Heritage Owners Club

New Amp Day: PRS ARCHON 50

HANGAR18

A local shop owner here is just as much into bartering as I am. I've been into bartering as long as I can remember. This time however was the first time I made an actual deal for something using real gold and real silver. Yes, coins, made of the actual stuff people have called "money" for thousands of years.

So my offer of gold and silver was accepted and I brought home a brand new, already broke in floor model Archon 50 amp head. I don't have a good picture yet because now i have more heads than what I can stack on top of the two 2x12 cabinets that I have. I need to switch over to using an amp rack on one side and then stack the two cabinets on top of each other.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's web site with lots of photos:
https://prsguitars.com/amplifier/archon_50w_head_2023

This is not the original USA made Archon. This is the newer, revised generation which is now made in Indonesia using slightly smaller tubes, and 50 watts is the maximum wattage. They don't make the 100w versions anymore. I did once own a 100w Archon but that was before that whole... thing... a couple of years ago when I had to sell all my half-stacks to buy food, so this one is replacing that.

There have been only two amps where I fell like I could dial in my own personal "signature tone" and the PRS Archon was one of them. (The other was a Carvin V3) I still think of the Archon as being PRS Guitars's Flagship Amp, but you will find no shortage of people who will disagree with me on that.

Where do the pro's buy those amp racks they use for touring? I need one of those.

Congrats on the Archon !

Their real current flagship is the last of the Custom Amp Dept's  models , the DG30 .  Still completely hand wired and each component vetted .  Pricey , but well worth every delicious note. Per Amp Guru Doug Sewell ( who designed their amps) it is the most complex he's built. 

Archived