Heritage Owners Club

Second speaker connection

Spectrum13

Been mixing different cab and head combinations and have a question.

My Goodsell head puts out 2 or 7 watts and has two speaker outs from the head.

I like the closed back Celestion V30 (8 ohms) plugged into one imput and a openbacked Mojo Greenback (also 8 ohms) plugged into the second imput.

On the 2 watts setting it's a very nice and clean at a good volume but on the 7 watts it's only a little more volume (then the 2 watts) With only one speaker at 7 watts, much more volume.

What does adding another 8 ohm load do? I really like the sound at 7 watts and the voulme is perfect for home use.

What is the amp rated for--8 ohms or 16? If each jack is rated for 8 ohms, then you're safe.

As far as volume level, the difference between 2 watts and 7 watts is minimal. In fact, for a volume level twice as loud, you need TEN times the power output.

For example, 20 watts is needed for a volume level twice as loud as 2 watts.

What is the amp rated for--8 ohms or 16? If each jack is rated for 8 ohms, then you're safe.

As far as volume level, the difference between 2 watts and 7 watts is minimal. In fact, for a volume level twice as loud, you need TEN times the power output.

For example, 20 watts is needed for a volume level twice as loud as 2 watts.

TSteel,

Switch for 8 or 16 Ohms

Set at 8

Been mixing different cab and head combinations and have a question.

My Goodsell head puts out 2 or 7 watts and has two speaker outs from the head.

I like the closed back Celestion V30 (8 ohms) plugged into one imput and a openbacked Mojo Greenback (also 8 ohms) plugged into the second imput.

On the 2 watts setting it's a very nice and clean at a good volume but on the 7 watts it's only a little more volume (then the 2 watts) With only one speaker at 7 watts, much more volume.

What does adding another 8 ohm load do? I really like the sound at 7 watts and the voulme is perfect for home use.

Every amp I've encountered has its speaker outputs wired in parallel. If that's the case with the Goodsell, wiring two 8ohm cabs will give you a 4ohm load

Your amps switch is for the total impedance the amp will see. 1 8 ohm speaker, the amp sees 8 ohms. Two 8 ohms speakers in parallel gives you 4 ohms, two 8 ohm speakers in series give you 16 ohms. The two outputs are wired in parallel and you don't have a 4 ohm tap. You probably wont dammage the amp by running both speakers, but you may notice a volume and/or tone change. If you want to run both 8 ohms speakers and present a load your amps wants to see, you have to rewiring to do so that both speakers are in series and present a 16 ohm load to your amp.

Archived