would sell me that guitar, I would sell all of my Les Paul types tommorrow to buy it, and I love my R0 and my Heritages. Remember I have played some vintage bursts and 335's in my day and I feel the new models can hang. Gibson custom shop Les Pauls are not mass produced like the USA models, you would be surprised but the amount of hands on work they receive. The stuff that is done with machines makes sense...

http://www2.gibson.com/news-lifestyle/features/en-us/219-gibson-custom.aspx

And this thread is about why people would rather be endorsing Gibson so that's why I posted what I did.

F5 Loar mandolin

So people are buying Gibsons because of what the company accomplished 50 to 115 years ago. Please excuse my sarcasm but that's kind of like buying a Cadillac because you like the fins on Elvis's pink 55 Fleetwood.

So people are buying Gibsons because of what the company accomplished 50 to 115 years ago. Please excuse my sarcasm but that's kind of like buying a Cadillac because you like the fins on Elvis's pink 55 Fleetwood.

That's not the point of the original thread, it's why people choose to be endorsed by Gibson over Heritage. And if your endorsement deal says you have to play solely that one brand it would be nice to have a good choice of instruments at your disposal, hence my list of models! And I truly believe that the custom shop is still building some great instruments based on the original designs. In the last year I have bought three Gibsons that have been stellar, and two of them, my VOS ES-330, and my 50's J-45, are actually better than many vintage examples that I've played! Yes, Gibson Montana is building some ridiculously good acoustic instruments too, and many of them are modern designs. So with that in mind, I would go with Gibson. And by the way I feel both companies make some ridiculous guitars, but I will keep those to myself.

That is not to knock Heritage one bit. There are many drool worthy Heritage guitars, a perfect example to me would be Yoslates custom Super Eagle with P90's, it's stunning, but let's be real here, a good share of Heritage guitars are based on those same guitars that Gibson built. So to me, your sarcasm is misdirected, as it has nothing to do with the intent of the original post.

That's not the point of the original thread, it's why people choose to be endorsed by Gibson over Heritage. And if your endorsement deal says you have to play solely that one brand it would be nice to have a good choice of instruments at your disposal, hence my list of models! And I truly believe that the custom shop is still building some great instruments based on the original designs. In the last year I have bought three Gibsons that have been stellar, and two of them, my VOS ES-330, and my 50's J-45, are actually better than many vintage examples that I've played! Yes, Gibson Montana is building some ridiculously good acoustic instruments too, and many of them are modern designs. So with that in mind, I would go with Gibson. And by the way I feel both companies make some ridiculous guitars, but I will keep those to myself.

That is not to knock Heritage one bit. There are many drool worthy Heritage guitars, a perfect example to me would be Yoslates custom Super Eagle with P90's, it's stunning, but let's be real here, a good share of Heritage guitars are based on those same guitars that Gibson built. So to me, your sarcasm is misdirected, as it has nothing to do with the intent of the original post.

Perhaps because my own experiences with Gibson don't mirror yours. The worst guitar I ever owned was a Gibson, bought new and turned out to have serious structural flaws under the paint. I also took in a whole bunch of Gibsons over the last 11 years as trade-ins and the number that had quality control issues was shocking to me, problems of the sort that never would have been allowed out of the shop from most other companies. that may not be a fair representation but it's made me pretty sour on the entire company.

Why is Gibson still so prevalent and Heritage not so much on the major player scene?

I think a lot of people fail to realize that the most "endorsable" players are looking at things as business opportunity....period. Gibson will be more attractive to the potential "endorsee" for many reasons but lets not pretend the most important reason isn't purely financial.......Heritage can't compete because the budget simply isn't there to do so in a competitive manner.

As far as the value comparison goes, it's a no brainer for a weekend warrior like me to purchase a Heritage over a Gibson EVERYTIME. I may not have a owned a laundry list of vintage wood to compare my Heritage guitars against but I do have decent common sense, the quality I've seen and can feel from Heritage can be purchased at a price point that's often THOUSANDS cheaper then Gibson, any make, any model.

I don't dispute that the Gibson custom shop isn't currently producing some of their finest work ever, I simply couldn't justify spending the kind of money that they want for it. I'd bet that only 1 of 10 players could tell you the difference between a stock H-150 and a Custom Shop Les Paul during a blindfolded test. I'd also be willing to bet that 1 of 1000 players could ACTUALLY hear a difference.

Luckily for me, the chances that I'll ever find myself in a position to pick between endorsements is very small. :spam1:

Please excuse my sarcasm but that's kind of like buying a Cadillac because you like the fins on Elvis's pink 55 Fleetwood.

:laughing4: I think this is sad but true. According to H.L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

My 2¢. I have an acquaintance that works at the Gibson Montana facility. He was a luthier before he was employed there and is very aware of the Gibson legacy and proud to be part of it. There is no doubt in my mind that he is attempting to make the very best product available for the market place. If the situation arose and the price was right I definitely would own a Gibson Montana instrument, particularly an acoustic one. That being said I would never own a post Kalamazoo Gibson production instrument. They simply lack the soul that Parson Street put forth. Thus the saying, "If it wasn't built in Kalamazoo it's not a Gibson, just a cheap imitation."

​Jim, I believe you are dealing with a more more discerning clientele. They originally bought Gibson from the companies marketing perspective thinking they were doing the right thing. Sensing that something was wrong and rather than dealing with the factory of the distributor they simply replaced it with a quality product.

As a former high school teacher nearly every high school electric guitar player I came in contact with wanted as Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocaster. They have been programmed to think they are the best. They have no idea about custom shops for that matter. Most believe that their guitar heroes simply buy them off the shelf. This marketing ploy is what keeps Gibson and Fender operating. They must perpetuate this myth by paying endorses to promote their product. Heritage does not.

:laughing4: I think this is sad but true. According to H.L. Mencken, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."

My 2¢. I have an acquaintance that works at the Gibson Montana facility. He was a luthier before he was employed there and is very aware of the Gibson legacy and proud to be part of it. There is no doubt in my mind that he is attempting to make the very best product available for the market place. If the situation arose and the price was right I definitely would own a Gibson Montana instrument, particularly an acoustic one. That being said I would never own a post Kalamazoo Gibson production instrument. They simply lack the soul that Parson Street put forth. Thus the saying, "If it wasn't built in Kalamazoo it's not a Gibson, just a cheap imitation."

​Jim, I believe you are dealing with a more more discerning clientele. They originally bought Gibson from the companies marketing perspective thinking they were doing the right thing. Sensing that something was wrong and rather than dealing with the factory of the distributor they simply replaced it with a quality product.

As a former high school teacher nearly every high school electric guitar player I came in contact with wanted as Gibson Les Paul or a Fender Stratocaster. They have been programmed to think they are the best. They have no idea about custom shops for that matter. Most believe that their guitar heroes simply buy them off the shelf. This marketing ploy is what keeps Gibson and Fender operating. They must perpetuate this myth by paying endorses to promote their product. Heritage does not.

DING! DING! DING! DING! That's the magic word right there! Marketing.

Seems like every time i see a heavy hitter slinging a les paul "type" guitar, it's still a Gibson. These guys can afford anything they want.

This was the original thought that Paul was questioning. I answered his question with logical answers while many here took

it as a reason to bash Gibson. Marketing is rarely why players choose Gibson, it's why Gibson chooses players, and that is

not the question posed. Paul was asking why heavy hitters were slinging Gibsons. A very small percentage of these players

get anything more than some free guitars from Gibson. They choose the guitar they would use! And most of these guys

played Gibsons before they got any kind of endorsement deal so that should speak volumes. Do you honestly think that if

given the same deal from Heritage they would switch? I don't, and I personally know some of these guys! One of them

being my brother who was offered a sponsorship from Gibson. And as for Gibson using this for marketing that has been

by done all of the makers, it's just plain good business sense, Heritage chooses not to do that, and as it's been said, maybe

they don't want that kind of growth, and perhaps couldn't handle it.

And this business about Kalamazoo being the only place that makes a REAL Gibson is ridiculous. Some of the worst guitars

and "innovations" in Gibsons history originated in Kalamazoo. The Norlin era of Gibson produced some of the worst quality

control ever! Fortunately both Gibson and Heritage have reversed many of the decisions that were made concerning the

way many of their guitars were built since then.

When hear Gibson bashing, I just roll my eyes, as without Gibson, there would be no Heritage, and very little market for Heritage

guitars. And it seems that many people here forget that alot of Gibson Kalamazoo people did leave and go to Nashville. And, I can't

count the number of times I've heard "I bought a Heritage because I couldn't afford a Gibson". Is that to say a Heritage is just a

cheaper version of Gibson, no, as a matter of fact when it comes to archtops I feel some Heritages are the cream of the crop!!!

I would love to buy a high end Heritage archtop, but when it comes to Les Pauls, I have to go with Gibson's custom shop as they

use the components I want on a Les Paul, and the build specs as in hide glue and no truss-rod sheath. It's taken them years to

get there, but that's what they are doing, so that's why I would choose them. I bought three Heritage guitars in one years time

to get a feel for what they were about, and I've concluded that from what I've seen, they are fanatastic guitars, and are an excellent

value. Are they perfect? No, all three of mine needed fretwork, had badly cut nuts, and the soldering was sloppy on two of the

three. And I had to replace the hardware and electronics on the two I kept. Have I bashed them? No, I corrected the those things

and now they are great guitars, and even with the extra money spent, they were better values to me than buying a comparable

Gibson historic. I think buying a used Heritage H150 with their low resale value, and modding them is one of the smartest Les

Paul style guitar buys on the planet. But if money is no object, or a company is offering me an endorsement, I'm taking the one

who makes the best starting point, and that to me it's the Gibson custom shop. I don't talk about my endorsements much, but I

have a few, and more importantly, I've turned down a few for the same reasons we are talking about. If Gibson offered me an

endorsement under the condition that I would only play their guitars, I could live with that, because of the reasons I stated. I

couldn't say that about any other company. Not Martin, not Fender, not PRS, not Heritage not anyone! The only thing I would need outside of the Gibson camp would be a National resonator, because Gibson doesn't do a biscuit or tricone style reso as far as I know. But nine out of ten times, when I'm out earning the live performance cash, especially on big money gigs, I've got a Gibson in my hand. And I've had to spend my hard earned money on those guitars.

Yes, I have played some Gibson duds, the Firebird I bought a few years ago had ridiculous quality control. It had too small pickup

springs, bad solder joints on the pickup covers, fret file marks on the fingerboard, and those crappy banjo tuners that wouldn't hold

tune, and the balance on that guitar, because of those ridiculously heavy banjo tuners, was the worst of any guitar I owned.

I couldn't unload that guitar fast enough! But since then I got two birds that were GREAT, and the issues that plagued the first one

had been corrected in the second two. The bad one was a Gibson USA (memphis built), and so are the two new ones so it looks like Memphis stepped up their game. I guess when you build that many guitars a few duds are bound to slip through the cracks, but I bought that guitar on a professional discount, and sold it for what I paid (after I fixed the problems), so no harm done. And I know the new owner of that guitar who put a Callaham bridge and Steinberger tuners on it, and now it's his favorite guitar!

I'd also be willing to bet that 1 of 1000 players could ACTUALLY hear a difference.

Matt,

Challenge accepted!

Next time you're over, let's give it a shot. I did an A/B with my H-150 Classic and a custom shop Goldtop '57 RI, and confirmed the LP had that classic LP tone (Beano and "Gently Weeps) I have in my head. At first I was bothered by the noticeable difference, but came to accept the differences as complimentary sounds. I love my 150 Classic with the SD '59s as a great alternative. Along with my H-150 GT with P-90s, I have a considerable range of cool LP sounds. Not actual '56, '57, and '59, but the P-90s, A2s, and A5s get me as close as I can get to the vintage "trinity", and as used instruments, for the cost of a single new custom shop LP.

That said, I'd love to inherit any custom shop LP. One more couldn't hurt, right?

Archived