Heritage Owners Club

one Boogie out, One Boogie in NAD

gpuma

I finally was able to spend few minutes with my new vintage Boogie.

Few impressions:

- Let's get the negative out of the way immediately; this things hums like there is no tomorrow. I knew these Mark IIB had this problem and there is some work that could be done to fix it, mainly by managing and consolidating the grounds, as well as repositioning the reverb tank.

- Now the positives:

1. The cleans: unreal, for lack of a better word. They are up there with anything else I tried before. They are somewhat different from the cleans I get from the Mark V (which I adore) but they still are rich and captivating.
  2. Suuuuuustaaaaaaain: this thing, not pushed and with a telecaster, sustains and sustains and sustains and......
  3. The settings: while the interaction between the master 1 knob and the lead master knob is not intuitive at all, it didn't really take a lot to figure it out and I was able to dial an impressively good clean tone within 20 seconds. Again, I don't get this reputation the Boogies have that they are hard to dial in. This is my 4th different model now.
  4. The driven tone was very very good. Mark 2b does not have the same amount of gain available as the collectible 2C+, however since I am not into really heavy metal, I can't imagine ever needing more gain that what this little guy puts out. Blues, rock, classic rock, hard rock, soul, funk and jazz, of course, this amp covers them all. If you want to play Heavy Metal, you might need few pedals or a C+.

sounds like a lot of amp. fun. enjoy.

are you going to do the hum fix?

It believe in a band setting might not be as annoying as it is at home. Still, I am going to bring the amp to the tech regardless since it is a 35 year old amp. So we will see what I decide

Gio, Boogie's "longest in the tooth" certified Midwest tech is in Niles. That'd be my recommendation. He's the guy who geeked out over my combo, and did a great job with it. I'll give you the details if interested.

Thank you Kip, I sent you a text

• 2 weeks later...

Archived