Heritage Owners Club

On the hunt for a bedroom Amp - possibilities?

pegleg32

I know I'm stealing my own thread, but you guys have to hear this Buchanan guy:

I saw Roy in a small two hundred seat club called "My Father's Place" in Old Roslyn Village LI,NY in the late 70's. He did a Hendrix set that included; Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing and Angel with a tele into a blackface Vibrolux Reverb, no effects. It haunts me to this day!

Get the Gibson GA-5; blusey at low volume x100.

One other possibility would a Vintage47 amp. This guy clones old Valcos. http://www.vintage47amps.com/files/ Very simple design. Blues harp players like 'em a lot.

If it's anything like my 53 National, they get fat and dirty really quickly and fairly low volume. Some guy named Billy F Gibbons seems to have bought several, whoever he is. :mad:

I did my TOP blues with the National if you want an idea of what it sounds like. Mine was track2 in the voting.

buddy David suggests Zvex Nano as a possibility. some local guys have had trouble w/the UA attenuator. Aracom (a local outfit, Jeff Aragaki has put some of his things up @ CBPerkins & i've been real impressed w/his amps) now has an attenuator that's getting very well received. pricey, but may be the ticket.

me, i just a 50w amp rig yesterday, ran it at about 1/4 vol (gig vol.), hooked a Tim pedal into it, cranked the vol down and gain up and was getting good sounds at mouse-fart levels. if it's a pretty big mouse...

buddy David suggests Zvex Nano as a possibility. some local guys have had trouble w/the UA attenuator. Aracom (a local outfit, Jeff Aragaki has put some of his things up @ CBPerkins & i've been real impressed w/his amps) now has an attenuator that's getting very well received. pricey, but may be the ticket.

me, i just a 50w amp rig yesterday, ran it at about 1/4 vol (gig vol.), hooked a Tim pedal into it, cranked the vol down and gain up and was getting good sounds at mouse-fart levels. if it's a pretty big mouse...

Hey Jeff, I can't get the first link to come in, the second may be just a $1 or $2 more than I was planning on spending - lol.

I hope you are going to post a thread on your new amp, interested in what you got???!!!!

One other possibility would a Vintage47 amp. This guy clones old Valcos. http://www.vintage47amps.com/files/ Very simple design. Blues harp players like 'em a lot.

If it's anything like my 53 National, they get fat and dirty really quickly and fairly low volume. Some guy named Billy F Gibbons seems to have bought several, whoever he is. :mad:

I did my TOP blues with the National if you want an idea of what it sounds like. Mine was track2 in the voting.

Tal, this guy really takes an interesting approach to amp building. Concentrates on being "original" and of one particular time period. Pretty neat. Prices not unreasonable.

Hey Jeff, I can't get the first link to come in,

??, works for me...

the second may be just a $1 or $2 more than I was planning on spending - lol.

yeahman :mad:

I hope you are going to post a thread on your new amp, interested in what you got???!!!!

started

I have a Li'l Dawg D-Lux (5E3) which is similar to Sarah's amp that you have. You do not need to buy a bed room amp but just an attenuator. I use my 5E3 at home plenty using my attenuator. I have an Ultimate Attenuator which allows me to play the amp at low volumes. This is not inexpensive, but is likely less expensive than a new amp (e.g <$500).

Good Luck,

Bob

post-555-1262304341_thumb.jpg

It looks very interesting, but again the price is a little high.

Remember we are looking for cheap, low power (or at least volume), adequate sounding amps. An amp that if you played it at mouse fart levels, you would be glad to record with.

Actually the "T" version is NOT the same amp. I believe it uses a 6X4 rectifier and a 6BM8 power tube. It sounds nothing like the standard GA-5 with the 5Y3, 6V6 and 12ax7.

It appears there are numerous versions of the GA5 as well. Check out the versions listed here: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/gg/amps.html

It appears there are numerous versions of the GA5 as well. Check out the versions listed here: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/gg/amps.html

Thanks Mike, appreciate the pm.

Tal, I also came across that website and found much of interest there, then went to his links which led me to this website which was also helpful:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/rockinjohn/skylark_ga_5.html

Thanks Mike, appreciate the pm.

Tal, I also came across that website and found much of interest there, then went to his links which led me to this website which was also helpful:

http://www.angelfire.com/blues/rockinjohn/skylark_ga_5.html

Here's one.......................

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Another consideration is the GA5 Les Paul Reissue Amp. It's a modern take on the vintage models and great sounding at bedroom levels.

Here's one that's been cosmetically modded on FleaBay.

GA5 Reissue

Thanks Gitfiddler, I wrote the guy to see what the tube complement is. Interesting that the starting price is the same as the real one Mike recommended!!

something learned/noticed/realized recently: First Act is selling out ther V-stack amps. so, the 40-50w w/all the modes & FX is going for <$100. web links are broke, so you have to call 'em to get any info or order. search web or TGP on model "VA851", if interested.

i see the pedals (i loved my Tweedy) are going for $80-100, also. less than 1/2 the original Steve Webster-era prices. good for getting good tones at low volume or for use as instrument pre-amp to a P.A. if you blow a tube amp at a gig...

something learned/noticed/realized recently: First Act is selling out ther V-stack amps. so, the 40-50w w/all the modes & FX is going for <$100. web links are broke, so you have to call 'em to get any info or order. search web or TGP on model "VA851", if interested.

i see the pedals (i loved my Tweedy) are going for $80-100, also. less than 1/2 the original Steve Webster-era prices. good for getting good tones at low volume or for use as instrument pre-amp to a P.A. if you blow a tube amp at a gig...

Good price on those amps but I totally know nothing about them. I don't know anything about the tweedy pedal either but that thing picques my interest. At $80, how could you go wrong?

Thanks Gitfiddler, I wrote the guy to see what the tube complement is. Interesting that the starting price is the same as the real one Mike recommended!!

The GA5 reissue is using the standard el84 and 12ax7 tube setup that so many amps are using nowadays. Don't think you can define the sound from that but it gives a clue.

The GA5 reissue is using the standard el84 and 12ax7 tube setup that so many amps are using nowadays. Don't think you can define the sound from that but it gives a clue.

I have two of the GA5 reissues and really enjoy their bark at low volumes. The low impedance channel 2 is best for humbuckers, channel 1 is great for single coils, but both have a gradual, but sweet break-up as volume is increased.

The modern interpretation of the original is very good, plus they are hand made, hand wired point to point with all the good stuff (e.g. Sprague, Mallory, Weber, etc.). Overall they are fun little amps...for home and studio...although a bit one-dimensional. Stick a few pedals in front for effects and things get interesting. :smile_mini2:

Take a peek...

post-8-1262652072_thumb.jpg

post-8-1262652411_thumb.jpg

post-8-1262652153_thumb.jpg

Archived