Heritage Owners Club

New Victoria Amp Day

Well after completing all of my guitars to where I liked them, I decided I would get my amplifiers

in line. Last year I bought two amps, a Vox AC15C1, which sounded great, but then after reading

about how much better they sound, I bought a Vox AC15HW1. I love the tone of the VCAC15HW

but missed the trem and reverb, so I started looking for a handwired amp with great trem and verb.

I did alot of research and I consistently heard Victoria amps have the greatest reverb and trems

so I went and listented to all the models that had both. Fortunately for me, my buddy Troy who

works on all of my amps, and is my very own amp whisperer, just bought a Victoria Regal II.

Regal II's are unique in their ability to take almost any kind of power and rectifier tube I would

want to use. Check out their page for info http://www.victoriaamp.com/amplifiers-2/

I was so taken by the amp that I started hunting down one. Troy runs KT66 tubes in his as he loves the

original Eric Clapton Bluesbreaker tones, but I wanted less volume so I decided I'd go with 6V6's.

If that didn't do it, I would try 5881's like the ones Slider313 posted about a few days ago.

Well I found one with NOS glass in it, and today they amp got here from Tejas! It sounds GREAT!

No mods necessary, and I am floored by the tone. The Reverb and Trem are unbelievable and

the tone I like, that fine line between clean and crunch, is there is spades. And you should hear

it with my pedal board!!!

The amp is built to withstand anything shy of Nuclear Holocaust! The lacquered tweed cab is great.

I got it for a very fair price, $1650 shipped and paypal'd to me. That included a Victoria cover and

a thicker padded cover for transport!

The only downside is the weight, which is 52lbs

I will be selling both my TopHat Club Deluxe and the AC15 as this amp does exactly what I want an amp to do!

Here's the obigatory pics along with gut shots for the amp nerds...

Guts2.jpg
Guts1.jpg
NOSTubes.jpg
Vicky2.jpg

Congrats! I see a set of GE blackplate 6V6GT's and a Sylvania 5Y3; nice. What about the preamp tubes? That's a single 15" speaker, correct?

Sylvania 12AX7s and 12AT7 all Sylvanias. Yes single 15", an Eminence Legend, which I prefer over the Weber alnico

15. I've heard them both, and I like the spank of the ceramic speaker, and it's more suited to what I was looking for. I also

have an original 1962 Jensen C15N that I will be trying out in a few days, but the amp is doing what I want so I doubt I

will use that speaker, but you never know. Funny thing, the rectifier has the three letters DPW on it, and that's my initials,

a sign from the amp gods perhaps:)

I think Victoria make the best Tweed amps, next to vintage tweeds, on the market today!!!!

And I am with you on the eminence vs weber Alnico. When we talk live, I will tell you the difference with my experience comparing the Weber Anico to the Celestion Blue. The Celestion Blue just destroyed the corresponding Weber Alnico model. Honestly, I feel Weber speakers are hugely over-rated. Just my .02

Also, I have 2x10 eminence legends in my 1967 Vibrolux Reverb and they sound amazing!!!

I think Victoria make the best Tweed amps, next to vintage tweeds, on the market today!!!!

And I am with you on the eminence vs weber Alnico. When we talk live, I will tell you the difference with my experience comparing the Weber Anico to the Celestion Blue. The Celestion Blue just destroyed the corresponding Weber Alnico model. Honestly, I feel Weber speakers are hugely over-rated. Just my .02

Also, I have 2x10 eminence legends in my 1967 Vibrolux Reverb and they sound amazing!!!

Looking forward to the conversation John, and yes, my old AC30 clone sounded much better when I swapped the Weber BlueDog

over to a Celestion Blue. But I am not anti-Weber just a few of their models. I stand by the 12A150 (after break-in), in a Deluxe

Reverb, and Ted Weber made me a custom variant of a Silver Bell that sounded ridiculously good in my old TopHat Club Royale.

A well broken in Weber 12A150 is my favorite, but one does need patience or buy an already broken in one as I did.

Wow. That looks great. I've never gotten to play through a Victoria, but I really love the way tweed amps sound.

(Edit - I have a Champ-based amp by an independent builder. It's great, but he also used NOS tubes, so I'm concerned I'll wind up always foraging for old tubes).

There are no perfect rules for speakers, the blue dog that was in my vox clone sounded great in somebody elses amp. You have to match the speaker to the amp.

Congratulations, Daniel. That looks like an awesome setup for a pro like you. Have fun with it!

P.S. I love my Weber Blue Dog, but I guess that's why there's different flavors of ice cream.

Dan'l, is this thing pulling Vox duty for you, then? Vox, in all it's mighty variances is still my fav amp tone.

Kenny I think this going to bump the Vox, but I'll give it a while before I make that call. I have

an electric festival gig May 10th and I'll let you know after that. For my smaller acoustic gigs

I just use my Boogie on the clean channel (adjusted to be dirty that sounds clean) and it works

fine. But this is amp is world class and built as good as I ever seen any amp, and sounds as

good as it's built! Hat's off to Victoria.

. But I am not anti-Weber just a few of their models. I stand by the 12A150 (after break-in), in a Deluxe

Reverb,

A well broken in Weber 12A150 is my favorite, but one does need patience or buy an already broken in one as I did.

You should try the 12A150 W. It's the next speaker I'll buy and the speaker that was designed for the reissue Fender low powered tweed Twin. I had Weber recone a pair of 1961 Jensen P12P's with the 12W cone and 50 watt voice coil. They sound amazing! The magnet on the P12P is smaller than the "N", so I can only imagine how good a 12A150W will sound. I hope to find out soon. FYI, Weber will break in a speaker, at no extra cost, if you ask.

Hey Slider my old 1962 ampeg mercury, vintage Jensen P12R speaker, like this...

Jensen.jpg

...is getting a little voice coil rub, would you recone it with that same cone???

I just had a '64 C12R reconed but went with Orange County in CA. Weber didn't have the traditional cone type for the "R" series Jensen but the one OC had looked "right". They will also use a Kapton coil former, to bump the voice coil up to 45 watts, if you want. That's what I did.

Archived