Heritage Owners Club

Inlays... what to do...

barrymclark

I am both camps here.

Dots with a great piece of wood, don't detract your eye from the gorgeous wood. (Example 1)

Ex 1 (please click on pic to enlarge)

th_Photo2_458c0-Original.jpg

Then again, I loved the 555 inlays but wanted them of the 535 wood scheme (Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard), so I had it done even though the guitar had the upgraded wood package as well. (Example 2)

Ex 2

th__DSC1911-Edit2.jpg

So bottom line, I think the color, wood, and just what you like will make the inlays work for you. Go for it!

I think I would like the small dots that are offset like my electric upright.  For instance, the dot at the 3 might be near the top edge of the fretboard between strings 5 and 6, the one at the five might be a little further from that edge between strings 4 and 5, the one at the 7 would be between 3 and 4, the one at the 9 would be between 2 and 3. Finally, the double dot at the twelve would be parallel to the string between 1 and 2. I think that would look really sick.

Maybe transparent black for the finish where you can JUST see the mahogany wood grain. How gross would that be?

k. Think I know where I am going here.

H137DC Mahogany.

Triple SoapBar Lollar P90's. (Just because I can)

Bound neck

Dot inlays (small and offset)

Transparent black finish

Nickel hardware

Possibly some small inlay in the headstock like the 157.

I never thought dots were any kind of ornamentation at all, they're helpful as markers. I LOVE blocks and crowns. To get a bound ebony freboard with MOP crowns on my H-137 was nearly a $300 upgrade, but I'd do it again tomorrow. It's SO much more hip looking, and feels like butter ! !

If I felt more confident about Heritage's current quality control I'd order a lefty H-550 or H-575 with them.

twins2.JPG

twins2.JPG_thumb

I never thought dots were any kind of ornamentation at all, they're helpful as markers. I LOVE blocks and crowns. To get a bound ebony freboard with MOP crowns on my H-137 was nearly a $300 upgrade, but I'd do it again tomorrow. It's SO much more hip looking, and feels like butter ! !

If I felt more confident about Heritage's current quality control I'd order a lefty H-550 or H-575 with them.

Why aren't you confident. If they mess up they will make it right no questions asked.

That is why I'd rather not deal with Gibson. If I absolutely must, I'd rather get an Epiphone Custom Les Paul/SG so I don't spend as much with a company that I think really doesn't care about their instruments so long as the money rolls in.

Why aren't you confident. If they mess up they will make it right no questions asked.

Because after waiting nine months for a guitar it's a pain in the ass to deal with it. The last custom order I did had some little things wrong, not worth the hassle of shipping it back to them via the dealer and then waiting for months again; the worst was a pretty good sized dent, pre-finish, that they didn't catch. The bridge pickup wasn't really lined up with the strings properly, and is slightly crooked. For some reason the bridge was set real high, then the screws were turned out on the pickup to reach the strings, then the Plek'd it, so it plays well but the setup can't be corrected. They did offer to do it over, but I decided it wasn't worth it.

If I'm going to spend a lot of money and wait a long time I want it right the first time.

Archived