Heritage Owners Club

The KBP810 5E3 Clone and Reverb; He Was Right, Not Needed....

schundog

When I contacted our forum brother Brian, KBP810 about building a 5E3 clone for me, I asked him if it could have reverb. He hesitated a bit, before patiently explaining to me that, even if he COULD add that to this circuit, it would not be a good idea, as, first of all, it may take something away from what the amp was, and second, it simply didn't need it. I warmed up the 5E3's tubes tonight for a bit, then hooked up my H-137, the best sounding guitar with this amp, IMHO. (I haven't had ANY guitar really sound bad through it.) I ran it through my pedalboard, and on a couple of songs stepped on my Boss DD-3 for a little bit of delay. While it didn't sound bad, it was really not needed, and frankly sounded better without it. The slightest adjustment of EITHER volume knob on the amp or either volume or tone knobs on the guitar make a huge difference in tone and gain. While initially somewhat daunting to get used to, I now love the interactive nature of the two volumes on the amp. After a couple years, I just wanted to thank Leo and Brian for providing another evening of wholesome-yet-loud entertainment. What a great combination the 5E3 and 137 are!

you had the 5E3 at the Muster this year. What a monster it was. I envy you that box, for sure. Glad to hear it's still putting a smile on your face.

Talking about the Muster...maybe we should start planning

Archived