Heritage Owners Club

Dr. Z EZG-50? Suhr Bella?

Considering head version of these - Anyone had experience with one or both?   

Always in search of a great clean portable 6L6 tone….not too bright, not too dark, ….tight low end…

Posted (edited)

@Jaguarguy thanks for the videos. These give a better sense of it that the ones i found.  

I got a 20th anniversary version i found on eBay.  The seller is in Asheville, so who knows when he’ll be able to ship, but i wanted to support musicians so i sent him the money.  Hopefully a little cash infusion will help.  He said that “most” of his family and friends are ok and accounted for.  Sheesh.  Scary stuff.    He said the nearest functional UPS is an hour away.  Roads flooded…geez.  Tough going for those folks.  I told him not to ship until safe to go.

P.S. the Z-verb is 6v6.  This one is 6L6.   Looking forward to getting it (someday)

Edited by tsp17
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@Jaguarguydid you special order that red tolex and wood front panel or did they offer it that way as an option?  Very cool vibe.

also- correcting my prior post- my purchase was on Reverb.  Not eBay. 

Edited by tsp17

On 10/7/2024 at 4:51 PM, tsp17 said:

@Jaguarguydid you special order that red tolex and wood front panel or did they offer it that way as an option?  Very cool vibe.

also- correcting my prior post- my purchase was on Reverb.  Not eBay. 

Red was one of the color options when the EZG 50 was originally released.  The wood front was made by Harvey Reams.  https://www.facebook.com/harveyreamswoodworking/

3 hours ago, bolero said:

Do you get high from the tolex on that ex-Joe Walsh amp, once it warms up?

:D

Joe Walsh is the man....Joe Walsh for president!

No but I do smile a lot! 😁

I also have Joe Walsh's Super Z - its serial number is "Joe Walsh"! 

DSC03200_zpsc86ba6c2.JPG

DSC03201_zps0e7afc46-2.JPG

DSC03204_zpsca344f3c.JPG

Edited by Jaguarguy
Add images
  • Like 3

Dr. Z EZG-50 is now in the house. This thing is a beast.  Big muscular sound.  Can barely turn up to  11:00 volume even with the ‘pre’ at 9-10:00. Geez.  50 watts but feels like more.  Love the 6L6 feel.  

reverb was a little noisy/hum.  Changed the tube.  Much better.

Edited by tsp17
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2024 at 11:06 AM, Jaguarguy said:

Even though the EZG is 50 watts, they are Dr. Z watts! 

On 10/14/2024 at 10:44 AM, bolero said:

Congrats!

Thx.  it is a lot of AMP.  maybe too much for my needs, but I’ll play around with it for a while and see if I can dial it in.   I didn’t believe the hype about Z WATTS.  It is a beast.  I get it now.  

I’m playing small/med places.  Keeping the “pre” low seems to work best for me.  Feedback an issue with hollow and semi which is what i play.  I’ll keep tweaking….

I bet cranked it is close to as loud as a Twin Reverb or Dual Showman.  Scary.   

47 minutes ago, tsp17 said:

Thx.  it is a lot of AMP.  maybe too much for my needs, but I’ll play around with it for a while and see if I can dial it in.   I didn’t believe the hype about Z WATTS.  It is a beast.  I get it now.  

I’m playing small/med places.  Keeping the “pre” low seems to work best for me.  Feedback an issue with hollow and semi which is what i play.  I’ll keep tweaking….

I bet cranked it is close to as loud as a Twin Reverb or Dual Showman.  Scary.   

Ahh, feedback!  That's why solid and semi-hollow body gits were created.  You might need to invest in a 535 for playing out with that Z rig.  🙂