Heritage Owners Club

the G&L amp at NAMM 2010

rjsanders

from http://www.glguitars.com/news/index.asp - looks like they went a diffrnt route than the Heritage Vic platform:

The Whipper Snapper (MSRP $1999) is a medium-powered all-tube combo amp capable of producing a wide range of clean and overdriven tones. Available in April, the Whipper Snapper is based on a late 1950s 5E3 circuit. G&L has modified this classic design to accommodate the needs of today's players looking for a portable yet flexible amp. The Whipper Snapper is right at home in almost any situation, from practice and rehearsals to recording and live performances.

The G&L name is synonymous with quality and tone, and the made-in-the-USA Whipper Snapper continues that legacy by sporting premium components. It delivers with its modified 5E3 circuit hand-wired on a vintage-type eyelet board, supporting a pair of J&J 12AX7 preamp tubes (may be substituted with 12AT7 for lower-gain sound), GZ34 rectifier tube which provides natural compression or "sag", and a pair of J&J 6V6 output tubes. Making the most of the sonic possibilities are treble and bass knobs plus volume with pull-bright feature, while superb tone emanates from the Whipper Snapper's 12" Jensen P-12Q speaker, loaded into a solid pine finger-jointed cabinet for warmth and unmatched dynamics.

Huh? ^_^

the report from my "agents"/operatives (actually, "agent", cuz one of 'em's a drummer, so she doesn't count, here) says little (the G&L description was pretty general), except that it's called "Whipper Snapper" and w/o actual playing experience doesn't seem to promise anything interesting at first glance...

info on the Guitar Adoptions site: http://www.guitaradoptions.com/g-l-whipper-snapper-amp.html

"Whipper Snapper- Hand-wired all tube amplifier

Based on a late 1950’s tweed amplifier comes the definitive evolution of a classic. G&L’s own Whipper Snapper. The Whipper Snapper is a medium-powered amplifier capable of producing a wide range of clean and overdriven tones with just the tweak of four controls. This vintage design has been modified to accommodate today’s player’s needs, for a portable yet flexible amplifier making it right at home in almost any playing situation, from practice to rehearsals to recording and live performances.

The Whipper Snapper is an all tube 18 watt hand-wired amplifier coupled with a 12” Jensen® P-12Q speaker, a duet of 6V6 output tubes, two 12AX7 preamp tubes, a 5Y3GT rectifier tube and loaded into a solid pine cabinet for warmth and unmatched dynamics.

Specifications:

Output: 18 watts

Speaker: One 12 inch, Alnico-Magnet, Jensen® P-12Q speaker (8 ohm)

Channels: One with High and Low inputs to accommodate both single-coil and humbuckered instruments.

Features:

* Modified late 1950’s 5E3 circuit • Hand-wired all-tube circuitry on eyelet board

* Finger-joined solid Pine cabinet resonates with a warm, woody tone

* Volume w/pull Bright, Treble, Bass and On/Off controls

* Two J&J 6V6 output tubes

* Two 12AX7 preamp tubes, one of which may be substituted with a 12AT7 for lower-gain sound, if desired

* 5Y3GT rectifier tube provides natural compression or "sag"

* Jewel lamp power indicator • Leather strap handle

* Made in USA

* Tube Complement: 2-12AX7, 2-6V6, 1-5Y3

Available: April 2010"

SKU SKU19052

List Price: $1999.00

MAP Price: $1549.99

==========

pics here on the G&LDP: http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main....navId=xa4b5173c

yeahman, w/Lane Zastrow on board i woulda thought they had the opportunity to bring back the Heritage Victory w/maybe a cool update. maybe even the feature set of the Victory head in a combo format...oh, well...i don't think Sara Richter has any worries re this

Just a bit underwhelmed, personally. Rather pedestrian entry into the amp market. I'm sure it's a fine Deluxe. Just that it seems to be something everyone else is making.

My thoughts also. I guess the road well traveled is the easier road to go down. Or maybe there is nothing new that sounds any better than the amps from the "good old days". This could be an entire discussion so I'll quit before I get myself in trouble.

To me, this is a disappointment... Another 5E3 for $2000? It's a case of deja vu all over again.

I would have thought that G&L would have come up with something a bit more unique.

Yeah the world needs another 533 clone like it needs another Tube Screamer clone.

I too am at a bit of a loss on this one.

A Clark Beaufort, which is considered a "high piced", boutique 5E3 combo goes fo $1,799 with a celestion blue. I had Jim at Li'l Dawg build me a 5E3 head with mercury magnatics transformer, 1950s RCA NOS tubes (blackplates) and a custom peter mather cabinet for a about $1,000. I suppose like most things guitar, the "street price" might be $1,400 but best of luck to G&L. They are competeing with Fender, Victoria, Clark, Richter, Tungsten, Li'l Dawg, Louis Electric, Collins, Ceriatone, Marsh, Frenzel, Greer, Mission, Weber, Blankenship, Hullet and the used market (an already crowded market). I really would have thought they would have brought something different to the table, but maybe I am missing some aspect of the amp?

My $.02

Bob

I too am at a bit of a loss on this one.

A Clark Beaufort, which is considered a "high piced", boutique 5E3 combo goes fo $1,799 with a celestion blue.

Bob

Are they that expensive now? You used to be able to get those new for aroung $1200 - I did. One of the cleanest amps I ever had. I just found I'm more of a el84 guy than a 6v6 guy (Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reinhardt 18, Vox AC51H1TV, XITS X10).

Are they that expensive now? You used to be able to get those new for aroung $1200 - I did. One of the cleanest amps I ever had. I just found I'm more of a el84 guy than a 6v6 guy (Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Reinhardt 18, Vox AC51H1TV, XITS X10).

A Beaufort now goes for $1,699 with a Weber and $1,799 with a Celestion. A Victoria 20112 lists for $1,999. A Louis Electric Buster is $1595. All of these builders are high end boutique builders with solid reputations. The other companies are also excellent (Like Jim N at Li'l Dawg) all sell products for less. These are what the G&L amp is priced against.

http://www.clarkamplification.com/beaufort.html

http://www.victoriaamp.com/amps.html?model=20112

http://www.louisamps.com/content/buster.asp

Bruno Tweedy Pie 18 lists for $1999. my buddy's came w/Celestion Blue & he's selling it for $1400, minty.

if i were in the market for a 2x6V amp, it'd probably be a Richter ($800?) or a Dr. Z Z28 or an Allen...

Yeah the world needs another 533 clone like it needs another Tube Screamer clone.

Funny you mention that... Did you see the Ibanez Tube Screamer amp?

2 6V6s, 15 watts with a built in TS. And just a few HUNDRED bucks, not a few thousand. Ok, it's not hand made!

Funny you mention that... Did you see the Ibanez Tube Screamer amp?

2 6V6s, 15 watts with a built in TS. And just a few HUNDRED bucks, not a few thousand. Ok, it's not hand made!

To fair, this amp was just announced last week so not many folks are aware of it. I am sure at a $299 price point, they will do very well with it.

http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-TSA15H

To fair, this amp was just announced last week so not many folks are aware of it. I am sure at a $299 price point, they will do very well with it.

http://www.ibanez.com/Electronics/model-TSA15H

Yeah...kinda seems like a logical progression..People have been running a TS-9 into a tube amp for eons..so why not?

Archived