Heritage Owners Club

Gries Amps

Anyone here familiar with Gries Amps? They have a new single end amp with reverb on their that sounds interesting and I can't find any information on them past their web site. Supposedly they are using the Fender blackface formats for their amp builds. The Seahorse Reverb is the new amp and sounds like it would be something I'd like to try.

Its frustrating seeing these small amp manufacturers advertise interesting products you have no way to demo other than shelling out $1-2k. There ought to be a better way...

Anyone here familiar with Gries Amps? They have a new single end amp with reverb on their that sounds interesting and I can't find any information on them past their web site. Supposedly they are using the Fender blackface formats for their amp builds. The Seahorse Reverb is the new amp and sounds like it would be something I'd like to try.

Its frustrating seeing these small amp manufacturers advertise interesting products you have no way to demo other than shelling out $1-2k. There ought to be a better way...

Haven't heard of Gries Amps... but I know the feeling of frustration of which you speak! There are just so many great amp builders out there the temptation to taste test all of them is nearly overwhelming - but it seems the best you can usually get is a .mp3 or a youtube clip, and by the time the tone is recorded, processed, compressed, etc... and then played through your typical laptop/computer speakers, you know your just not quite getting the real thing.

I just got into building amps thinking that might help take the edge off a little, but now I've unleashed a whole new monster... just as a I finished up one I'm starting another!

• 3 years later...

This topic is WAY old but I wanted to resurrect this in case anyone is interested in these amps. I can speak from experience that Gries Amps are AMAZING!!!! I will never sell the one I own. It is a Gries 35 which is a 35 watt Blackface Clone that is all point to point hand built to order by David Gries. He is an amazing guy and I had one built after speaking with him for a few hours on the phone sight unseen. He will do whatever you ant with the tolex covering options and speaker combos. Mine has the Eminence Tonkerlite speaker and I am running it at 22 watts with 6V6 tubes. The cool thing is that the bias is user adjustable, so if I need more clean headroom, all I have to do is throw the 6L6's back in and the quick turn of a screw with my multimeter on and its running at 35 watts!!!! I really cannot say enough about the guy and his company, albeit very small (Him and his cats). I have called him @ 6:00PM on a sunday and he answers the phone!!!!

Disclaimer: In no way am I affiliated with this company other than being a fanatical supporter of his quality work! =) & The only quality photo I have of the amp has my SG in the picture with it (Sorry).

IMG_2038_zpsd1d5754e.jpg

Looks like a great amp, btw SGs are cool also ;)

Yea, I love it. The SG too! :P If I was better at playing lead, I would post up a video, maybe I will invite over my friend over soon to play it with the new 535 so it can truly be heard! :D

Archived