Heritage Owners Club

Cool amps

Anybody have any cool old amps? I have an old Super Reverb its a 67 or 68 I had to have it rebuilt a couple times but its as original as I could get it. I also have an all original Vibro Champ sounds great cranked but have to mike it.

One more thing, does anybody know anything about the amps Brad Paisley uses, I have never seen any like the ones he has on stage.

Oh man, here comes Trouble! ^_^

The last I knew, Brad Paisley was a staunch endorser of Dr. Z amps out of Cleveland.

I have a couple amps, the oldest dating into the 60's. I think amps are cool in their own right. They all have something to give. One of mine is 4 Watts, one is 220 Watts (EL34s). I have them with high gain, lots of clean, single or multi-channel, some have reverb, some have tube rectifiers, some solid-state, some have both. I have 'em with single, double, quad and one with 6 inputs. The more I learn about amps, the more I find I don't know.

Just as spices can be used to enhance or destroy the flavor of food, the same can be said of every factor / element between the pick and sound passing through the grille cloth. Amps are cool spices!

Just as spices can be used to enhance or destroy the flavor of food, the same can be said of every factor / element between the pick and sound passing through the grille cloth. Amps are cool spices!

No greater truth can be spoken.

'66 Super Reverb

'69 Pro Reverb

'69 Marshall small box 50 watt head (the first month of the metal panel - plexi tone, mortal price)

Dr Z Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

Vox AC15H1TV - reworked by Don "Tone Man" Butler

Xits X10

Braid Paisley used to use Dr. Z amps and as far as I know still does.

'66 Super Reverb

'69 Pro Reverb

'69 Marshall small box 50 watt head (the first month of the metal panel - plexi tone, mortal price)

Dr Z Carmen Ghia

Reinhardt 18

Vox AC15H1TV - reworked by Don "Tone Man" Butler

Xits X10

Braid Paisley used to use Dr. Z amps and as far as I know still does.

Ok thats what I'm talking bout those are some cool amps. I have to admit though that all my old stuff stays at home these days. I started using a Valve King and running it straight to the pa, it's simple and bullet proof and I still get 6L6 tone. I also only use a couple of analog pedals. In my old age simple is better maybe I'm getting lazy lol.

I have a bunch of old tube amps...I'm not really a fan of modern "gain" amps, I prefer to use whatever power I need & just crank it

those little 15-20w amps sure can give it up!! especially if you feed them into a 4x12

I have a bunch of old tube amps...I'm not really a fan of modern "gain" amps, I prefer to use whatever power I need & just crank it

those little 15-20w amps sure can give it up!! especially if you feed them into a 4x12

I LOVE small amps into a BIG cabinet. Sounds f'in' amazing!

All I have is a vintage set of 1951 fingers. They still work pretty well with most amps though. That's funny.

Amps are my biggest vice!

I have had several come and go, some good, some great, some bad, and some really really bad! I just recently got hooked on building so I think my next few will come from my own two hands.

Amongst my current inventory:

'95 Blues Deville 4x10

'65 Ampeg Reverb Rocket 2x12

Bearpaw Growler - 7 watt high gain built by Jim Barrett in Redford, MI

'79 Musicman 112rp sixty five (just sold it, only had it a short while but already miss it)

P1 Extreme/ax84 - 10 watt homemade (http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8851)

- Just ordered parts for my second build; going to be around 20 watts with a few extra bells and whistles added on.

I have had several come and go, some good, some great, some bad, and some really really bad! I just recently got hooked on building so I think my next few will come from my own two hands.

'95 Blues Deville 4x10

'79 Musicman 112rp sixty five (just sold it, only had it a short while but already miss it)

P1 Extreme/ax84 - 10 watt homemade (http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8851)

- Just ordered parts for my second build; going to be around 20 watts with a few extra bells and whistles added on.

Building your own sounds really cool. I should probably learn how to at least fix my my own I break a lot of stuff. Our sound guy just informed me my wireless is trash, guess that's my next purchase. Buying new stuff is cool as long as your not replacing stuff you broke.

'95 Blues Deville 4x10

How about a picture of the '65 Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12? I don't think I've ever seen one and from what I recall they only came in a 1x12.

I have a "59 Gibson tweed Gibsonette GA-8.. 8 watts into a 10 inch speaker..Sounds great clean with my P-90 equipped H-137..Seems to love pedals too..Oh, and if I haven't said so, Welcome to the HOC!!

Pics of old Ampegs? Well, I just got my old SB-12 Portaflex back from the doc; her tubes were tired and her caps were shot. (Unfortunately, the doc missed that her jacks were, well, worth jack. Guess I'll have to deal with that myself.)

Two inputs: "bass," and "instrument." Bass players, we get no respect. I guess that's what happens when you spend all your time standing next to drummers.

001-9.jpg

How about a picture of the '65 Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12? I don't think I've ever seen one and from what I recall they only came in a 1x12.

I could be wrong on the year... guy I bought it from told me '65 but I never really got that far trying to date it ;)

It's sitting out at my brothers house at the moment, he was going to buy it from me but forgot the whole part where that meant he was supposed to actually give me money! Funny how that happens with little brothers sometimes... (or at least mine)

Whenever I find the time/motivation to head up there to rescue/reposes it I'll open her up again and get some pics

The only vintage 2x12 Ampegs I've ever seen were the Echo Twin, Super Echo Twin, B-12-XT,GV-22 and VT-22. Could it be a reissue? Here's my '65 Reverberocket:

Picture944.jpg

That's one sharp looking Ampeg!

I've always been a fan of Ampegs, but I am far from an expert on them. It could very well be a reissue... though it sure didn't look (or smell) the part - but of course for all I know it probably just had a rough life with it's prior owner... one things for sure my curiosity sure is peaked now.

The only last thing I can say about it is that it doesn't have the slanted cab - just a squared off rectangular box. Which seems to just mean it was probably one of the earlier re-issues (most likely mid to late 90's)

Sure feel like a heel for labeling at as '65 now though :o

It's about time for a new amp, why don't you guys send all your amps to me for a couple months to test drive! Lol

Haven't fired up my old Bassman in a while..Slider 313 retubed it and did some much needed maintanence on it a while back..Haven't used since I quit playing bass..May need to fire it up and use that "normal" channel on it..

Archived