Heritage Owners Club

Vista Music buys Manny's Music

Expect more of this. Meng is young, ambitious and has one big bank roll.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skydog52 said:

Expect more of this. Meng is young, ambitious and has one big bank roll.

And with that in mind, it seems that he knows what he's doing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PunkKitty said:

Funny, I viewed it quite opposite was questioning this decision, big time. 

Granted I have not completely read the article in full, but to buy a brick & mortar store that has been closed since 2009 in this "amazon on-line, get it tomorrow" world seems very risky.

2 hours ago, PunkKitty said:

Everything he has touched has grown.

I was just reading this and was going to post.    I think it says a lot about Meng's love of the music business.    Heritage,  Harmony,  Bandlab/Cakewalk,  Teisco,  NME,  Guitar.com, ReverbNation,   now Manny's.    Everything is music related.

There are still brick and mortar stores out there that are doing well.    Manny's was an icon in the business, but the building isn't part of this.   It was demolished some years back and a hotel was built there.    I'm guessing he's looking at building a retail "brand".   He already has Dawsons in the UK and Swee Lee in Asia.   This gives him a "name brand" in the US.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Kuz said:

Funny, I viewed it quite opposite was questioning this decision, big time.

The article didn't say that he bought the brick and mortar store. He bought the brand.

"Vista Musical Instruments has confirmed it acquired all associated trademarks of legendary Manhattan music store Manny’s from Sam Ash Music Corporation in January 2024"

Edited by PunkKitty

Posted (edited)

Manny's is famous, legendary. Look at all the free advertising. Everyone bought stuff there & it's been documented in all the stories. People eat that stuff up. Established brand.

Smart move.

Edited by bolero
store eez

10 hours ago, bolero said:

Manny's is famous, legendary. Look at all the free advertising. Everyone bought stuff there & it's been documented in all the stories. People eat that stuff up. Established brand.

Smart move.

And seeing as it was purchased from the dying Sam Ash, I’m sure he got it for cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Business first, of course I get it, but how do hold onto and grow the essence of what makes Heritage special?  I hope they have a business strategy for that. Would hate to loose it and it becomes just fades into another brand.

BTW, did anybody else see that Rudy's Music in Soho, NY  may have lost quite a few guitars when the roof of the building caught fire?    No fire damage in Rudy's but the water was cascading down the walls.  

The Soho shop has been closed for several days.

The initial report was "hundreds of thousands of dollars" of damage, but I haven't heard how much was actually damaged.   I remember that a lot of guitars were repaired after the Nashville flood in 2010.    The amount of damage will probably depend on how long the guitars were wet.