Heritage Owners Club

Boss ME series

gpuma

I am curious about the multi effect ME series by BOSS. They are kind of in between a typical multi effect and a single stomp box, with all the controls being knob based.

The older ones are pretty cheap. I imagine that the drive sounds must be pretty horrible on those older ones, but maybe the modulation effects are good.

Anyone has any experience with those (ME-50, ME-70 or ME-80)?

I have an ME-20. It's not great but I do use it for practice. I run my computer through it with headphones for late night and early morning practice. If someone comes to the house to jam I use it through an amp. I keep my regular pedal board at our rehersal house so this is convenient. I find it easy to use.

I just sold an me50 that I had had for a long time. I used it heavily over the years but never at home. It never sounded very good at home.

The reverb to splatty and artificial, the delays to ping'y. The od's and distortions were terrible and I never used them.

The modulations were also quite average. Over all quite a horrible multi fx.

But I did use it a lot and it always worked and always sounded about right. It was just that at home in isolation I could hear what wasnt right.

Take from that what you will...... Its great, would use again - its terrible, would never use again.

Im fond of it. :)

I just sold an me50 that I had had for a long time. I used it heavily over the years but never at home. It never sounded very good at home.

The reverb to splatty and artificial, the delays to ping'y. The od's and distortions were terrible and I never used them.

The modulations were also quite average. Over all quite a horrible multi fx.

But I did use it a lot and it always worked and always sounded about right. It was just that at home in isolation I could hear what wasnt right.

Take from that what you will...... Its great, would use again - its terrible, would never use again.

Im fond of it. :)

Thank you that's very helpful but it's not

Hahaha

I've had the GT-3, GT-6, and GT-8 over the years. These are the larger, menu-based Multi-effects from Boss. Built like tanks, will last forever, cheap cheap cheap nowadays. The MEs have a smaller footprint, and are more intuitive like a stompbox, being knob-based. Tone is in the eye of the beholder; A very popular Jimmy Buffet tribute band around here has used a GT-6 for YEARS, and I've never seen anybody eye it or their tone with disdain. Of course, most of the patrons are pretty well lubricated by the time the band starts playing...

the thing the discourages me from the GT series is the user interface. The ME series seems so much more straight forward.

The cool thing about the gt100 is the external loop.

This gives you the ability to use your favourite od pedals (or modulation and time based fx) in conjunction with the Boss multi.

You can place the od pedal(or what ever) any where in the signal chain where as with the ME series you can only place an external stomp at the start or at the end.

For instance you can assign your favourite od at the start of the chain in one patch for chordy rhythmy stuff and then in another patch have it 2nd in line after the on board compressor....as an example.

Also the "Powerful A/B Channel Divider for creating dual amp and effects chains that can be blended together..." :)

You could have a driven AC15 on one side blended with a pushed twin on the other and then blend the two together.......if you like cosm modeling that is.

You can also use the gt to control your amp, one patch for clean with swirly chorus and ambient delays and the next patch is the high gain channel of your amp.

I like this kind of thing. Im just unsure about the current version of cosm amp modeling. None of the previous versions seem to have been very good to me.

The delays, verbs and modulations all seem to be alright.

Im also pretty happy just to plug into an amp and try to play right now so most of these cool features mean anything to me. But they are cool. Mainly the external loop.

Archived