Heritage Owners Club

Fender Speaker Question

MrB

For the fans of Fender / Clone Amps...

(Lovers of the Marshal / British sound need not apply)

Has anyone compared the Eminence GA-SC64 speaker to a Jensen C12K?

The Jensen comes stock in several Fender Reissue amps, and many players have tried replacing it, but have eventually put it back in. A lot of the alternatives are just too bright / harsh and have weak bottom ends.

My ideal speaker would have a strong bass, moderate mids, clear & bright highs. An overall warm, clean sound, but not brittle on top.

Thanks,

Mr B

FWIW I have a Jensen Neo mag speaker in my Princeton reverb clone, and it sounds awesome IMO

I brought it to PSP one year, people playing thru it gave it very favorable reviews

even from the crowd: and it wasn't me playing!

"hey I LOVE the tone you're getting out of that amp...what are you playing through? "

FWIW I have a Jensen Neo mag speaker in my Princeton reverb clone, and it sounds awesome IMO

I brought it to PSP one year, people playing thru it gave it very favorable reviews

even from the crowd: and it wasn't me playing!

"hey I LOVE the tone you're getting out of that amp...what are you playing through? "

Was that the "Pig"?

I got advice from my "amp whisperer" Slider13 (Mike) that I should put a Eminence GA-SC64 in my vintage '67 Blackface Deluxe Reverb. I was trying to do exactly what you want to do; "overall warm, clean sound, but not brittle on top".

I have tried JBLs, Webers, Celestions, ect...... and the GA-SC64 is the best Fender speaker (for me) by a WIDE margin!!!!

Thanks bolero & Kuz,

I'll check out that Neo, but the GA may be the way to go.

BTW, it's for a 40 watt Allen Accomplice Jr. (a great amp!). I hope the 40 watt amp doesn't

overdrive the 40 watt speaker. I love the creamy compression of tubes being pushed just

over the speed limit, but don't enjoy the rattley sound of a speaker being pushed too far.

Thanks,

MrB

Here are a couple good sites for helping you pick a speaker:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

http://www.svvintageamps.com/speaker.php

Both the Weber and Tone Tubby sites have good info too.

These are my opinions:

Probably the first decision you need to make is magnet type -- alnico, ceramic or neodymium. Alnico -- think Clapton or Santana. Ceramic think Van Halen. Neo -- this is a newer technology whose main benefit is that it's a lot lighter. IMO it doesn't sound as good as alnico or ceramic, but it will make your amp lighter.

If you take in what the web sites above have to offer, and listen to the samples, you'll get somewhat of an idea.

I use tone tubby Chicago Blues (alnico) in my amp, and they sound great. I have also used Celestion V30s (ceramic) and they sounded good too, but not as smooth and warm as the Tone Tubbys, for the kind of stuff I play.

A lot has to do with the type of stuff you're playing and the sound you are looking for. And a lot has to do with the rest of your gear -- the speaker is just the last part in the chain. You may want to figure out what you favorite guitarists are using and give those a listen.

These are my opinions -- your mileage may vary.

Here are a couple good sites for helping you pick a speaker:

http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp

http://www.svvintageamps.com/speaker.php

Both the Weber and Tone Tubby sites have good info too.

These are my opinions:

Probably the first decision you need to make is magnet type -- alnico, ceramic or neodymium. Alnico -- think Clapton or Santana. Ceramic think Van Halen. Neo -- this is a newer technology whose main benefit is that it's a lot lighter. IMO it doesn't sound as good as alnico or ceramic, but it will make your amp lighter.

If you take in what the web sites above have to offer, and listen to the samples, you'll get somewhat of an idea.

I use tone tubby Chicago Blues (alnico) in my amp, and they sound great. I have also used Celestion V30s (ceramic) and they sounded good too, but not as smooth and warm as the Tone Tubbys, for the kind of stuff I play.

A lot has to do with the type of stuff you're playing and the sound you are looking for. And a lot has to do with the rest of your gear -- the speaker is just the last part in the chain. You may want to figure out what you favorite guitarists are using and give those a listen.

These are my opinions -- your mileage may vary.

+1

I went through a few speakers and also cabs trying to find the right sound for my Fender concert.

The amp came with an eminence and I tried a couple more eminence. I couldnt find what I wanted ut of any of the Jensens I tried and started getting happy with some celestions.

I settled on an odd one and still quite surprised its the one I liked the most. I dont think it was wildly popular in its day and has been discontinued.

Its a Celestion G12H100.

Marshall used them in 412's for a while and Yamaha used them in their DG series amps.

Great bottom end, not lacking at all, never ever gets flubby.

Mids seem to be right where I want them, warm, not overbearing or boxy, but never had to rely on volume to be heard because of lack of mids.

The highs are smooth but clearly present. I would say just right.

Its a very even, warm speaker right through the range.

It sounds great at jam/gig volume levels and at home it sounds, as good as its going to get playing at midnight family in bed levels.

There are some speakers I cant stand the sound of at home levels but really like at band volume.

It handles od wonderfully whether preamp or stomp generated or power amp generated.

Cleans are, beautiful :) I love the the clean sounds I can get. Right volume and its a shimmering three dimensional wonderland.

So yeah, I dig it. In my amp. Which might not be a similar sounding Fender to your Fender. Just mentioning the speaker because its in a fender

Are you looking for a speaker with certain break up characteristics or a speaker for clean at any volume?

Great info, thanks everyone!

I have much to listen to.

FYI, what i'm looking for is Clean. No speaker-induced distortion. I particularly need clarity in the

mids, so I can hear the individual notes in each chord. I'll listen to all your suggestions, I appreciate

your help.

Thanks,

Mr B

Great info, thanks everyone!

I have much to listen to.

FYI, what i'm looking for is Clean. No speaker-induced distortion. I particularly need clarity in the

mids, so I can hear the individual notes in each chord. I'll listen to all your suggestions, I appreciate

your help.

Thanks,

Mr B

Check out the EV12L.

Positives: 200 watts of unadulterated clean, transparent tone.

Negatives: 18.9 lbs.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=410

I had a pair of JBL 150F's in my old Twin Reverb.

Similar speaker (in sound and weight), but the amp ended up weighing in at over 100 lbs.

Sold, and downsized to a 32 lb amp.

I loved the sound I got, classic amp, beautiful sounding speakers, regret selling, but couldn't justify

the expense of a new amp without liquidating the old...

• 1 month later...

Archived