Heritage Owners Club

New Old Amp Day - JCM900

tulk1

How weird that there are two posts about this same model on the same day, 1 hour apart! Just brought home a Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb 4102. 2x12 100w High Gain blah blah!! Back in the '90s this was my gigging amp (this model, anyway). Sometime in the early 2K's I traded it off for a Mesa, which has been my amp manu of choice since then. Fast forward a few years, the drummer I was playing with in the early 2Ks called and asked me to help him check out an amp. Turns out it was a JCM 900 4102, just like I had when we were in a band together.

Now ... fast forward to a couple of months ago. I decided my banjo was too d@mned heavy for me, so I purchased a newer, lighter one. Told this old drummer he needed a banjo and loaned him the older one. This past weekend we finalized a deal where he kept the banjo and I gave him an additional $50 for the Marshall. We jammed with the power trio on NYE, and I brought it home. No clue why I'd even want it back. But, it's here now. I'll play it for a while and then decide it's too heavy, just like before, and just like the Mesa LS. But until then I have my Marshall JCM900 High Gain Dual Reverb 4102 back!! Yay!!!

JCM900.jpg

You can't see it, but it's sitting on a JCM 900 2x12 matching cab that I've had since I originally owned one of these. :)

Uh ... uh ... what? :dontknow:

Just took me back to a long and deep conversation with a Metal player.

He was explaining metal genres and styles of guitar playing in them, the best gear, amps, guitars, 7-8 string etc.

We set up through an amp with some Ibanez 8 string and he showed me some stuff, handed me the guitar and another staff member said "can you even Djent bro"

They all laughed. I did to because I didnt want to appear out of the loop. I think I covered my tracks alright. I dont think they were aware I didnt know what I was laughing at.

Googled it later, its a meme.

Apparently you can Djent through a JCM900.

There ya go :)

I thought maybe it was a cultural Ozmium a US'er wouldn't get. After googling it I see its a cultural age thing that I don't get. But I think my answer should now be ... aw, not really.

The JCM900 4500 series was by no means the best Marshall that the collectors and aficionados would desire, but for a working Joe, Amateur guitarist, my JCM900 4502 50Watt served me well. Especially when I run it thru a 4x12 when I feel like lugging one of those around.

I bought mine brand new in 1994 from the Great Great House of Guitars, Rochester, NY....

Other than dead spots on pots, scratchy pots, the channel switch doesnt work (Stuck on the OD channel) and the reverb doesnt work (same circuit) She's been great. (but not my only amp :-0))

If you need parts, this site has a good selection of specific JCM900 and other amp parts:

http://www.amprepairparts.com/marshalljcm900.htm

This is the front panel channel switch. To be original, it should have a red LED and off Clear. That part number has a 10 week lead time and minimum 1000 item purchase, same as Digi-Key and some other suppliers. So I opted for the Blue Green LED variant.

In Stock $4.06 plus shipping.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E-Switch/WBL2UEEGBQR05CLR/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduj6AigPDqRX3OFJ64gqq5zaQ%2fOlC0RKUewIlcCxRmA7AEIyRKYma7AO

It is nice to know you can still get parts !

Good luck with yours.

The JCM900 4500 series was by no means the best Marshall that the collectors and aficionados would desire,

And they are wrong! I've played a few Marshall amps thru the years. The JCM900 is, IMO, the last of the true Marshalls. Agreed that it didn't get the love it deserves. But any time spent playing one will prove it's every bit a Marshall amp. I even like it better than my Jubilee.

If you don't have enough photos in this thread, I've got plenty. hahaha

Heavy freekin banjo... check.

Signature model guitar from a guy in a famous Djent band... check.

JCM900 Model 4101... check.

Mesa amp... check.

Drummer and Metal dude who owns amps and guitars.. with a sore back.... check.

Last night I was going through and getting rid of files on the computer and I found one called "shop noises", the first noises were a jcm900 212 through a 1936 competing with an orange tt on the other side of the store. Its a chaos moment. A beautiful memory. :)

I had one of those, they are incredibly loud and a great rock amp. Sadly, I was silly enough to sell it and buy a red knob instead... but there you go, we have one of those moments at some point in our lives !!

SCORE!!! This amp has Tesla EL34s!!! Wowzers. It also has some weird to me ECC83Ms for pre's. Anyone recognize these? Bad pic. Maybe I should take better ones? :dontknow:

tesla.jpg

ecc1.jpg

ecc2.jpg

ecc3.jpg

But this looks SO sweet.

tubes.jpg

Archived