Heritage Owners Club

Head switcher's

JeffB

Rolled my ankle really bad. Cant walk, got wife and daughter making coffee, tea, and sandwiches while I sit on the couch with the tv remote and lap top and a cat that thinks it cool to have a lap to sleep on all day.

Pretty much done lots of web surfing and have figured out a great switching system for my Lone Star and the Electra Dyne(when I gets it)

The Rocktron Loop8 and midi mate will handle amp and channel switching duties but I will need a head switcher to run with it.

Any recommendations? Im leaning towards the Radial Headbone so far.

Do you need a head switcher or an amp selector? In other words are A) both heads going to be using the same speaker cab, or B)will each have it's own cab? Because if it's the latter I would suggest the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector. I've been using one for several years now with great results & zero problems. For a full descrption of it's functions I suggest downloading the manual off this page:

http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

Do you need a head switcher or an amp selector? In other words are A) both heads going to be using the same speaker cab, or B)will each have it's own cab? Because if it's the latter I would suggest the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector. I've been using one for several years now with great results & zero problems. For a full descrption of it's functions I suggest downloading the manual off this page:

http://www.voodoolab.com/ampselector.htm

Thanks. I will be wanting a head switcher. Both heads will be going into the same cab.

I did consider 2 heads and 2 212 cabs but thlnk its going to be a slightly cumbersome rig to lug around and set up and an extra speaker cab and mic to run would just make it more so.

It appears that you have found the only commercial unit that does this. I have one but don't use it much. Never had a problem with it. One caveat you may hit is in the effects loop.

From the Owner's Manual:

"Q: I have heard that using an echo with a head switcher can cause a problem with the amps. Is this true?

A: It depends on where the delay is positioned in the signal chain. If the delay is placed before the Headbone, there is no problem. If the delay device is placed after the Headbone, or in an amplifier’s effects loop, you can have a problem because the echo may continue to generate a signal and send it through the “stand-by” amp with no speaker load connected. It is generally not good to run an amp this way as the output transformer can heat up and ultimately short out. Thus, always put delay and looping devices before the Headbone in the signal chain."

Sounds like fun!

It appears that you have found the only commercial unit that does this. I have one but don't use it much. Never had a problem with it. One caveat you may hit is in the effects loop.

From the Owner's Manual:

"Q: I have heard that using an echo with a head switcher can cause a problem with the amps. Is this true?

A: It depends on where the delay is positioned in the signal chain. If the delay is placed before the Headbone, there is no problem. If the delay device is placed after the Headbone, or in an amplifier’s effects loop, you can have a problem because the echo may continue to generate a signal and send it through the “stand-by” amp with no speaker load connected. It is generally not good to run an amp this way as the output transformer can heat up and ultimately short out. Thus, always put delay and looping devices before the Headbone in the signal chain."

Sounds like fun!

That could be a problem. I was going to run an fx unit like a t.c g major with stereo in and outs to both amps and run it through the fx loop of each head. Just for delays and reverbs. Always something. :boxing:

I'm guessing that you'd be better off using the GMajor before the HeadBone. That is, unless you have a cache of transformers lying about.

I'm guessing that you'd be better off using the GMajor before the HeadBone. That is, unless you have a cache of transformers lying about.

Really like delay in the loop, not before an over driven preamp.

Seems like I will have to get an amp switcher and lug two 212s and run two mics.

Get a CabBone too and Y the foot-pedal so it switches the two Radial units simultaneously. One cab is a 2x12, the other a load. It would cost about the same and save about 35lbs (~15kg).

Get a CabBone too and Y the foot-pedal so it switches the two Radial units simultaneously. One cab is a 2x12, the other a load. It would cost about the same and save about 35lbs (~15kg).

Huh...Steiner, It makes sense, but Im doing my head in trying to figure the hook up of that out. ;);)

Thanks for your help by the way. Im hanging out to get all the pieces necessary to get this underway. Ive always had very simple set ups. Just feel like stepping out for once and getting the rig I wouldve wanted 25yrs ago. :boxing:

Hey Tulley, just an aside, sorry to hear about your ankle injury. Hope you are up and around quickly. Be nice to the cat!!!

Thanks. Im having sometime off work. But its the boring kind where youre house bound and forced to be quiet and obedient or go thirsty and hungry.

When I did it the pain was so severe the people in the house across the road felt it.

Took 18mths to heal last time I did it. Same ankle. Guess its a weak spot now.

The cat can stare me out. We've been having competitions.

The above configuration would work but I suggest getting the new amp first and play the two together - at the same time. There's nothing sweeter than a multi-amp configuration. If you A-B/Y them you won't HAVE to play both together but you probably will :boxing:

Thanks for the ideas and links etc. Aint going to be happening for a while. I cancelled my order for the Electra Dyne. Going to take some unpaid time off from work. Maybe revisit this thing further down the track.

Archived