Heritage Owners Club

HB-1 Resurrected

Bought from Chicago GC, neck had been cracked, poorly repaired and sadly unsaveable. Here are the results of the new custom made neck. Thank you Gene Liberty of Sheridan IL!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image000000.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Too bad you can't get the Heritage logo on the new neck! Cool bass and a cooler neck.

That turned out great. Enjoy! It's all about the Bass.

That's awesome!

I'd think there would be a way to get a "The Heritage" sticker made somewhere if no one has any extras from that one PSP years ago. I've ordered custom decals on Amazon for various things.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

That's awesome!

I'd think there would be a way to get a "The Heritage" sticker made somewhere if no one has any extras from that one PSP years ago. I've ordered custom decals on Amazon for various things.

I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't copying a currently registered trademark be illegal? 

"The Heritage" appears to still be an active trademark.  https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/search/search-results

Interestingly the stacked script font version of "The Heritage" with "The" being on top of "Heritage" looks like it is dead, and possibly available.  It would also match the stacked "The Heritage" on the HB-1 headstock.  

image.png.3d1f01833bbf6b5fc006cb7ddd552508.png

Another possible workaround would be to have a decal made that simply says "Heritage".  That trademarked name appears to be "dead".  Even the script font of the dead "Heritage" trademark should be permissible under the circumstances.

Check with a real lawyer if any of this looks viable for your project.

Good luck!

image.png

Edited by Gitfiddler

Thanks for all the input, I am looking into making a sticker, I got a line on someone who may be able to cut it out of vinyl maybe.

The neck was built from scratch, I mean blocks of wood by Gene Liberty (www.guitarfix.com) Here is what it looked like when I got it.

image.png.de83e46b47d4e388f049a959f8b4d70d.png

• Like 2

Rough news about the original neck on your guitar! It sounds like the previous repair wasn't up to snuff and a replacement was necessary. That's where Gene Liberty comes in - big thanks to them for crafting a beautiful custom neck for your instrument! This should ensure your guitar is not only structurally sound but also plays great. Looking forward to seeing pics of the completed project!

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 11:19 PM, Gitfiddler said:

I'm no lawyer, but wouldn't copying a currently registered trademark be illegal? 

"The Heritage" appears to still be an active trademark.  https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/search/search-results

Interestingly the stacked script font version of "The Heritage" with "The" being on top of "Heritage" looks like it is dead, and possibly available.  It would also match the stacked "The Heritage" on the HB-1 headstock.  

image.png.3d1f01833bbf6b5fc006cb7ddd552508.png

Another possible workaround would be to have a decal made that simply says "Heritage".  That trademarked name appears to be "dead".  Even the script font of the dead "Heritage" trademark should be permissible under the circumstances.

Check with a real lawyer if any of this looks viable for your project.

Good luck!

image.png

Nope. Only if you were to build the entire guitar and then try and resell the item and present it as an actual Heritage guitar, THEN you are in trouble. In this case, it is an actual Heritage guitar but a replacement part was manufactured to fix the actual guitar. But then again, it would be dicey to resell this one with a Heritage sticker on it because the original serial number appeared on the neck and not the headstock. So what I would do would be to put the Heritage sticker on the headstock but then stamp the original serial number on the back and then add a message like "reproduction neck by name of company" or "remanufactured neck" or something like that.

Edited by HANGAR18

Does anybody know how many of the HB-1 basses were made? 

This one is E09507. Bass number 7?

Seems like they made more of the HB-2, but that production was pretty limited too.

I know a guy with an AD date coded HB-2, I think that was the last year anybody got one. 

6 hours ago, drkhrse said:

Does anybody know how many of the HB-1 basses were made? 

This one is E09507. Bass number 7?

Seems like they made more of the HB-2, but that production was pretty limited too.

I know a guy with an AD date coded HB-2, I think that was the last year anybody got one. 

I've got a recently adopted E31909 HB-2.

Sounds like you would be screwed if you tried selling it with the Heritage sticker. Tell you what.....I'll take it off your hands AS IS and won't tell a soul about it.

Do you still have the second one Skydog? Ive seen that ghost ad for the orange one before. My buddy's is Wine burst. Here it is.

I've seen your bass before also Hanger, black one right?

Can't get him to sell it to me though hahaha.

image.thumb.jpeg.91a5270039a77a02604615d92ca0a705.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.6c5813da6f3dbcba4176568d6549f5e7.jpeg

That looks familiar. No, I sold them both.

image.png.3b4ed2871416740251754ab181ac6a2c.png