Heritage Owners Club

New amp in mid-build...

Here is my new 40-watt tube amp in mid-build. My builder is still waiting on the cabinet from his cabinet maker.

e2e1835dc082d390b035133770555cc7_zps5765

It is similar to my last one from Henry is its Blackface preamp design and overdrive channel (both of which I liked very much). It is however, missing a tube reverb and larger power & output transformers and can only run in cathode dias. It does offer some new features such as a Tweed preamp.

49377d1c12dfc30dc225195d5a2c34f4_zpsbe6d

I am having the cabinet built with a small onboard power strip and I will mount a small digital reverb pedal in the cabinet placed in the effects loop. The amp is also smaller and will fit in a small 17" cabinet. I am going to try a Neo speaker in it (either a Emi Tonkerlite or a Jensen Jet Tornado). It should weigh about 32-lbs when complete (which is 16 lb. lighter than my BlackVerb).

I should have it in 2-3 weeks.

Yeah, since I sold my 5E3, I will be curious to see the "feel" and touch sensitivity of the Tweed preamp compared the RedPlate BF preamp which I was already familiar with. The foot controller should allow me to switch between:

- Tweed or BF preamps

- Engage or disengage the Overdrive

- Engage a mid-boost (full stack lift on Tweed or partial stack lift on BF)

- A control that adds a larger treble cap to the BF preamp to emphasize mids

• 2 weeks later...

Will do...it is getting close to delivery. Henry has been backlogged on cabinet delivery from his cabinet maker. He will be A/Bing the Emi and the Jensen in his shop in AZ. He usually tunes each amp a bit to the actual speaker used (trim pots).

The amp will be shipped on Monday....(went with the Jensen BTW)

Henry's comments between the Tonkerlite and the Tornado was:

...decided to go with your Jensen, speakers were very close - the EMI might have been a frog hair more efficient but barely enough to notice, I liked the clean breakup of the Jensen better...

d2d454957ad0a355cb0f94d315639d6a_zps6539

cc07178a8b457b04c437c51ddbe24716_zps7bab

Hat is off to the OP on this one. To me this kind of process epitomizes...

Boutique amps for boutique guitars,

Boutique guitars for boutique amps!

Very, very well done! I'd love to have one of Henry's amps. He is a hugely knowledgeable and respected amp builder.

• 2 weeks later...

much pleasure with the new amplificator. i've had a Tornado in my Juke Coda for years. A/B'd it with everything i could get my hands on, ended up leaving it in. and it's about 14 lbs lighter than my EVM-12L.

Archived