Heritage Owners Club

Incoming KBP creation!

Last year I foolishly traded away a Marshall DSL20C for an old Fender Blues Deluxe.  Amp was worn physically on its old tweed coverings.  Sounded fine when I played it and after a couple gigs.  

I made a mistake of taking it to a local shop for a broken input jack replacement and was convinced to have it fully serviced.  Reflow some soldering points, new caps, tubes, etc.

2 gigs later amp dies, no sound.  Multiple rounds with the tech and nothing was fixed. In fact, the amp was worse. Almost had it repaired by another person when a chance conversation brought up options with this amp with the man himself, Mr. KBP810.  

While he is no longer a resident of the 810 nor is he still building amazing amps, he decided to take a stab at the amp, found some rather questionable problems with the amp.

Asked what’s easier, fix it or use it as a shell and build anew.

Choice was to build.  Free rein on the design, he chose a Princeton Reverb circuit beefed up to a 40 watt-ish power rating.  To add to the fun he also lacquered the cabinet too.  

He finished it up, need to figure out the logistics to pick it up…

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg

Edited by DetroitBlues

It was a hot mess inside; some toasted components and lots of scorched traces. Some of the previously repaired traces popped right off the board with little to no pressure. On some components, the solder pad was detached and floating freely, barely making contact with the original trace (could push on the component from the other side and see the pad move freely up/down), and likely intermittently detaching from vibrations during play. No telling how many intermittent and/or future issues were laying in wait. 

I could see what the repair shop was going for, and this is always a risky and delicate task; but in this case the benefits of preventative maintenance did not really outweigh the risk. 

These are just some of the damaged areas - 
BD.jpg.e0d29cda7738372f53594778ff3575f4.jpg

bd2.jpg.c96f34b53ed5e31bc7f2487844c95daa.jpg

• Like 2

Wow!

So their version of "reflow solder" looks a little extreme? Or do you think those were probs that developed with use?

F***ing A on the circuit choice though!! A beefed up Princeton Reverb is one of my fave amps! The infamous Vibro Pig: a PR circuit with a 12" speaker, 2x 6L6 power tubes.

I think you'll be very happy with that amp!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bolero said:

Wow!

So their version of "reflow solder" looks a little extreme? Or do you think those were probs that developed with use?

There are common known issues on these amps with certain excessive heat generating components being mounted too closely to the main board (especially the two grid leak resistors; and this board did look toasty in that area); but for the most part here, I believe the issue was having the soldering iron too hot and/or holding too long in one spot, while replacing the caps and reflowing solder joints. Ultimately damaging the traces and solder pads, and then chasing their tales trying to repair them.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally had some time to meet up with KBP today and took delivery of this outstanding amp.

Brian completely gutted this amp and made it into something special.  Circuit design is based upon a Fender Princeton Reverb however at a very loud yet remarkably clean 40 watts.  He amber lacquered the old worn tweed covering and upgraded the speaker to a Warehouse WGSGT12C/S. 

For an added touch, it also has a custom control plate, effectively renaming the amp,”Detroit Blues Deluxe”

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg

On 9/10/2024 at 12:32 AM, rockabilly69 said:

Sounds pretty good DB

Unfortunately, I don't have the recording skills you have plus my playing seems rushed.  Don't know why when I'm with a band, its fine, but when I'm just playing without a track, its a hot mess.

12 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Unfortunately, I don't have the recording skills you have plus my playing seems rushed.  Don't know why when I'm with a band, its fine, but when I'm just playing without a track, its a hot mess.

Didn’t sound rushed to me