Heritage Owners Club

What is your all-time favorite Heritage guitar or model?

Good call on the Centurian, lol

I hear Christopher Lambert in "Highlander" saying "there can only be one". Or was it Sean Connery?

An American Eagle would be nice, too

Here's an American Eagle newly for sale.  Mike Hale (BigMike from the forum) sold his entire guitar and amp collection due to health issues.  This American Eagle once was mine.

https://reverb.com/item/82963327-heritage-american-eagle-19-1994-natural

Many years ago someone who made his first post on HOC was selling this.  It seemed like the listing was written by someone who didn't understand electric guitars.  I contacted him, and he told me the guitar belonged to his recently deceased father.  The seller plays flattops and was in his early 20s.  He didn't know much about the AE.  He lived in NYC.

Patrick was a HOC member who had strong opinions about a lot of things and was the Heritage sales rep for part of NY and NJ.  He hated the design of the AE.  However he was willing to check the guitar out for me.  He met the kid in a restaurant and shared a meal.  He then thoroughly check out the guitar, including testing the truss rod function and examining the bracing.  He called me from the restuarant to tell me the guitar desperately needs cleaning but is otherwise like new.  I told him to pay the guy the money I sent Patrick.  It was a deal.

Patrick delivered it to me a couple weeks later in one of his routine trips to the Heritage factory.  But in the meantime we talked on the phone.  The wood easily cleaned up and the setup was perfect.  But the gold needed more work.  After about a week that was done.  By the next week he told me he had the guitar out on a stand in his office all this time and now he gets why the Heritage boys made this design.  He actually liked it.  He loved the quilted maple.

I had it for about five years or so and traded it to RhoadsScholar.  Eventually it got to BigMike.

Now Patrick is dead (sudden death in his sleep) and Rhoads likewise is (COVID).

BigMike loved the AE and encourage me to get one that was listed on eBay, which I did.

Benedetto wrote a book on the archtop years ago.  It is a masterwork.  In it he described the AE as a truly great archtop and described it.  This was the only Heritage to make his book. 

I had occasion to talk with Marv Lamb, Aaron Cowles, Maudie Moore and JP Moats about the model.  There are two things that stood out.  First, it took more time to build one of these to make a decent wage off of.  And I'm talking about hours spent, not just materials.  The bracing and the plate tuning was the best they could do.  They used the best wood they could find and would save it for the next build.  The second thing was that the Heritage team was serious about the model.  They decided to make it when the shuttle exploded and America was demoralized.  Earlier we had the Iranian hostage crisis then we had the huge recession.  Yes, it is kitschy to most.  Maudy told me that the guitar needed something on the pickguard.  Marv wanted the Challenger shuttle, and Maudie made it happen.  The Liberty Bell was made in Germany and cost Heritage $500 each.  The case is a vault, is heavy, and is red, white and blue.

I had the AE that is now listed hanging on my wall in front of my desk for a few years.  Soon I was brainwashed and appreciated the style.  It is 100% old school Gibson/Heritage.  It was certainly not a great marketing idea, but at the beginning they planned on only 25 guitars anyway.  This is Heritage's Citation.  The only one I've seen that had this much work put into it is the Centurian.  The one for sale is 19.  Mine is 15.  Check out the listing.  Below is my guitar.

51154239662_938189f35c_c.jpg

51156014320_639de63d63_c.jpg

51155140798_c32df7d6dc_c.jpg

51154908156_732dea81ff_c (1).jpg

51156014255_4652fee917_c (1).jpg

53606923510_c7fe8748a7_c (1).jpg

53605583107_dd85783444_c (1).jpg

51155693694_6c861eafb7_c (1).jpg

53605583077_c8eb38631f_c.jpg

• Like 5

A very special Heritage and a good story to go with it Mark!   

This thread inspired me (thanks Tim @Gitfiddler) to get my Super KB and plug it into my new MB California Tweed 4:40.  They are a wonderful match.  I hereby move the Super KB back to the top of my all time favorite Heritage list. Special thanks to Mark @MartyGrass) for selling it to me!  Probably the one i will keep until the end.  

Edited by tsp17
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tsp17 said:

A very special Heritage and a good story to go with it Mark!   

This thread inspired me (thanks Tim @Gitfiddler) to get my Super KB and plug it into my new MB California Tweed 4:40.  They are a wonderful match.  I hereby move the Super KB back to the top of my all time favorite Heritage list. Special thanks to Mark @MartyGrass) for selling it to me!  Probably the one i will keep until the end.  

image.jpeg.50a9e0cc5c42faeadd106ac5d026087a.jpeg

• Like 5

Beautiful guitars!

I'm too broke to be buying any Eagles these days. I'll admire them from afar though!

I did get to hold one for a PSP photo once. Spectacular build.

I see I'm not the only one... 535. Just love the craftsman ship that's needed to build these. The size is and tone of course have a huge impact too. Mine is 8 lbs. so it fits me great and with the bit of a chunkier neck it feels nice to fret too. 

• Like 1

It's difficult to specify a favorite because there are so many elements to consider.

For workmanship, it's the American Eagle.  There was an extraordinary amount of hours put in to create one, and they used the finest materials.  The acoustic and amplified sound is as good as it gets from the 17" custom carved archtop by Heritage.

For elegance in a standard sized full archtop, it's the Johnny Smith.  Golden Eagles are damned close.

For big sound, the Super Kenny Burrell or Super Eagle.

For great sound in a more comfortable archtop format, it's the Sweet 16.

For the all around archtop workhorse, it's the H-575.

For comfort with a great electric sound, it's the Millie.  I like the Millie Eagle 2000.

For great electric sound then comfort, it's the Roy Clark.  This model has all the good of a 555 with more top territory to show off the wood.

For a best buy it's the H-150.  The H-137 is another if you want P-90s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

It's difficult to specify a favorite because there are so many elements to consider.

For workmanship, it's the American Eagle.  There was an extraordinary amount of hours put in to create one, and they used the finest materials.  The acoustic and amplified sound is as good as it gets from the 17" custom carved archtop by Heritage.

For elegance in a standard sized full archtop, it's the Johnny Smith.  Golden Eagles are damned close.

For big sound, the Super Kenny Burrell or Super Eagle.

For great sound in a more comfortable archtop format, it's the Sweet 16.

For the all around archtop workhorse, it's the H-575.

For comfort with a great electric sound, it's the Millie.  I like the Millie Eagle 2000.

For great electric sound then comfort, it's the Roy Clark.  This model has all the good of a 555 with more top territory to show off the wood.

For a best buy it's the H-150.  The H-137 is another if you want P-90s.

This is a good assessment. There is a reason for the name Sweet 16, loved everyone I've played.

I would add the H-525 and H-530 in the comfortable and really versatile category. P-90 love.

• Like 2

I've always been very fond of the H140, ever since I played one when they first came out in the 1980's. I remember picking it and going, "whoa, now that's COOL".  I've never owned one, but man, I've played a few and always really liked them. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 2:33 PM, Gitfiddler said:

OK, just for fun, please tell us what your 'all-time favorite' Heritage guitar or model.  What is the reason for your selection?

Over the years I've been blown away by the quality and variety of Heritage guitars that have come out of Kalamazoo.  I love their archtops, semi-hollows and solid body guitars. 

And add in those amazing Heritage limited edition, custom one-offs, custom core models, etc., that makes picking only one is tough!

Coming up with my favorite is almost as difficult as picking my favorite child.

That said, I'll start off by telling ya'll my 'all-time favorite Heritage...

It's the now out of production Heritage H-525.

Why?  This full hollow body gitfiddle can do rock, RnB, country chicken-pickin', and jazz without breaking a sweat...or a string!  And I think they are a beautiful, timeless design!  🙂

Now it's YOUR turn!

1.  What your 'all-time favorite' Heritage guitar or model. 

2.  What is the reason for your selection? 

H-535. The design. I enjoy the craftsmanship of the semi hollow and and feel of the bigger narrow body. Just fits.

• Like 1