Heritage Owners Club

NAD - for Grab and Go

I've been toying with the idea of getting a good, lower wattage amp for practicing. A while back there was a Lil King for sale on Craigslist, but I was traveling at the time, and when I got home, it was already gone. I looked at a PR RI, but nothing really has hit the used market.

Back in February when I went to the Spartanburg Guitar Expo, there was a shop in Asheville that was displaying several amps, both Fender and Marshall clones. Its called the Amp Shop. Last month, I stopped by and checked out his AA1164 BF Princeton. He also had the BF DR, and an 18watt Marshall.

Friday, I stopped by and picked up the BR PR. Like most cloners, they are hand wired point to point. Finger jointed pine w/ birch cabs, and comes stock with the Jensen C10Q.

AA1164%20NAD.jpg

The past two days have been spent playing with it. Nice and clean with the H140 and the ASAT up to about 4, then you get some nice breakup. Take it to 7 and you'll be singing. Surprisingly loud for a 10" at about 12-15 watts. Lush reverb, and its been a long time since I've actually had a tremolo. I just HAD to do a little Beach Boys "In My Room".

I think this is the one that's coming up to PSP.

DavesUltra,

It was just a bit more than a PRRI from Sweetwater or a MOJOTone KIT (which I would have to build).

Here's John's website THE AMP SHOP

Randy,

John is now advertising in VG. I saw his ads a few months ago, and thought "that's the guy from the show, gotta stop by that place the next time I drive thru Asheville". What you see in the video is what the shop looks like. Amps stacked all over the place, mostly repair work. He had several already built, including some Super Reverbs. While I was there he was building a Twin.

Oh, yeah, I dig that thing, Rich! Honestly, I haven't seen a Fender PRRI that didn't "rattle" at about half way up the volume knob. There is a fix, by screwing a piece of angle iron against the baffle, but for the $, that just shouldn't be necessary, IMHO. PLEASE bring it to PSP!

DavesUltra,

It was just a bit more than a PRRI from Sweetwater or a MOJOTone KIT (which I would have to build).

Here's John's website THE AMP SHOP

Randy,

John is now advertising in VG. I saw his ads a few months ago, and thought "that's the guy from the show, gotta stop by that place the next time I drive thru Asheville". What you see in the video is what the shop looks like. Amps stacked all over the place, mostly repair work. He had several already built, including some Super Reverbs. While I was there he was building a Twin.

this is the business I was hoping KBP810 would have gotten into. Maybe I should take the amp building process over and pick up where he left.

Archived