Heritage Owners Club

Ghost notes

tulk1

With the wife gone for the weekend I took over the living room to work on the pedal board, amp settings, etc. Noticed the Super had a buzz going on whenever I fretted an E on the D string above the 12th fret. Really made the amp and speaker buzz and vibrate. Taking the back panels off I noticed the speaker nuts weren't exactly tight. Just tightened them with a light touch on the ratchet until it stopped. Took care of the buzz. Actually changed the dynamics of the cab just a bit, too. Seems to be a tighter sound.

But .... there's always a "but". Playing on up the fret board on the high E, I get ghost notes from about the 14th/15th fret on up. Notes seem to be an octave lower than what I'm playing. Does it with both the Propsect and the ASAT Z3; with/without OD/ with/without Clean Boost. Basically --- it does it. Any ideas on this? Thought at first it might be cone cry(?). But isn't that more of a whine-ish, none musical artifact?

With the wife gone for the weekend I took over the living room to work on the pedal board, amp settings, etc. Noticed the Super had a buzz going on whenever I fretted an E on the D string above the 12th fret. Really made the amp and speaker buzz and vibrate. Taking the back panels off I noticed the speaker nuts weren't exactly tight. Just tightened them with a light touch on the ratchet until it stopped. Took care of the buzz. Actually changed the dynamics of the cab just a bit, too. Seems to be a tighter sound.

But .... there's always a "but". Playing on up the fret board on the high E, I get ghost notes from about the 14th/15th fret on up. Notes seem to be an octave lower than what I'm playing. Does it with both the Propsect and the ASAT Z3; with/without OD/ with/without Clean Boost. Basically --- it does it. Any ideas on this? Thought at first it might be cone cry(?). But isn't that more of a whine-ish, none musical artifact?

Tulk,

I had something like that a while back on my Swart. Change out the 12AX7 and all was well. Also, do you have another cab / speaker to try? My guess pre-amp tube or speaker.

Tulk,

I had something like that a while back on my Swart. Change out the 12AX7 and all was well. Also, do you have another cab / speaker to try? My guess pre-amp tube or speaker.

Shoud have some 12AX7s around to try. Speaker load is 4ohms. Everything else in the house is either 8ohm or 16ohm. Crossing digits it's the pre.

Throw two 8 ohm cabs/speakers in series and you get a 4 ohm load.

Just in case the 12AX7 doesn't work - it should.

Guess I could rewire the 2x12 16ohm cab for 4ohms. Or!! This just came to me ... I have the original 2x10 4ohm speaker setup still mounted on the original baffle! Yeah, that'd work. If the pre swap doesn't do it, I'll try that. Thanks.

Don't mean to be rude but that's incorrect.

2 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms.

2 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms.

For series simpy add the impedances: R1 + R2 + ... Rn = Rtotal.

For parallel it's the product of the impendances divided by the sum of the impedances: (R1 * R2 * ... Rn) / (R1 + R2 + ... Rn) = Rtotal

Another way to calcualte to total impedance when in parallel is the sum of the reciprocals:

1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn = 1/Rtotal

Don't mean to be rude but that's incorrect.

2 8 ohm speakers in series is 16 ohms.

2 8 ohm speakers in parallel is 4 ohms.

For series simpy add the impedances: R1 + R2 + ... Rn = Rtotal.

For parallel it's the product of the impendances divided by the sum of the impedances: (R1 * R2 * ... Rn) / (R1 + R2 + ... Rn) = Rtotal

Another way to calcualte to total impedance when in parallel is the sum of the reciprocals:

1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn = 1/Rtotal

Doh! ;)

Aww... opened this posting hoping to read a scary story from Halloween.

(It was a dark and scary night. An old guitar from Parons's St was sitting all by itself on a stand. Suddenly a note rang out. It was 'the note' that we hear about now and again... and there behind the guitar... shudder... was Les Paul himself. And he said to a pale white Kenny... Tell Marv to put my name on their 150 - this is what I'M TALKING 'BOUT!!!! Oh, and BOO!).

(It was a dark and scary night. An old guitar from Parons's St was sitting all by itself on a stand. Suddenly a note rang out. It was 'the note' that we hear about now and again... and there behind the guitar... shudder... was Les Paul himself. And he said to a pale white Kenny... Tell Marv to put my name on their 150 - this is what I'M TALKING 'BOUT!!!! Oh, and BOO!).

Hey Randy, I want some of what ever you're havin' I like your train of thought though !

Just sayin' ;)

51DCZ3D345L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

LMAO!!

Archived