Heritage Owners Club

one Boogie out, One Boogie in NAD

gpuma

I found this pretty interesting vintage Boogie locally. So the 525 express went out the door and a 35 years old Boogie came in.

It is a Mark IIB in really great conditions. It started its life as a 1x12 combo in 1981 and it was converted by Mesa to a head plus two 1x12 cabs in 2002. I got only one of the cabs. Supposedly these 2 cabs were equipped with Altec 417, however the speaker I have is labeled as 418. The altec 418 is a 15" speaker so obviously the label is wrong. Who knows what it really is...

In any event, the amp has most of the options available at the time, including reverb, simulclass and graphic EQ. Also it came with a ton of original documentation, one hand signed by Randall Smith and his wife. Pretty cool

image-20160117_195107_zpsoxpovptx.jpg

image-20160117_195217_zps6xe8ttcf.jpg

20160117_194824_zpsnk3tzulv.jpg

image-20160117_200346_zpszfagqczq.jpg

That speaker is a 417H Series II, the latest model of the 417 Altec made, also has the most power handling capacity, but still has a soft suspension and has some of the nicest cleans of any guitar speaker made. They can handle at least 100 watts, likely 150. One of the most honest guitar speakers made, delivers a relatively uncolored tone, with a very wide frequency range.

Plus you've got that "PULL/BRIGHT" option on the volume knob. With what Mav is saying about the ALTEC (told you he'd know) that thing has gotta sound sick with the Tele doing the Soul shuffles we do.

Can't wait to hear it, Mr. I've-got-a-Mark V-there-is-simply-no-need-for-any-other-amp-ever.

Presence on the back of the amp. Interesting. Guess there wasn't any real estate left on the front, tho'. Hope you like it. Some of the older Mesa's can take some real lovin' to ... uh, well, love them. Def some massive Iron in that beast. Gotta love the case fan, too. :thumbsup:

as a matter of fact, I originally was only interested in the cab because after all, I am

Mr. I've-got-a-Mark V-there-is-simply-no-need-for-any-other-amp-ever.

But then I could not resist the charm of this old Boogie

The 525 is on its way to KY. You should have got Will.

Regardless, vintage boogies are the best value around. Some of this stuff is being given away for peanuts.

Even the amp that is the subject of this thread, was bought for less than a grand, cab included.

I mean... it's a lot more amp than some vintage champs going around for about the same price. I am not saying that Champs are bad, hear me out on this.

Even though I've already got a M/B Mark IV head as well as a TriAxis pre/50-50 power-amp rig I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the newly announced JP-2C model which is a three channel version of the famous Mark IIC+ with two on-board GEQ's as well as MIDI control.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/

Yes, very interesting.

We already know that there is going to be a 3200 pages thread on TGP with people complaining that it does not sound like an original 2C+ and in which most of the participant in the discussion never played either. I'd be surprised if the thread has not started already.

Yes, very interesting.

We already know that there is going to be a 3200 pages thread on TGP with people complaining that it does not sound like an original 2C+ and in which most of the participant in the discussion never played either. I'd be surprised if the thread has not started already.

:laughing7:

That speaker is a 417H Series II, the latest model of the 417 Altec made, also has the most power handling capacity, but still has a soft suspension and has some of the nicest cleans of any guitar speaker made. They can handle at least 100 watts, likely 150. One of the most honest guitar speakers made, delivers a relatively uncolored tone, with a very wide frequency range.

Do you know more or less when Altec stopped producing these?

Archived