Heritage Owners Club

too many wah's?

I think my wah pedals are breeding.....anyone else have too many wah pedals?

I think when the pots start getting noisy I end up buying another....and then those pots get noisy....and they told two friends.....and they told two friends....and pretty soon there's wah pedals everywhere!

• Upvote 1

Back in the 60's and 70's when I was most active they would last a couple of months.  If I had some basic electronic skills and quality replacement pots were able to be sourced, there would be fewer cry babies.

• Like 1

Yes.  I have one main pedal board and actually have a full second board.  Plus I have more pedals that don’t have a home on a board.

I’ve been considering converting to a digital processor to free up the boards.  Haven’t got there yet.  Can’t find exactly what I’m looking for yet.  

For the most part, I still use all tube amps. My Quad Cortex is starting to appear in smaller gigs though. I will say that all of my FX are now digital with the QC andLine 6 Helix Rack accounting for all of my FX. That being said, I have not had to deal with buying a wah pedal in years as both Line 6 and QC have rather incredible wah models, my favorite being the QC's version of the Bad Horsie. I use the Mission Engineering FX pedals to trigger the wah. I think all in all there are about 12 different wah models between Line 6 and the QC, I do not miss the complicated pedalboards at all.

• Upvote 1

I have 2 wah wah pedals.  My favorite is a Crybaby Wah/Volume pedal.  Very effective, especially for live playing. 

My second wah is an original late 60's Crybaby.  It's in great shape, but more of a legacy piece that reminds me of what I used waaay back in the day.

I think I have:

Crybaby

Vox

Budda

Fulltone clyde deluxe

Crybaby #2

Jimi Hendrix

I have a Morely optical volume pedal, never seen their wah. I did recently discover the name "Morely" was a pun on the name "Leslie" when they changed over from being "Tel-Ray", which is pretty funny.

I had an original Vox wah back in the early 70s which somehow disappeared after a gig.   I bought a CryBaby, which was essentially the same at the time.   It's also disappeared over the years.  

About 20 years ago,  I got a Vox 847 and it's still on my pedalboard.    

I've had more chorus type pedals than wahs.    I wish I could find a really good Leslie simulator.   I've the a Lester,  MiniDeja Vibe2,  H2O chorus,  and played with a few others.   The Lester was a disappointment.    I've listened to a few others, and they just don't sound like the real thing to me.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TalismanRich said:

I've listened to a few others, and they just don't sound like the real thing to me.  

I'll never forget (I have phone video) the first time I played the Real Thing in a studio, while working on my benefit project three years ago!  My god it was loud (with a gobo between me and the Leslie, it was still bowel liquifying)!!  And the sound was glorious !! I felt what it must be like to play in the viola section of a symphony orchestra.   

• Like 2