Heritage Owners Club

That's kind of disturbing

I replaced the stock Celestion 10N-40 speaker in my Kustom Defender 15V with a Warehouse G10C. It sounds great. The G10C sounds more like a 12" than a 10". It's a very full sounding speaker that's similar to an Eminence Ragin' Cajun.

But after playing it for a while tonight, I noticed the smell of something burning. It smelled like insulation. I smelled it before but I was never able to isolate it. I turn that amp off and on so often that it never occurred to me before. To be safe I unplugged the amp.

If a problem develops that requires service, I think I'll have the amp rebuilt with a Fender Champ II circuit.

Warehouse Guitar speakers have a very good reputation.

You might want troubleshoot by returning the old speaker to the amp and try to reproduce the smell to isolate whether it is the speaker or the amp.

Then maybe compare the specs of the two speakers and confirm that they are both compatible with the amp.

Or maybe just try blowing the dust off the tubes which usually works for me.

I had the same experience about a month ago. I had a power tube red plate and there was even a little smoke. Replaced both of the power tubes, rebiased, and threw the old tubes out.

Problem solved.

I don't think it's a speaker problem. I remember smelling this before I changed the speaker. I just couldn't isolate the smell. I can try swapping power tubes to see if that takes care of it. Honestly, tubes were the first thing that I suspected.

It has been a year or so since I changed them. These tubes get a lot of wear because I'll play for a half hour, then shut the amp off. And then turn it back on later in the day. So they are heating up and cooling down often.

The amp is probably due for a new set.

I swapped the power tubes with a new set of Groove Tubes. I'm having the same problem. I suspect it's the labels that are attached to the tubes. The labels on the old set are discolored from heat. I suspect the same thing is happening with this set. I'm going to pick up a set of JJ's to see if that makes a difference.

Archived