Heritage Owners Club

roland jc 90

ironmike

Plenty of people have played jazz out of the JC series from Roland. They have fallen out of popularity as an amp lately due to their weight and, frankly, just how much the Roland Cube's imitation was so close. I am one of those. I had the JC120 and the Cube at the same time. I let the JC120 go just because, well, I didn't need THAT much power and I got the same sound out of a much smaller and lighter single 12. The JC90 I am sure is lighter than the JC120 but probably not anywhere close to the Cube.

Anyways, there are those that love the JC sound and those that really, really don't. If you are more partial to Fender jazz tones then you MAY find it hard to cozy up to it. Me? I love both and the Cube satisfies my JC needs. :D

My Cube is a never sell. :)

i'm going for one for a few reasons, 1, i've been a tube guy for 40 years and have all the best of the fenders tube amps already and want a variant. 2, i remember playing with 'LITTLE BUSTER' back in new york and he used one ,never failed. and 3, i want a super clean amp for my fat string 575's. and 4 ,i often play out of two amps through a splitter, so i think i can make the roland fit in no matter what...but, never having owned one before, i'm chomping at the bit to get it..

i'm going for one for a few reasons, 1, i've been a tube guy for 40 years and have all the best of the fenders tube amps already and want a variant. 2, i remember playing with 'LITTLE BUSTER' back in new york and he used one ,never failed. and 3, i want a super clean amp for my fat string 575's. and 4 ,i often play out of two amps through a splitter, so i think i can make the roland fit in no matter what...but, never having owned one before, i'm chomping at the bit to get it..

Very cool. If you already know you dig it or will work for you, then you are set. The JC is about a solid amp as they come.

It's a short life, getting shorter! Go for it.

is that 77 just about the same amp? what did you like about it ?

It's gotta be similar. It was 1984 and I used it for a Roland guitar synth and I would switch to a strat. It was light weight (my other amp was a twin reverb so I was relieved to not have to move that.) It had plenty of power and projection for stage volume, it was usually mic'd. I got lots of good comments on how it sounded but eventually I sold it. It sold quickly and easily.

so you recon it'll give me a clear and warm sound with a 575?

I would indeed recon that. It was long before my arch top days so I never got the chance to try that. My next amp was a Mesa Boogie MKIII simul class stack and I started a band called "The Thrusters!" with predictable results.

Actually... the distortion has its uses. If you are trying to get the Plexi thing or, well, anything that a normal person might call gain going, then you might be a bit disappointed.

What I used it for, and thought it was great at, was to add a bit of LoFi grit to a tone. JUST a touch of it the distortion I thought was REALLY nice. That's me though.

Actually... the distortion has its uses. If you are trying to get the Plexi thing or, well, anything that a normal person might call gain going, then you might be a bit disappointed.

What I used it for, and thought it was great at, was to add a bit of LoFi grit to a tone. JUST a touch of it the distortion I thought was REALLY nice. That's me though.

I can see that.

Archived