Heritage Owners Club

Incoming Johnny Smith

I don't have much to say about this.  A friend of mine bought another Heritage Johnny Smith, one that was Jay Wolfe's personal one I got years ago but traded to BigMike.  As many may know, BigMike sold his 70 guitars to a music store in Chicago.  Two Heritage JSs were part of the collection.  My friend drove there and bought one but told me the other one sounded and played equally well but didn't have a rose on the pickguard.

I called the store in Chicago and asked about the remaining HJS.  I was able to make a purchase.

Most of BigMike's instruments are not yet posted on Reverb.  If you can buy an instrument now, you can save all the Reverb fees and negotiate a price.  The trick is to know what they have that they haven't listed.  I don't know what they are except a bunch of Gibsons.

Here's the HJS hanging on the wall.  It has a Heritage pickguard with Schatten volume and tone controls and a Kent Armstrong pickup.  As best I can tell, that's how Heritage made it.  We'll see.

HJS.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I recall chatting with Big Mike about this Johnny Smith years ago.  As usual he was very excited to own it, describing how beautiful it was, etc.

He also mentioned he was planning on having Shatten vol/tone controls added.

I'm glad Mike was able to do a mass, no hassle sale of his large collection. 

As Marty suggested, if interested, contact the music store that has his guitars. 

6 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

I don't have much to say about this.  A friend of mine bought another Heritage Johnny Smith, one that was Jay Wolfe's personal one I got years ago but traded to BigMike.  As many may know, BigMike sold his 70 guitars to a music store in Chicago.  Two Heritage JSs were part of the collection.  My friend drove there and bought one but told me the other one sounded and played equally well but didn't have a rose on the pickguard.

I called the store in Chicago and asked about the remaining HJS.  I was able to make a purchase.

Most of BigMike's instruments are not yet posted on Reverb.  If you can buy an instrument now, you can save all the Reverb fees and negotiate a price.  The trick is to know what they have that they haven't listed.  I don't know what they are except a bunch of Gibsons.

Here's the HJS hanging on the wall.  It has a Heritage pickguard with Schatten volume and tone controls and a Kent Armstrong pickup.  As best I can tell, that's how Heritage made it.  We'll see.

HJS.jpeg

What store is this you speak of?

Arrived in good shape.  All is well.  A 1991 at 5# 8 oz.  The Kent Armstrong pickup seems hotter and fuller than the more acoustic sounding Floating #3.

Nothing to not like.

53808044902_c7b0d198c1_c.jpg

53808045097_0be49d1b3d_c.jpg

53808045082_c8dc046d32_c.jpg

53808044937_c295d78e62_c.jpg

53808044932_f16cec8412_c.jpg

53809411685_42705abb42_c.jpg

53808044577_7ecaa65d03_c.jpg

53809214238_bac5ca1428_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 6/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, MartyGrass said:

HJS.jpeg

Any left handed version in the bunch? Love the Maple pickguard.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on scoring a Heritage Johnny Smith! It sounds like you got lucky finding another one from BigMike's collection at the Chicago store before they listed it on Reverb. The fact that it has aftermarket pickups and controls (Schatten/Kent Armstrong) is interesting – it may not be entirely original, but that could also affect the price you paid and the overall sound. Still a great find!

The guitar was ordered as a custom from Mandolin Brothers.  It has two pickguards.  One has the Floating #3 and the other has a Kent Armstrong.

This is the fourth Heritage JS I own now.  All are very different.

One is rose natural 18" x 3", one is natural 18" x 3.25", and one is green 17" x 3".  The bracing is the same.

One has a KA rebuilt pickup, one has a 12 pole KA, two have the Floating #3.

52254290025_cdc72d5f63_c.jpg

53663131683_8f269853ab_c.jpg

51554311835_fd67ab3d87_c.jpg

• Like 4

Did Mike sell his collection to Chicago music exchange? I know they do buy large collections.

Your friend's acquisition of Jay Wolfe's personal Heritage Johnny Smith, originally traded to BigMike and now part of a Chicago music store's collection, led to your purchase of another from the same batch. Buying before listings on platforms like Reverb can save on fees and allow for negotiation. The one you acquired features a Heritage pickguard, Schatten controls, and a Kent Armstrong pickup, showcasing its unique history and craftsmanship.